jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)

Starving writers, prepare to die a little bit inside... :-)

1. paradigmsearch profile image87
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

A short, one-paragraph article.

http://now.msn.com/living/0629-50-grey-millions

Actually, I'm not so sure I agree with the first sentence of the article. I'd be more than happy to make 20 million bucks with a piece of crap. And now I know it's possible. big_smile

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Bondage will be my new niche topic. smile

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

lol lol

paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hey, Cags.

Seems like everything around here is either deadly serious or sandpit; no middle ground anymore....

What's a poor forum-inhabitant to do...? big_smile

1. Cagsil profile image60
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Whatever you can to find joy, amusement, entertainment or just something to make yourself smile.

Something positive is always good. wink

I shall start my 5-Shades-of-Puce hub...

1. AEvans profile image71
            AEvansposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Lolololo! Now I don't feel alone. Wow! I would like to have that bank account. lololo!

3. Randy Godwin profile image93
    Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago

A little hype goes a long way.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6812619.jpg

A very, very, very good point!!!

4. Cheeky Girl profile image87
    Cheeky Girlposted 5 years ago

My next hub will be "10 things you can do with Handcuffs with your partner"! LOL! Not!

Though on second thoughts... smile

5. profile image60
    sandynposted 5 years ago

Just finished reading another terribly written novel which has been published as both an e-book and paperback; yet I have three well-written books as e-books and have sold a whopping total of 8 books.  I suppose I need some hype myself, although I admit I don't know where to start.  Perhaps I'll meet some celeb who might put in a good word for me (yeah, and pigs fly!) :-)

6. CMHypno profile image90
    CMHypnoposted 5 years ago

If Eric from Trueblood is going to be in the film and get his kit off a lot, I don't care how crappy the book is lol

I love these books that sell millions and cause the high-brow authors and literary critics to howl in outrage and look down their noses at what they consider to be the abysmal standard of the writing.  Instead of bemoaning the fact that they only sold 47 copies of their latest impenetrable oeuvre, maybe they should just get on with writing something people actually want to read.

Reading for most people is enjoyment and relaxation, hence the success of this book, the Da Vinci Code, Harry Potter, Twilight el al

By the way paradigmsearch, we have great parties in the sandpit if you don't mind the snake drinking most of the booze and flicking sand in your face with his tail?

I'll drop by! lol lol lol

2. EmpressFelicity profile image82
      EmpressFelicityposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Is there room in the pit for a black and white cat, if it brings some vodka along?

A lot of so-called "lowbrow" books are actually fantastically written, but I suspect 50SoG isn't one of them (although I haven't read it so maybe I'm wrong). Books with lots of bonking in them tend not to be bought for the beautifully evocative descriptions, detailed characterisations and carefully-crafted plots lol

Just for a laugh, I read the reviews on Amazon which seem to be divided between "OMG this book's fantastic" and "what a load of drivel". I think I will be borrowing it from the library or keeping an eye out for it in the local charity shops, one of which does three paperbacks for £1 and is a cheap way to stock up on weekend reading.

1. CMHypno profile image90
        CMHypnoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree that a lot of the 'lowbrow' books are actually well written but you would have to draw out the literary types finger nails with red hot pincers before they would agree with us.  Although it is probably pure jealousy, they trash any book that sells well and that people can actually understand.

Personally, I probably won't read 50 Shades of Grey as the fact that apparently he makes her sign a contract to promise she will be 'submissive' is neither sexy or romantic as far as I'm concerned.

There's always room for a black and white cat at the pit parties, just hide the bottle from Randy!

3. Randy Godwin profile image93
      Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I resemble...er.. resent that remark, Cynthia!  lol

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6812619.jpg

7. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 5 years ago

I've already got two sets of cuffs.  At least I look like someone who would enjoy this type of thing, but I doubt very much if I would step into a submissive role.  Always the librarian-looking one who writes erotica, don't you think?  She certainly looks it!  Too tame and mousy, if you ask me.

working