M. E. Wood
Welcome to the World of Moe...
This lens is about writer, web mistress and Internet junkie M. E. Wood. Fondly known in certain internet circles as Moe or BigGirlBlue
She has been writing for BellaOnline for over eight years, runs a website for fiction writers, and blogs about her favorite plus size fashion picks. In her spare time she makes lenses like this one on Squidoo (300 so far).
Browse around to learn more about her online shenanigans but before you go please sign the guestbook below.
Citation: image copyright M. E. Wood.
Mini Q & A with Moe
Who is M.E. Wood? M.E. Wood is the abbreviated name for Maureen Eva Wood. She was born in northern Ontario in the twin city of Fort William. She is an only child and was raised by her single mother. For the last fourteen years she has lived in Eastern Ontario with her husband where she has worked as a nurse, lottery clerk and retail manager. For the last six years she has been making a living writing on the Internet.
What is with Moe? Moe is a nickname she was given by one of her childhood friends growing up. She likes to use it online because she is a lazy typist and it is quick and easy to type.
Does she know she spells her nick name wrong? Well, that is a matter of perspective. She likes the 'e' on the end. There are two e's in Maureen so it makes perfect sense to her to have at least one on the end of her nickname.
What is her favorite color? Blue, silly.
Maureen - A song by any other name...
The band Fountains of Wayne has a song dedicated to the name Maureen. It is about three minutes long on their album, Out of State Plates. You can find a short clip of it on the Amazon link below and if you like it can be purchased as an MP3 for .99 cents.
Women Named Maureen
I started a lens for women who share the name Maureen. If it is your name then you definitely have to join our brigade.
What M. E. Wood is Reading These Days? - You have to read before you can write...
Reading this for BellaOnline and PlusShe.
Reading for fun. I was lead to this book by seeing an interview with the author on TV.
The World of Plastik
This is one of Moe's favorite videos. It is only 3.5 minutes long so watch it. It is hilarious and has a great message.
Entering the Realm of the Giant Squid
Moe has been a member of Squidoo since July, 2006 but it was not until the end of 2007 that she was really bit by the Squidoo lens-making-bug. Then there was no turning back!
In June 2008, Moe was accepted into the realm of the Giant Squid. A prestigious group of lensmasters who have created fifty or more exceptional lenses.
She was tickled orange to be included with such a welcoming and talented group of men, women and animals.
My Growing List of Purple Lenses
- Plus Size Active Wear
It is a common misconception that plus size girls and women do not work out. But we know better don't we? We walk, we run, we bike, we swim, we do yoga, we do...
- Bleasdell Boulder
The Bleasdell Boulder was one of the first natural places we visited when I moved to Eastern Ontario and it left a lasting impression on me. I have always w...
- Shelby, The German Shepherd
It was love at first sight for my husband. We had a rough start getting to know one another but she has been a constant part of the family for ten years and...
- The Bell, Book Review
"As wise as serpents, as harmless as doves." Iris Murdoch's The Bell is her fourth of twenty-six published novels. It was released in 1958 but takes place in...
- My Favorite Things Shopping Blog
I had been writing for BellaOnline for about four years when I decided to start a plus size fashion blog. I really did not know what I wanted to do at the t...
- Zendalas Doodling Challenge
Remember all the notebooks and margins you used to mark up when you were sitting in class. Here's your chance to do it again and not get in to trouble for i...
- Terry's Chocolate Orange Tips
This is one of the few indulgences that I enjoy. I'm guaranteed to get one or two in my stocking and I will usually buy one while I'm doing my Christmas sho...
- Setting Up a 32 Gallon Aquarium
We first started our 10 gallon fish tank over eight years ago. We've always talked about moving up in the world and now we have finally done it. This lens...
- How to Wear Scarves
Scarves have come a long way from our Girl Guide and Girl Scout days. Instead of orange and brown you can find them in all manner of colors and patterns to suit your wardrobe and taste.
- DIY Zombie Make-Up
While it is not really expensive to buy an affordable zombie make-up kit, I thought it would be fun to see what I could do with items in my own arsenal of beauty products.
- How to Make Smoothies
A few years ago I was up late watching absolutely nothing of importance when an infomercial for the Magic Bullet came on. I was literary glued to the screen...
- 365 Journal Prompts
Whether you journal with pen or with a keyboard this list of journaling prompts will help keep you writing when you feel you have nothing to write about. Search...
- The Full Body Project Book Review
The Full Body Project has been a long time in the making. Leonard Nimoy, best known for his portrayal of Spock on Star Trek, has been teasing us with images on...
- Curvy Chics
Curvy chics are some of the most unrepresented women on the internet. In many of the top searches you find Angelina Jolie, Pamela Anderson, Paris Hilton etc. Anna Nicole Smith only made it into Lycos top fifty search terms after she died....
- The Fatgirl's Closet
Welcome to the Fatgirl's Closet lens. Here we will delve into the closets of ten women who have invited us into the inner sanctum of their clothing storage.
- Plus Size Yoga
"Yoga is possible for anybody who really wants it. Yoga is universal... But don't approach yoga with a business mind looking for worldly gain." ~Sri Krishna...
- 100 Short Story Prompts
I love to write creative writing prompts. I have been writing prompts for The Write Prompts lens for four years (every week) and have been writing prompts for...
- Plus Size Halloween Costumes
Like other times of the year, Halloween has become a commercial event. That is not always a bad thing, especially in the case of plus size Halloween costume...
- 7 Places to See in Canada Before You Die
Our family never did any traveling when I was growing up so it has always been one of my dreams. I think I am a natural explorer even though I never really venture...
- The Write Prompts
It is a word, picture, phrase, quote or set of directions to help you kick start your writing for those days when you just can not get anything to percolate (it is also a great routine to get into to keep the words flowing).
- Lana Flips
My friend Lana is flipping her first house and she has agreed to let me tag along for the ride! Hope you enjoy the trip. Who is Lana? She is a bubbly mother of two with a Honors Fine Arts degree. She plays badminton twice a week, sings, and belly dan
- The Walking Dead Quiz
The Walking Dead is a made- for- TV horror series for AMC based on an apocalyptic world where a group of survivors, led by a sheriff's deputy, try to outlive the walking dead. Below you can test your knowledge of The Walking Dead with the quizzes I c
- Plus Sized Bridal Dresses
Fifteen years ago when I needed a wedding dress, finding plus size bridal was next to impossible. None of the bridal shops carried anything over a twelve and none were willing to order in larger sizes on the off chance I was interested. Back then ord
Moe as a Moderator
Working With Other Writers
M.E. Wood got involved in the Book-in-a-week program back in July 2002 when it was only a mailing list. At first she was just a helper, then a moderator and now the owner and webmaster.
The group consists of 250 writers of varying degrees of talent and experience who get together once a month for a week of intense writing.
Together the group is able to set goals, write and share their ups and downs in a positive and safe atmosphere.
For three years it was listed as one of the Best Websites for Writers in Writer's Digest magazine.
Visit Book-in-a-week and get your Butt In Chair Hands On Keyboard Typing Away Madly (BIC HOK TAM)!
Venturing into the World of the Blogosphere
Brace for Impact...
M.E. Wood has a number of blogs. She started blogging on first blog in 2005 before she started expanding into other areas. She eventually moved that content over to her official site for simplicity.
M. E. Wood - is her official website blog where she posts updates about her lenses, her other blogs, recipes, and house stuff.
Book-in-a-Week - is a support and inspiration blog for her writing friends at Book-in-a-Week . It is updated a couple times a week.
The Write Prompts - is a spin off of a lens and is at least three years old.
She is a regular contribute at All Things Chic with a column called On the Plus Side with Moe.
M.E. Wood loves blogging!
Moe Goes Cross Country
Canada that is...
In the summer of 2007 she had the opportunity to go RVing to the West Coast with her husband, his parents (yes, the in-laws), the dog and the cat.
She blogged about the trip:
Moe as a South Park character
Just a little chubbier...
I'm not a big fan of South Park, in fact I don't watch it at all but I saw this South Park Create-a-character applet and thought "why not?"
This is a pretty good rendition of how I look although my glasses are not as square. I'm pretty much always in a t-shirt and sweats and I always look this tired.
100 Things About... Moe
Way more than anyone needed or wanted to know...
1. I like the color blue.
2. I have a German Shepherd.
3. I use to dream about being a drag racer like Shirley Muldowney.
4. I listen to Celtic music.
5. I'm afraid of spiders.
6. I love snakes... and toads.
7. I've been married 12 years.
8. I never thought I would get married.
9. I write poetry (well, I use to).
10. I have a green thumb.
11. My cat is a princess.
12. I love cowboy movies.
13. Irish men are hot.
14. I would go crazy without highspeed.
15. I eat too much red meat.
16. I still feel guilty about making a girl in grade school cry.
17. Traveling is fun, for short periods.
18. I'm addicted to Veronica Mars and Without a Trace.
19. My addictions: Movies, Chocolate, Salt.
20. I once had a cat for 18 years.
21. Warm chocolate chip cookies are the best.
22. Rainy days are soothing.
23. A little Adelaide Crapsey is good for the soul.
24. Snogging with Gerard Butler is on my to-do list.
25. I love water... but I can't swim.
26. I dropped out of highschool twice but still graduated.
27. I prefer fruit to vegetables.
28. Clementine oranges are my favorite fruit.
29. The closet doors in my bedroom must be closed at night.
30. My beverage of choice is skim milk.
31. Mocha-Java or Green Tea warm me up.
32. I like to take pictures.
33. I'm a doodler from an early age.
34. I like my Trident... gum that is.
35. Being alone isn't a bad thing.
36. I complain a lot but I'm working on it.
37. I received A's in Math and Physics.
38. Potatoes are king!
39. I love the sound of rain through an open window at night.
40. Facials are a guilty pleasure.
41. I don't get enough sleep.
42. I hate it when the dog digs.
43. I tend to repeat myself.
44. I tend to repeat myself.
45. I like to travel but I like to come home more.
46. My grammer is not the greatest.
47. I have had corrective eye surgery.
48. I don't have human children.
49. I berate my mistakes too much.
50. I'm a agoraphobe in the making.
51. I taught myself to juggle and am addicted to it.
52. I think I want to learn how to swim (but I keep changing my mind).
53. Sometimes I wished I lived in a bubble.
54. I get annoyed too easily.
55. I love the moon.
56. Many of the plants in my gardens are blue
57. I can be a bit difficult.
58. I have a large personal space.
59. I'm a bit paranoid.
60. I have my grandmother's teacups.
61. Absolutely loves warm mulled apple cider
62. Has a new kitty named JD.
63. Bought a recumbent bike for my office.
64. Totally in love with Buffy.
65. Wishes she had a bigger house.
66. I have high expectations of myself and others.
67. I probably twitter too much.
68. I watch too much tv.
69. I'm not willing to give up potatoes or chocolate, ever.
70. I like to float in shallow water.
71. I don't like clowns.
72. Love Zombie movies.
73. The Sound of Music soundtrack perks me up.
74. I daydream a LOT.
75. Procrastination really is my middle name.
76. I watch too much television.
77. I miss the 12seconds video blogging site.
78. I have a 12+lb cat named JD.
79. I have a really cool walking stick made from drift wood.
80. I love snowy days.
81. I love aviator style sunglasses.
82. Snickers really does satisfy.
83. I think the The Settlers of Catan is a very cool board game.
84. I want a large shed in the back corner of my yard.
85. I would love to have an orange or apple or peach tree in my back yard.
86. I have a tendency to over react when there is a bug in my "space".
87. I never get tired of the movies Pride and Prejudice (Colin Firth) or Sense and Sensibility (Emma Thompson).
88. There may or may not be a drawer of small teddy bears in the spare room.
89. Warm climates don't agree with me.
90. I have a temper.
91. I have a love/hate relationship with my MIL.
92. I finally ordered my first pair of Docs after coveting others for years.
93. I love to shop on eBay and Etsy.
94. I can make a pretty good Bailey's chocolate truffle.
95. I am not a good sharer.
96. I want my own home theater.
97. I want to move to a bigger house with a smaller yard.
98. I am easily overwhelmed, usually by myself.
99. I think elephants and hippos are adorable.
100. I never thought I would get to 100.
Citation: image courtesy of Shirley Muldowney.
In My CD Player
Adele is one of my favorite artists this year. The song she is singing in the video Make You Feel My Love was written by Bob Dylan. I love her version. I made a lens about Adele, of course.
Hey you! Yeah you... tell me how fabulous you are.
More by this Author
100 writing prompts with a zombie theme for writers who love to write about zombies.
It's about Maureen (s).
100 continue on writing prompts (or story starters) to get your creative juices flowing. There is no excuse for not writing!