"Blut und Boden" Holocaust Term Definition
WWII History and Aftermath
At this writing in 2013, World War II began in Europe nearly 76 years ago. By the 1960s, a comedy show about POW camps of the era entertained some viewers and offended others. That was Hogan's Heroes. By the 1970s, just thirty years after the war, Holocaust deniers began to print articles to the effect that the Holocaust never happened. Some younger readers believed them.
It was not until the 1990s, 2000s, and 2010s, that certain groups of soldiers among the Allied Forces in WWII were appropriately honored with medals and recognition. Altogether, it is not a large puzzle to understand why portions of WWII history are note widely distributed to the general public, not understood, nor overwhelmed with interest.
Blut und Boden
Blut und Boden is the Nazi rationale for the regime's agricultural program in Germany.
In the spring of 1930, Adolph Hitler enlisted the help of Walther Darre to organize the farmers of Germany into a group that supported Hitler and his regime under the National Socialist Party. With success among the farmer, the Nazis were elected to power in only two years' time - 1932. Darre was appointed Minister of Food and Agriculture during summer 1933.
Darre had previously worked in the German Department of Agriculture and in 1928, wrote a book about race and the German farmer. Officials and others who read it were said to have laughed, but the book garnered many good reviews that did not include laughter. A second book in 1929 uplifted the "German race."
- Blut und Boden (1933) - IMDb
Directed by Walter Ruttmann, Hans von Passavant, Rolf von Sonjevski-Jamrowski. With Heinz Berghaus, Carl de Vogt, Herta Scheel, Jakob Sinn.
Blut Und Boden: 28 minutes
Keys To Darre's Writing:
Blut = blood and is a heading for racial writing.
Boden = soil and is a heading for agricultural writing.
- German farmers are noble and make the German and Nordic races altogether noble.The Germans are the best people among the Nordics.
- Farmer = Noble.
- Christianity with its equality ruined the concept of "nobility" and detracts from German superiority. The religion should be eliminated.
- Germany adopted French inheritance laws that unfairly divided German farmlands and took away from German financial strength. Only the best people, Germans, should ever own German agricultural lands.
- Noble German farmers look to the future and invest their nobility in the soil for future wealth and the strength of Germany. Nomads, on the other hand, are opportunists looking only to today. Darre used the word "Muslims" for "nomads."
- Maintaining racial purity among Germans was the greatest challenge to the country and the Nazis.
- Marriage is good only when both partners are racially pure and produce racially-pure children. Marriage is not sacred. German husbands and wives are equal and their job was to perpetuate the noble race in ownership of the noble farmlands. If the wife was barren, another woman was used to bear children.
- Human breeding and animal breeding are the same. The "impure" humans could be executed, because the United States did the same thing with African American lynchings.
- There were four classes of women: 1) pure-breeds for child bearing/marriage, 2) pure-breeds that do not look perfect, 3) the impure mixed-breeds that must and should be sterilized, and 4) foreigners to Germany, who were not allowed to marry or bear children.
- Only the nobility of Germany (pure-breed landowners) deserve equal rights.
- Jews were nomads, because they did not eat pork. Neither did Muslims, but Nordics always did eat port. Jews also lend farmers money at too high a rate and bankrupt them. Therefore, Jews and Muslims are all nomads and bad.
- Germans have the right to kill nomads because nomads attack Germans, just as Cain killed Able in the Old Testament (Interesting comparison, since Darre thinks Jews are bad).
- Community is important, individualism is not. Farmers are part of the larger state and should be happy to be so.
- An entire genre of German literature was based on Blut und Boden before 1932 and it increased in published works and popularity after 1932.
- Blut un Boden became an excuse to allow Nazi Germany to seize the lands of other peoples. Hitler used the notion in the movement of lebensraum, insisting that Eastern Europe and European USSR had no idea on how to work the land and only pure-breed Aryans did.
- The use of the logo for Blut und Boden is illegal in several European countries today.
- Darre's ideas, although not all original, remind me of the old Communist motto: Workers of the World Unite. They also remind me of the British tradition of the King and other nobility being tied to the land of England.
The concept of Blut and Boden, while romantic, is obsessive and impossible to attain in its racial purity aspects. It seems to be a kind of mental illness, one that ran Native Americans off their home ranges and killed them by the multiple thousands. To me, there is just one Holocaust against many ethnicities; it has been present forever, since cavemen competed for food, and it is ongoing today.
Anne Bramwell. Blood and Soil: Walther Darre and Hitler's Green Party. 1985.
Clifford R. Lovin. Journal of History and Ideas. "Blud Und Boden", ppg 279 - 288; Vol 28, No 2; 1967.
Ben Keiernan. Blood and Soil: A World History of Genocide and Extermination from Sparta to Darfur. 2009
Important Holocaust and WWII Information
- A Must-Know Event: Sobibor Concentration Camp Revolt -- The Holocaust was real. Labor camps and death camps were real and I have interviewed people who lived in them and survived. Some inmates were able to escape from extermination camps employed to eliminate the Jews from the human gene pool. This is their story.
- Angelina Jolie's Direction of "Unspoken" -- WWII hero and Olympian Louis Zamperini is honored by the book and film "Unbroken." At age 96 in 2012, he is still active and agreed to be a consultant on Angelina Jolie's new film about him and his WWII activities.
- George Lucas Presents the 332nd Fighter Group/ Tuskegee Airmen -- With mixed critical opinions, this film, Redtails, gives an accurate account of the events and training leading up to the formation and early missions of the Tuskegee Airmen. It is a good prequel to The Tuskegee Airmen and the two films are best viewed together for a fine afternoon or evening's activity. .
- WWII US Medal of Freedom Recipient: The White Mouse -- Ms. Nancy Wake is a hero of World War II that most people in the world did not know until 2009.
- World War II and Aftermath Events (1935 - 1949) -- A timeline and description of major events.
More by this Author
Reading Tom Brokaw's The Greatest Generation and its sequels leads us to dig for more about the men and women of that generation...
The Holocaust was real. Some inmates were able to escape from extermination camps employed to elimate the Jews from the human gene pool. This is their story.
Since 2010, news from BLOOMBERG BUSINESSWEEK has been that Canada and Australia were little touched by The Great Recession. New jobs continue to increase.