Best Colleges for Computer Science and IT Degrees in North Carolina
Home of The Research Triangle
North Carolina is a shrewd choice for post-secondary schools in the fields of Information Technology and Computer Science, because it is home to the famous and expanding Research Triangle. Hundreds of employers dealing in technologies have located in this industrial-educational park, which has become a city unto itself with shopping, dining, and recreation venues attached. The opportunities for education, work, and play are numerous.
A reader asked a HubPages Question concerning the best schools to attend for a computer degree at the BA level in North Carolina and this presentation will provide a review of the appropriate schools. First, it is best to strike out towards a Bachelors of Science rather than a Bacheleors of Arts degree in a scientific and engineering field. In fact, many institutions award only the BS in these technologies, since sciences and mathematics take up so much of the degree program..
A Bachelors of Science will serve a job candidate better in the selection process and afford him or her with more effective STEM skills in computer technology, computer engineering, and various other IT careers. Computer/IT employers are looking for STEM skills - Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. Humanities and arts are also important, but a BS is more important on the IT market than a BA. Since before 2000, middle schools and high schools around the USA have been tightening their educational priorities toward a focus on STEM. This places students in a good position for post-secondary training in technologies in Computer Science/IT for
- A new generation of manufacturing (including computer components and systems, autos and parts, and spaceship components),
- Healthcare products and services, and
- The future of aerospace flight.
- Energy production is a 4th industry that will use more STEM professionals - petroleum based (especially in North Dakota) and alternative fuels.
WAKE FOREST: North Carolina Research Triangle
The Greater Research Triangle Area
The Research Triangle Park includes Mass Transit, Park and Rides, Bike Trails, Shopping, Recreation, Entertainment, Living Areas, and other businesses and consumer services. It is a good place to go to school, live, work and enjoy life in North Carolina while being a part of ongoing innovation that creates new jobs. I-depth information is located at Wake Forest and the Research Triangle.
In Research Triangle Park
Technology Degrees at these institutions in the Research Triangle include Computer Science, Computer Programming, and Information Technology, along with IT Certifications.
- DeVry University - Morrisville
- EPCI University - BS in 2.5 years, AA in 1.5 years. Classes continue all year long. Located at 4101 Doie Cope Road; Raleigh, NC 27613.
- Strayer University - Raleigh and Morrisville.
The three schools listed above are known as successful in guiding students through their programs to degrees that fit well paying jobs. Additional schools offer online-only classes that are convenient to students. Check accreditation for any online school you may choose.
Recommended Schools in The Research Triangle
For a STEM head start:
- North Carolina School of Sciences and Mathematics. A 2-yr residential high school. Located at 1219 Broad St, Durham, NC 27705.
- Wake Technical Community College – In the Research Triangle at Raleigh. High quality 2-year school for those preferring this type of atmosphere. Credits transfer to 4-year schools.
Recommended Post-Secondary Schools for Degrees in Computers/IT:
STEM curricula is big at these schools and mentoring to encourage women in IT and engineering is evident in dual degree programs offered in bold print.
- Bennett College for Women – Greensboro. West of Raleigh. Also offers a dual degree program in Engineering, like that of Meredith College, below.
- Duke University - Durham ITT Technical Institute. Located at 5520 Dillard Drive #100, Cary NC. Number 10 Best College Overall in the USA.
- Guilford College – Greensboro.
- Meredith College – Raleigh. This private women's college is named a Best College for 2012 as Number 3 in the South by Forbes, Princeton Review, and US News and World Report. A Dual Degree Program with North Carolina State University awards a BA in one field and a BS in Computer Science – Two degrees in 5 years.
- North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University - Greensboro
- North Carolina Central University - Durham
- North Carolina State University – Raleigh
- North Carolina Wesleyan College – Morrisville and Rocky Mount.
- Pfeiffer University at the Triangle – Located at 2880 Slater Rd, Ste. 100; Morrisvill, NC 27560. Also in Misenheimer and Charlotte.
- Saint Augustine's College – Raleigh. Co-Ed; also has a dual degree Computer/Engineering program like Meredith College, above
- Shaw University - Raleigh
- University of North Carolina – Several cities around NC. Chapel Hill is Number 29 on the Best Colleges for 2012 list.
- University of North Carolina System
- Wake Forest University – Winston-Salem NC near Greensboro to the west of Raleigh about 110 miles. Number 25 on the Best Schools for 2012 list.
Magazine and Relocation Guides
Choosing a Post-Secondary School
My suggestion is to choose one of the first three on the short list above, or to choose one of the schools on the Best Colleges for 2012 list. The three schools that offer dual degrees equip student for advancement and recognition in the Computer/IT Industry and for women, Meredith College seems the best for high quality education, mentorship, internships, and long-term careers in the higher wage brackets.
More by this Author
American colleges can offer students of a particular subject the opportunity to live together with faculty at school. One such place is modeled after Harry Potter's Hogwarts!
In the latest evaluation of top nursing schools in the country, the complex provided at the University of California - San Francisco (UCSF) appears on several Top 10 Lists in nursing specialties.
My "Characteristics of the Ideal Employee" comes from 15 years' consensus of employers in a range of industries. These ideals can help you gain a job and earn promotions. See some added new tips!