100 internet tips and sites
100 hundred tips for the internet:
1. Use google as a search engine
2. Use google news and other news sites to keep in touch with local news no matter where you are in the world
3. Run at least 2 email accounts one "work" one and another "fun" one that you sign up to websites with
4. Only use secure websites with your credit card. They are usually indicated by a locked sign. Monitor your credit card transactions for dodgy payments
5. Use internet banking it is easy and can be accessed any where
6. Invest in a smart phone, iPad or tablet to keep in touch when traveling
7. if travelling start a blog to keep everyone upto date with where you are.
8. Never email what you would not say. Keep mean things to say to someones face.
9. Join a social networking site like facebook
10. Never post anything that reflects badly on you ie pictures of you drunk, nasty comments about people, they reflect badly on you and could cost you employment in the future
11. Read online newspapers and save money
12. Join a site for your interests eg thefreshloaf.com if you are interested in making and baking bread from scratch
13. Love writing? then join the site fanfiction.com and submitt some of your work for appraisal by the public
14. Interested in having a voice in issues join getup.com
15. Use gmail as an email provider.
16. Use Skype to keep in contact with family and friends
17. Use Flickr.com to show the world your pictures
18. Like to comment on a variety of things? join voicethread.com
19. Use travel forums to get updates on the conditions of your destination.
20. Use dfat.gov.au to keep up to date on travel warnings.
21. looking for cheap flights in asia use airasia.com to find them
22. Want to share your powerpoint presentation use slideshare.com
23. When forwarding emails delete the address information from the previous sender.
24. Keep a scan of your important documents in your email account. If they get stolen you have a colour copy of them.
25. Use BCC in email to keep your boss in the loop when you send emails
26. Use google apps
27. Down load free podcasts to keep you entertained on public transport. The BBC and the ABC are good providers.
28. Make sure the next mobile that you buy has WLAN so that you can use wireless networks to send your emails on the run.
29. Use REIWA.com to listen to internet radio
30. Cant find a book use amazon.com to buy it
31. Join digg.com to keep in touch with interesting information on the internet.
32. Only use the password remember function if the computer is yours or you have a profile on it.
33. Share a computer create a profile for each user.
34. Bookmark favourite sites.
35. Use firefox as a browser or if you are social networker. Flock
35. Want to meet someone join RSVP.com.au
36. If you are going to meet someone off the net then make sure it is a public place and that someone who care for you is aware of what you are doing.
37. Personalise your toolbar
38. Always clear your private data when you use a public computer
39. Have your browser on a safe setting.
40. Always scan downloaded files before you open them
41. Keep your browser updated
42. Have a viral scan plan and keep to it
43. Every so often clean up your temporary internet files and delete your cookies
44. Always use a spam filter in your email.
45. Use your computer to store the information from your mobile phone
46. Use google chat to keep up with your friends.
47. Dont pass on those warning emails unless you are sure they are not a host to check use http://www.hoax-slayer.com/
48. Make sure your fire walls are up to date
49. Only accept friendship invitations from people you know on social networking sites.
50. Be careful what you put in twitter and social networking sites eg dont as one bright spark did " too trashed to go to work" if your boss is one of your "friends" on the site
51. Use Linux as an operating system there are less viruses
52. Use skype to contact family and friends
53. Use VOIP to call people cheaply
54. Use http://www.bugmenot.com to evade compulsory registration to websites
55. Use http://www.urbandictionary.com to keep up with all the lingo in our changing world
56. Find out all you need to on wikipedia
57. Use http://www.qipit.com to turn photos of documents into PDF's with your mobile
58. Unsure of the message that yout document is sending use http://www.boodle.com to clear it up.
59. Sick of sitting in queues use nophonetrees.com to talk directly to a person in the company of your choice
60.http://www. bossbitching.com a place to share your thoughts anonomously about your boss
61. Want some cool short cuts to use go here http://www.keyxl.com/
62. Try http://www.youmail.com as a new way of using voice mail
63. http://www.hadtosay.com so you can always say what you mean even anonymously
64. Want to talk to someone new the use http://www.tworl.com
65. Like reading and making lists maybe you should visit http://www.onmylist.com
66. Like to know if the recipient received and read your email use http;//www.spypig.com
67.need an online alarm clock go to http://www.onlineclock.net
68. Like polls then go to http://pollicious.com/
69. Like audiobooks then look at http://www.podiobooks.com/
70. Use http://www.scribd.com to rate find and use documents
71. http://wordie.org/ for words you love, hate or want to share
72. A free way of managing your money http://www.mint.com/
73. Want to use your phone as an Ereader use http://www.booksinmyphone.com/
74. Want to call the future? do it here http://www.callthefuture.org/
75. Want to send an email in the future use http://www.lettermelater.com/
76. Get off mailing lists http://www.proquo.com/
77. Not sure which book to read next consult http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/search
78. Not sure how much the taxi should cost go to http://www.worldtaximeter.com/
79. Want someones address and only have their phone number use http://www.sullr.com/
80. Like checklists go to http://www.simplychecklists.com
81. Want to travel in the US and would like a guide go to http://www.travelguidesfree.com
83. Want to make a pdf into a word document use http://www.pdfundo.net
84. Stay up to date with new website with http://www.stumbleupon.com
85. Another nice website is http://www,makeuseof.com
86. If you are not reading emails you are receiving unsubscribe or block them
87 If using gmail use labels to organise your email
88. Use folders to keep your emails ordered
89. Use the outlook calendar to keep upto date
90. If using outlook use the colour buttons to rate importance of emails
91. Turn off your computer when not in use to save electricity
92. Make sure your passwords include numbers capitals and lowercase
93. Try to use different passwords for different things ie dont use the same password for your email and your internet banking
94. Change your passwords regularly
95. Dont share your passwords
96. Supervise your children on the net
97. Install wireless internet in your home
98. Lock your wireless network down
99. Don't allow children to have computers in their rooms
100. Dont spend too much time on the internet at the expense of realtime relationships
More by this Author
Growing herbs in a tropical climate can be challenging but oh so rewarding! So come on down and have a go!