Unusual Online Courses for a New Career
In this day and age with jobs scarce and prospects scarcer, more adults are signing up for online classes. Some are getting a more advanced degree, some just want to improve their skills. There are numerous career paths one can choose. Here are some unusual courses you can take, all of them legitimate (I think) and relatively affordable.
1) PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR - Do you enjoy intrigue and adventure? Do you like helping folks solve their problems? Learn everything you need to become a private investigator including surveillance techniques, firearm safety, corporate espionage and undercover work. Most PI's are self-employed with an average salary of $32,000 a year. Jobs include legal, corporate an financial investigation.
2) GEMOLOGIST - Do you like all things that glitter? Do you want to go for the gold? You can study and get a diploma as a gemologist. It is touted as the jewelry industry's most coveted professional credential. Categories include diamonds, colored stones and pearls. The average salary of a jeweler is $54,000 a year.
3) DOG PSYCHOLOGIST - Do you love dogs? Do you want to know what makes them tick? You can get a certificate as a dog psychologist. It is a recommended certificate program for trainers and vets. You'll learn all about the social, sexual and communication behaviors of our furry friends. The average salary of a dog trainer is $22,000 a year.
4) PARANORMAL INVESTIGATOR - Are you fascinated by things that go bump in the night? Have you always wanted to be a ghost hunter? You can become a certified paranormal investigator. You will learn how to find haunted areas, use electronic detection equipment and assemble an affordable ghost hunting kit. Yearly salary varies. Some investigators make as much as $500 an hour, most a lot less. Pretty cool though.
5) CASINO DEALER - Do you like gambling venues? Do you enjoy the games of Poker and Blackjack? You can learn to be a card dealer at a professional level. There are casinos all over the country now so employment is nearly guaranteed. And the money isn't bad. Many casino card dealers make over $50,000 a year including tips.
6) - WEDDING MINISTER - Do you get sentimental at weddings? Do you enjoy being around happy people? Then you should become a legally ordained wedding officiant. With more people getting married in untraditional settings, this job may be in demand. Most wedding ministers charge about $500 a wedding. So get your hankie out as well as your business cards.
7) ANTIQUE DEALER - Do you love antiques? Do you wish you knew more about them? You can learn to be an antique dealer or appraiser. I almost took this course myself - it is very reputable and comprehensive. You'll find everything you need to know about the world of antiques and the history that goes with them. Salary for an antique appraiser varies by region but averages about $41,000 a year.
8) STAINED GLASS PAINTER - Is there an artist bubbling inside of you? Do you love the beauty of stained glass? All the techniques and equipment are there for the learning. You will study how to use depth, highlights, and elegant long lines. You will learn how to fire your glass and many other things to create your own unique work of art. Salary for a stained glass artist varies but the average is $39,000 a year.
9) TAROT CARD READER - Do you like mystery? Do you sometimes wish you could see the future? You can get an education in the tarot. Deciding your course of study is as easy as finding out which card you are. This site is quite comprehensive for what it is. Most tarot card readers are self employed and salary will vary.
10) ONLINE GAME DESIGNER - Do you have a creative mind? Do you come up with ideas for new games but don't know what to do about it? You can get an online game degree. You learn about design, art and animation, production and programming. Many sites offer an associates or bachelors degree in online gaming. The average salary for a degreed game designer is $58,000 a year.
More by this Author
Margaret Corbin fought beside her husband during the Revolutionary War. It was not unusual for women to accompany their soldier husbands in the fields. They were called "camp followers" and would tend to...
There are things you can do to lift your spirits when you're feeling blue. Here are a few simple remedies to help you smile again.
Jewelry makes people happy. It can bring dazzle to the ordinary, make a statement, or just show the world you have good taste. Jewelry can be as unique as the maker or as comfortable as the wearer. It can be a great...