jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Unique RSS feeds or Links to Your Own Hubs. Which is better?

1. 0
    kelleywardposted 4 years ago

I've heard that it is both good and not good to create your own RSS feeds on your hubs. Before I spend time removing all my RSS feeds I wanted to get advice on this from experienced hubbers. Do you provide links to your own hubs or use RSS feeds and why?

1. WannaB Writer profile image92
      WannaB Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Are you asking whether it's best to link to other hubs or to post an RRS feed from one of our blogs, instead? I've never tried an RSS feed for a blog on HubPages. I would say the key is how related the links or feeds are to your hub.

2. janderson99 profile image86
      janderson99posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I use simple links with modified anchor text (not the exact title text) for referring to related hubs. (you can't do this with the RSS capsule). I have a spreadsheet of titles and I use a filter to select related titles using this method. For recent hubs I includ the achor text in the body of the text - which is the best way. For older hubs I have a list of links in a capsule labelled "Other Relavant Articles"

I don't use RSS because it comes with a block of text copied from the source page. If you add this text to multiple pages there is a risk that it may incur a ranking downgrade by Google who may see you have used text from one page and placed it on other pages. (Google can apply a duplicate penalty for the same text on multiple pages within your hub - there is debate about how much - a threshold percentage).

However, I do use external RSS feeds because the text that comes from these is not derived from my own pages. This provides a list of references that adds authority and uses like to see the 'Latest News of Topic X'.

I have no data to back this up - but my traffic has survived - so far.

Other people have lots of other opinions - this simply my 'two-bobs worth'.

2. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

Personally, I use both textual links and tag based RSS feeds to interlink my hubs.  Some care must be taken to make sure the links in the RSS feeds are relevant to the hub, though.

3. 0
    kelleywardposted 4 years ago

Thanks everyone! I have been adding RSS feeds to my hubs and noticed that my views have seemed to stagnate. I wondered if this could be one of the reasons. Then I checked and noticed that some RSS feeds have the same hub in the RSS feed and that could be viewed as duplicate data. I'm going to remove all my RSS feeds in my hubs and only use them externally. Thanks again!