American-Initiated Riots Against African-Americans From 1900 to 1964
Below is the complete list of American (White male)-initiated riots that I could find from the beginning of the 20th century to the launching of Compulsory Inclusionism (1964). Note: I will only include those riots which resulted in property damage to the Negro community and /or Negroes who were murdered in the riot as a retaliation for a Negro crime.
Joplin, MO. Flashpoint: Murder of American police officer. (source)
Flashpoint: Negro males massacred an entire American (white) family
Flashpoint: Negro male murdered a American police officer
Flashpoint : Negro male murdered an American male
Flashpoint: Negro male assaulted his American employer
Flashpoint : Negro males' sexual assaults (rapes) of American females
Argenta, AR (AKA, North Little Rock)
Flashpoint : Negro males ambushed and murdered two innocent Americans (apparently as retaliation for a Negro being killed by an American police officer).
Flashpoint:: Negro male invaded an American's home - crawled in thru the young girl's open bedroom window and attempted to rape her. The father of the young girl chased the Negro and in an ensuing fight the father was stabbed to death. There was also another recent murder of an American male by a Negro, which added to the angry emotions of the local American population.
Note: Another version to this riot is here...
In this version, five innocent white males were mowed down by militia soldiers. Again, as in this version, Negroes' violent crimes initiated the riotous mood of the local Americans.
'Slocum Massacre' : In Anderson County (Palestine), TX, Americans attacked and killed an unknown number of Negroes. One newspaper account stated "24 Negros, 4 Whites" were killed. Motive for the violence by the Americans toward the Negroes was not disclosed. source
East St. Louis, MO
Flashpoint: Negro male strikebreakers... Major act of provocation came from the ambush/murder of two American police officers.
Flashpoint:: Negro male murdered two American policemen
Flashpoint: Negro male raped an American female. Note:: Wikipedea's version implies that racial tensions existed because of Negro strike-beakers, but this is simply false. This riot erupted over a rape. Every riot in American history where it erupted because of a Negro crime, wikipedea's version, at least it seems to me, always tries to eliminate or obfuscate Negro provocation, and make it into solely a racist act by American (white) Christian people. Again, at least it seems that way to me.
Flashpoint: A stone throwing incident by American males attacking a single Negro male for encroachment (the color line), which resulted in the drowning death of the Negro. This led to an assault on an American police officer, which then escalated.
Flashpoint: Numerous incidences of Negro males' raping American females.
Charleston, S.C. Flashpoint: A negro shot a sailor. Navy recruits - estimates put them at about 2000 - answered this attack by charging into Charleston looking for the negro who shot the sailor. When they found him he was shot (died later from his wound). In all, two people died and 19 were injured (17 were negroes).
* Syracuse, NY: Note: WOW! Wikipedia claims there was a race riot here. What it actually amounted to was blacks initiated a distrubance - involved looting and burning white people's businesses. Seems blacks believed police beat up a black male during an arrest. Turned out to be a false rumor.LINK
* Ocmulgee, Ga. Note: Wikipedia claims there was a race riot here. However, I could find no evidence of an actual "riot" - attacking innocent blacks. Three negro churches and a lodge were burned. It seems a negro, Eli Cooper, was deliberately stirring up hatred against white people, and not just demanding an "uprising" but actually planned a racial attack right down to the specific day, including that negroes " ...wipe out the white people" - a racially motivated massacre in the works. White people responded to this threat by lynching Mr. Cooper. The physical structures that were burned were determined to be associated with the meeting places of Eli Cooper and his fellow negro supporters.LINK
* Sylvester, Ga. Note: Wikipedia claims there was a race riot here. However, I have found nothing to indicate a riot actually occurred. There's nothing on the internet describing it and, most interestingly, there is no newspaper article at this LINK...reporting on a riot. Seems if a riot did actually occur... it would have made it to the newspapers.
* Putnam County, Ga. Note: Wikipedia claims there was a race riot here. Nothing on the internet about this race riot. Could it be that Wikipedia is reporting on this riot>>>Link
* Monticello, Miss. Note: Wikipedia claims there was a race riot here. However, I have found no evidence of this riot on the internet.
* Scranton, Penn, Note: Wikipedia claims a race riot took place here. However, I have found no evidence of this riot on the internet.
* Bloomington, IL Note: Wikipedia claims a race riot took place here. However, I have found no evidence of this riot on the internet.
* Newberry, S.C. Note: Wikipedia states there was a race riot. Nothing of the sort occurred. A black ex-soldier "insulted a white woman". He was arrested then whisked away by the sheriff to another county. A small number of white men came calling at the jail...only to discover the negro was not there. That was the end of it. Link
* Darby, PA Note: Wikipedia states a race riot occurred. Well, if one did occur, the newspapers missed it. A negro, who was employed by a very well liked middle-aged white man, brutally murdered his employer - skull crushed - in an apparent robbery. Feelings among many white men for a lynching were high... but it never happened. Link
* Texarkana, Tx. Note: Wikipedia claims there was a race riot here. However, I have found no evidence of this riot on the internet.
* Coatsville, Pa. Note: Wikipedia claims there was a race riot here. However, I have found no evidence of this riot on the internet. Link
* Hattiesburg, Miss. Note: Wikipedia claims there was a race riot here. However, there's nothing on the internet about this race riot.
* Philadelphia, Pa. Note: Wikipedia claims there was a race riot here. However, no real riot situation occurred. White and black youths squared off and some fist fights broke out. The details to this insignificant event are lacking - like what the flashpoint was. Here's the gist of it: Link
* Port Arthur, Tx. Note: Wikipedia claims there was a race riot here. No riot occurred. Two black males were smoking and irritating a female passenger on a streetcar. White males came over and demanded the negroes put their cigarettes out. They continued to blow smoke in the direction of the white female. A fight erupted and the two blacks -who deliberately provoked the incident - got the worst of it.Link
Bisbee, AZ (note: this one hardly qualifies as a white-male provoked riot, but here it is) Flashpoint: Negro soldiers from the 10th Calvary, who were said to be "drunk" beat up a white male soldier who had made a disparaging remark toward them. The sheriff of the town requested the negro soldiers give up their revolvers to avoid further trouble - this was a civilian-run town and local law enforcement was the law, so the sheriff had every legal right to request the negroes' weapons. Had the negroes did what was legally required of them to do, which was to surrender their weapons and then return to their base, there would have been no further problem. Instead, not only did the negroes refuse to surrender their weapons but, to add to the provocation, they stayed in town. This, of course, was a deliberate effort by the negroes to upstage the sheriff, local law enforcement and to establish supremacy. The sheriff reacted to this criminal challenge by the negroes and formed a posse to disarm them and all the other negro soldiers in the town (numbering about 100). Predictably, the negro soldiers - with their supremacist attitude - decided to draw their weapons on the local law enforcement officers and shoot at them ... and a street battle ensued. The melee lasted about an hour before the negro soldiers, realizing they couldn't win (or ran out of ammunition) decided to surrender.
Wiki: "At least eight people were shot or seriously wounded in total: Four of the Buffalo Soldiers were shot, two were beaten, a deputy sheriff was "severely injured," and a Mexican bystander named Teresa Leyvas was struck in the head by a stray bullet."
Longview, TX Flashpoint: A black male was lynched for crawling into a white female's bedroom (numerous incidences of this at this link>>Link) A local black male was known to be a reporter for a black militancy newspaper called the Black Defender. An article appeared in that newspaper stating that the lynched black man and the white female were actually secret lovers desiring to run away together. The article even put words into white female's mouth inferring she was madly in love with the lynched black man - and that the black man was lynched because of this love affair. The brothers of the white female became enraged upon learning of this article...and, to defend the honor of their sister, went after the black reporter and beat him terribly. No other negro was injured in this incident.
Flashpoint : Negro male murdered an American police officer.
Ocoee , Fl Flashpoint: Negro refused to pay the legal poll tax and still insisted to vote. Slowly a mob of Americans and Negroes began to gather until a fight ensued. Two white people were killed and one Negro. The Negro section of town was also set afire. source
Flashpoint : Negro male sexual assault.
Flashpoint : Negro male - an escaped convict - assumed sexual assault on an American female in a home invasion. Then, this same Negro ambushed and murdered two Americans (posse members out searching for him). This double murder provoked a White mob to burn the small predominantly Negro town of Rosewood.
Flashpoint : Negro male(s) assault on two innocent American males, resulting in the stabbing of one and the death of the other.
Flashpoint : Negro male alleged murder of an American police officer
Flashpoint: Negro male sexual assault on white female
Little Rock, AR.
Flashpoint: Negro male rape and brutal murder of an 11-year-old American girl.
Sherman County, TX
Flashpoint: Brutal rape of American female (rapes by Negro males also took place in North Texas and Oklahoma in the same month as this riot, likely escalating the mood for violence). Other than the Negro murderer/rapist (burned alive in the jail when it was set afire) , no innocent Negroes were injured in the Sherman County riot. However, the Negro section of town was burned.
Flashpoint : Labor unrest
Flashpoint : Rumors of attacks on innocent Americans.
Flashpoint : Labor unrest
Flashpoint : Negro male raped an American female.
Flashpoint : Negro male assaulted an American.
So, summing up from 1900 to 1964:
Total riots initiated by American Males = 31
--American-initiated riots as a direct result of African-American male rape / sexual assault on a American (White) female = 11
--American-initiated riots as a direct result of an unprovoked Negro attack (non-sexual assault) on a White person = 13
Putting it another way, about 77% of the above American-initiated riots were a direct result of either a sexual assault or murder/ attempted murder.
And one final note... When the Civil Rights Act (1964) was signed into law, over the next 5 years in predominantly Back areas of America's urban centers, Black males launched over 200 assaults (riots) against White people's businesses. And the impact from all that violence, hate and racism? Well, other than many thousands of White people's businesses looted and burned, and many hundreds of murdered and/or serious injured [innocent] White people ... what followed was "White flight."
More by this Author
In 1862, President Lincoln addressed a group of Negro men in which he apparently said: President Lincoln: “You and we are different races. We have between us a broader difference than exists between almost any...
Mary White Ovington Before we begin here with the creation of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), let's first dispel a few myths (created mainly by way of the Internet). Myth 1....
-------------------------------------------------- Between 1900 and 1964, there were 31 racially motivated riots initiated by white Americans and against Negroes (that's all I could find >>Link). One of those...