There is an increasing number of companies today that use the power of a distinctive script of hand-written titles in place of a logo. Disney, Virgin, Harrods, s.Oliver, Cartier and countless established brands utilize hand-writing to give their image real dynamics while keeping it nice and friendly.
That being said, I don't count these logos among the best at all. Being fully aware that it's only a matter of personal taste, I'm still missing an actual logo, something like one of these:
I also noticed the similarity of HubPages and Harrods header designs, although we are still missing a tagline.
The reason why I don't really fancy the new HubPages logo is because it is nondescript and amorphous. These terms were used by a professional graphics designer to describe the Harrods logo. Although, I probably couldn't have found these terms all by myself, I feel they express my feelings towards the new logo quite well.
- nondescript: belonging or appearing to belong to no particular class or kind, not easily described, lacking distinctive or interesting qualities.
- amorphous: being without definite character or nature.
To cut a long story short: boring.
About logos in general
A logo should be
- simple and memorable,
- eye-catching, noticeable, attractive,
- immediately recognizable regardless of size.
It is up to you to decide which of these requirements the new HP logo fulfills for you.
Types of logos are:
- descriptive - an image that depicts, represents the company's name. Example: Batman logo.
- abstract - a symbolic representation not showing a product or service. Example: Nike Swoosh
- typographic (logotype) - uses the company's name or initials. Example: HubPages, Ford
If while reading this you went like, 'Gosh, this guy is hammering that funky new logo for no reason,' you are probably right. I only expressed my personal opinion in this hub.
More by this Author
Pok-A-Tok is a Maya ball game played, invented around 2000 BCE. It was played in teams with the objective of getting a ball through a narrow stone hoop placed high on the court wall. Players were not allowed to use...
Learn basic Arabic words and phrases as spoken in the Gulf States, and use them as a polite gesture when traveling to Dubai.
In this article I collected in one place the most significant ancient Aztec festivals, holidays and celebrations. These traditional festivals were an important part of the everyday life of the Aztecs...