Best US College Majors For Fast Employment After Graduation
Best Subjects For Work 2013 - 2023
Choosing the right college major in order to secure employment after graduation is more important in the Post-Great Recession climate of America than at many other times in US history. A university or college student cannot "just major in anything" and expect to gain a job in the 4th 5th or 6th spring of attendance and graduation.
High school students must be taught that if you want to go to college and also want a job, then you have the best chance of being hired if you choose one of the college majors to be discussed in this Hub. High school counselors and college Freshmen Advisors need to follow up with their assigned students and help to guide students through their educations and into their jobs.
Students can still "just major in anything", but will be left with either no job or those jobs that require only a degree of any kinds. Many of these are Fast Food Manager or Assistant Manager. Some of those jobs end up paying very well and leading to higher positions, but some do not. Even in the 2010s, some of these jobs still entail long hours past 40 per week and unwanted negative working conditions.
"I Want To Major In a Subject I Like"
In the 1980s and 1990s, much was made of the Multiple Intelligences descriptions developed by Howard Gardner, and of freedom of choice in educational majors. While most of us would enjoy working on the type of jobs best suited to our personalities, this is not always possible.
Thus, we have the less-than-ideal situation of choosing education in fields that will actually provide jobs versus fields that we like and are good in mastering - they are not always the same. Of course, one may start one's own business and many people are successful in this endeavor, but healthcare costs in small business are more prohibitory than ever before, because of the increases health related costs of older workers and, in some instances, because of the Affordable Care Act.
Students are still free to choose their own majors, as long as they can pay for them. Funding is possible with grants, loans, and work-study programs as well as parental support; but, sometimes the money runs out before the undergraduate degree is completed. Many students take 6 full years to complete a Bachelor's degree and financial aid sometimes does not reach the end of that road.
A number of 2-year and 3-year degrees are being completed by increasing numbers of students. These are very important in healthcare occupations and engineering technologies and more jobs are opening up in these industries.
Job Titles With Lowest Unemployment Rates and Most Job Listings
1. Nursing - 4% Unemployment Rate.
2. Family & Consumer Sciences - 4.3%.
3. Elementary Education - 4.8%
4. General Education - 6% Harvard University defines General Education as including courses in Aesthetic and Interpretive Understanding; Culture and Belief; Empirical and Mathematical Reasoning; Ethical Reasoning; Science of Living Systems; Science of the Physical Universe; Societies of the World; and the United States in the World.
5. Math - 6.1%
Source: Hard Times, College Majors, Unemployment and Earnings 2013: Not All College Degrees are Created Equal. Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce
About the Top 5 Jobs
The arts are being added into the STEM courses little by little.
- American Nurses Association
NursingWorld is the online destination for the American Nurses Association.
- American Association of Family & Consumer Sciences (AAFCS)
- National Education Association
- American Mathematical Society
Graduates Gain Nursing Jobs Fast
Nearly all of the 2013 Graduates of the University of Akron School of Nursing had jobs within 30 days of beginning their job search. According to the Akron Journal Beacon on June 9, 2013, the school's nursing administrator, MS. Cheryl Buchanan reported, “If they would go to Florida or Michigan, they would find a job immediately.”
The average national starting wage for RNs is $48,000, but Travel Nurses (who might even work in their own hometowns) receive higher wages, transportation expenses, rent or mortgage payments for up to 12 months on each assignment, and a variety of other incentives. See Travel Nursing.
Nurse Positions Continue to IncreaseClick thumbnail to view full-size
Over 611,000 Jobs Open For New RN Grads - Mid-June 2013
These jobs are clustered in the alrgest nubers in these metropolitan areas:
Additional Data On Nursing Jobs
Worst Job Titles For Finding Employment
Mid-June 2013 saw 7,500,000 job listings for the USA.
1. Architecture - 13.9% Unemployment rate. Fewer than 40 Construction Architect jobs were available.
2. Film, video & photographic arts - 12.9%. About 4,500 jobs avaiable.
3. Arts - 11.1% About 5,000 jobs.
4. Philosophy & Religious Studies - 10.8% About 200 jobs.
5. Anthropology and Archeology - 10.5% Fewer than 2,000 jobs.
The Future Of Jobs
How Will Work Change?
- Video Credit: The Ernst & Young Channel - YouTube
News and perspectives from Ernst & Young, a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services.
The Future of Engineers and Engineering Technicians and Technologists
Outer Space Is Closer Every Day
- Golden Spike and Buzz Aldrin's Mission To Mars -- Golden Spike is a company in business to explore the moon.Meanwhile, Buss Aldrin of the first Apollo moon landing wants to go further faster and get to Mars in his lifetime.
- Jobs Of the Future - Stellar Cartographer Needed -- Stellar cartographers are not a made-up job for television space operas. We may dream about far off places and new kinds of jobs that do not yet exist, but space age jobs are going to include mapping of the uiverse very soon.
- US Space History: Exploration Opens to Teachers, Students -- and the public! We are all going to have the chance to use time-sharing telescopes to see what's going on in space. Brent Spiner, Lt. Commander Data of ST:TNG and Robert Picardo, Doc from Voyager, advocate for Planbetary Resources, Inc. (backed by Google) to guide the American public into participation in space exploration.
- Inventions Of the US Space Program -- NASA has been inventing for 50 years. From better, long-lasting underwear to life-saving medicine, items in space and one thr gournd in the US Space Program make our lives easier. Look inside for some of the best of the inventions for 2012.
More by this Author
American colleges can offer students of a particular subject the opportunity to live together with faculty at school. One such place is modeled after Harry Potter's Hogwarts!
In the latest evaluation of top nursing schools in the country, the complex provided at the University of California - San Francisco (UCSF) appears on several Top 10 Lists in nursing specialties.
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...