Cockney Rhyming Slang; What Does It All Mean? A - Z
Have you got a Scooby Do? Scooby Do, clue.
St Mary & Holy Trinity, Bow road, London.
Cockney Rhyming Slang is a traditional and fun extension to the English language which originated in the East End of London, South of England and is still being used today by many of the young and older East end residents.
These residents are are known as Cockneys. Other parts of London and the UK have also adopted this language. I grew up in South London and was very knowledgeable of it although it was mainly used by criminals who wanted to talk without being understood as-well as non criminals for the same reasons. It soon caught on throughout London and most of the world.
This slang has become so popular and commercial that many other styles of slang have been invented that are still used to conceal conversations.
The The original term of a true Cockney referred to the working class Londoner, particularly those living in the East End. A "true" Cockney is someone who is born within 'earshot' of the Bow Bells, the bells of St Mary le Bow church in Cheapside in London City, England.
It can be very hard to understand what cockney people are saying especially when you're watching a British gangster film, soap or series. With this handy guide, you'll soon have a Scooby Doo what's being said.
How does it work? It works by choosing a two or three word phrase that rhymes with a word you want to hide, then just substitute the word to be hidden with the first word in the phrase. An early and example is the well known phrase "apples and pears" which is used for stairs, so instead of saying, "She's up stairs", you'd say, She's up the apples". Have a "Butchers" below and see if you or a friend can guess which sentences means what.
Video: Cockney's chatting in cockney rhyming slang
Original Cockney Rhyming Slang Colloquialisms, Translations & Dictionary.
- Adam and Eve = Believe. I don't Adam and Eve it.
- Alan Wickers = Knickers. Don't get your Alan wickers in a twist.?
- Apples and Pears = Stairs. She's up the Apple and Pears.
- Army and Navy = Gravy. Do you want some Army & Navy.
- Aristotle = Bottle. You've lost your Aristotle mate.! Bottle means Nerves, to Chickened out.
- Artful Dodger = Lodger. Don't let the artful dodger know about that.
- Ascot Races = Braces. She's very pretty, even though she she wears Ascot races.? Braces for to straighten teeth.
- Aunt Joanna = Piano. She plays a nice tune on the Joanna.
- Ayrton Senner = Tenner. I'll give you an Ayrton Senner. A tenner is 10 pounds.
Cockney slang for money
Shrapnel. Is small change - either 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 25p 50p or a pound coin.
50p. An edge.
1 pound coin. A nicker. A nuggot.
5 pounds note. Bluey. Lady Gadiva. Jacks.
10 pound note. Brownie. Speckled Hen. Cockle and Hen. Nigel Ben.
25 pounds. A Pony.
30 pounds. Dirty Birty.
50 pound note. Red. Hawaii five 0. A Bullseye. Nifty.
100 pounds. A Ton. A one-er. A longen.
500 pounds. A Monkey.
1000 pounds. A Grand. 1K.
- Bakers Dozen = Cousin. I'm going to see my bakers dozen.
- Bangers and Mash = Cash. I'm out of Bangers and Mash.
- Barnet Fair = Hair. Check out his Barney.
- Barney Owl = Row. We had a right Barney last night.
- Barney Rubble = Trouble. I'm in a right Barney Rubble.
- Battle Cruiser = Boozer (pub). Meet me in the battle cruiser.
- Bees and Honey. Money. I ain't got no Bees and Honey today.
- Boat Race = Face. Nice legs, shame about her boat.
- Bob Hope = Dope =is Marijuna. I'm trying to get hold of some Bob Hope.
- Bob Marley = Charley (Cocaine). The Bob Marley's really good.
- Brown Bread = Dead. Hes Brown Bread when I get my hands on him.
- Brahms and Liszt = Pissed. I'm totally Brahms. Pissed means drunk as well as angry.
- Brass Tacks = Facts. Those are the Brass tacts.
- Bread and Honey = Money...He owes me a lot of bread.
- Bristol City = Titt# (Bre@sts). Check out the Bristol's on her.
- Bricks and Mortar = Daughter. Shes my Bricks n Mortar.
- Bubble and Squeak = Greek. Hes a Bubble.
- Bubble Bath = Laugh. Your having a right bubble.
- Butchers Hook = Look. Lets have a butchers.
Video: Cockney chat from the classic London gangster film "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels"
Modern slang phrases
- What's the Apple = Apple Core - Score means 'whats going on'? or ''whats going down,'?, what's the score', 'whats the decision', etc.
- There are 3 ways of saying Laugh. 1. You're having a Giraffe. 2, You're having a Turkish, Turkish Bath and 3, You're having a Bubble, bubble bath.
- When pronouncing the phrase "Having a laugh" Cockney's will just say it like this, "avin a larf" and the same for other phrases like "Have you seen her Alan wickers", you would pronounce it as, "av you seen er Alan Wickers". Note; If you pronounce these phrases as they appear, you'll only sound posh and not like a true cockney at all.
C - D - E
- Chalk Farm = Arm. Ill break your chalk farm if you don't stop messing around.
- Chevy Chase = Face. She's got a beautiful chevy.
- Chicken Oriental = Mental. That geezer (bloke=man/woman) is radio rental. OR something that's crazy.
- China plate = Mate. Hello me old China.
- Cream Crackered = Knackered. I'm totally cream crackered. Crackered means very tired and exhausted.
- Current Bun = Sun. I'm gonna chill out in the Current Bun.
- Daisy Roots = Boots. Shes got some nice Daisies on.
- Dicky Bird = Word. I want a little Dicky with you.
- Dicky Dirt = Shirt. Nice Dicky.
- Didgeridoo = Clue. I ain't got a didgeridoo what he's saying..
- Dog and Bone = Phone. One minute, I'm on the Dog n Bone.
- Duck and Dive = Skive. He's always trying to Duck n dive. Skive means to get out of doing things/chores/work.
- Duke of Kent = Rent. Hes behind on his Duke n Rent.
Video: Oranges & Lemons Nursery Rhyme - About London's Famous Church Bells
Celebrity Names: Old & New
Billy Piper's = Windscreen wipers. Britney Spears = Beers. Catherine Zeta Jones = Moans. Captain Kirk = Work. Clair Rayner's =Trainers. Dame Edna Everage = Beverage. Damen Duff = Rough. Danny Dyers = Pliers. Dolly Parton = Carton. Ewan McGregor = Begger. Fatboy Slim = Gym. Gary Glitter = Shi##er. George Michael = Menstrual Cycle. Hank Marving = Starving. Lee Marvin = Starving. Mylene Class = @ss. Ricky Gervais = Face. Ron Weasley = Easily. Simon Cowell = Towel. Tom Hanks = Thanks. Veera Lynn = Gin.
F - G - H - I - J
- Frog and Toad = Road. I'm just going down the Frog and Toad.
- Ginger Beer = Que#er. He's a right Ginger. Que#r is a h@mos*xual.
- Gregory Peck = Neck. Quick, get that drink down your Gregory.
- Hamstead Heath = Teeth. She's got a nice set of Hamstead Heath.
- Hampton Wick = Pric#. What a Hampton Wick. pric# means peni#.
- Harry Monk = Skunk. (Cannabis). Where can I get some Harry Monk?
- Harry Monk = #punk. (Sp*rm) you've got Harry Monk all in your hair!
- Huckleberry finn = Pin. I've lost my huckleberry finn. Pin is your credit card pin number.
- Jack and Danny = F#nny. We have dated for 3 months and Ive not seen her Jack and Danny.
- Jack Jones = Own. I'm on my Jack Jones. I'm alone.
- James Blunt = Cun#. What a James Blunt.
- Jimmy Flint = Skint. I'm Jimmy Flint. Skint means to have no money.
- Jimmy Riddle = Piddle (wee/pee) I'm going for a Jimmy. (Wee/pee means to urinate).
- Joe Daki = Paki. A derogatory term to describe Asians. P@ki = Pakistani.
Talk like a real Cockney
Common cockney sayings
Cushtie means to feel very good/ok. I'm feeling cushtie.
I'm Hammered means being being very drunk/wasted.
Knuckle Sandwich is a closed fist and what you'd give to someone via a punch to the face!.
Lovely Jubiliee is an expression of something you like or approve of.
Off your/my Trolley means 'you must be crazy' or, you're very drunk/wasted.
On your Bike means 'Get the hell out of here'. Go fuc# yourself.
Plank means someone whose is an idiot. He's a right plank.
K - L - M - N - O
- Kane and Able = Table. Let's sit at that Kane and Able.
- Kettle and Hob = Fob. This is not exactly rhyming slang. A fob pocket was used to carry the watch around back in the day.
- Kyber Pass = @ss. Ill give you a good kick up the Kyber if you carry on annoying me..
- Lady Gadiva = Fiver. A five pound note. He owes me a Lady Gadiva.
- Lemon and Lime = Time. What's the Lemon.
- Lemon Squeezer = Geezer. Geezer is slang for a guy/bloke.
- Loaf of Bread = Head. Use your loaf.
- Lionel Blair's = Flairs. Look at the size of the Lionel's on him.! Huge bell ends at the bottom of trousers and jeans.
- Merchant Banker = W@nker. Hes a right merchant Banker.! W@nker means to J*rk off.
- Mickey Mouse = House. Meet me at my Mickey Mouse.
- Mince Pies = Eyes. (mince & Mincers) Get your mincers off my bird. Bird means girlfriend.
- Moby Dick = Sick. Hes feeling well Moby Dick today. Sick = unwell. Although the new meaning of Sick is something that is amazing, awesome etc.
- Mork and Mindy = Windy. Its well Mork n Mindy today.
- Mutt n Jeff = Deaf. Are you Mutton.
- Nigel Ben = Ten Pounds. He owes me out a Nigel.
- North and South = Mouth. Hes gotta big North n south.
- Oily Rag = Fag. Have you got any oily's on you? Fag is a Cigarette. Fag also means someone who is gay.
- One's and Two's = Shoes. I like your one's and two's.
P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z
- Peckham Rye = Tie. I like your new Peckham & Rye.
- Pen and Ink = Stink. You pen and ink mate.! Stink means too have a bad smell/aroma.
- Pie and Mash = Cash. Have you got any Pie and Mash on you.
- Pigs Ear = Beer. I'm dying for a Pigs Ear.
- Plates of Meat = Feet.. Look how big her plates of meat are.
- Pony and Trap = Crap. Your talking a lot of Pony mate.! Crap means shi# / Poo.
- Pork Pies = Lies. Stop telling porkies, stop telling porkie pies!
- Rabbit and Pork = talk = He don't half Rabbit on means he talks to much.
- Radio Rental = Mental. That geezer (bloke/man) is Radio Rental.
- Raspberry Ripple = Nipple. Did you see her Raspberry Ripples?
- Richard the 3rd = Turd. He smells like Richard the 3rd.! Turd means Shit.
- Roger Moore = Door. Who left the Roger open.
- Rosy Lee = Tea. Would you like a Rosy Lee.? Tea is a hot drink/beverage.
- Rub And Dub = Pub. I'll meet you at the rub a dub.
- Ruby Murry = Curry. Fancy a Ruby tonight?.
- Salmon and trout = Snout. (Cigarettes). Have you got any Salmon?
- Sausage and Mash = Cash. Have you got any Sausage and Mash on you?.
- Septic Tank = Yank.
- Scooby Doo = Clue. I don't have a Scooby Doo! Have you got a Scooby Do? (Clue).
- Sherbet Dip = Kip. I'm having a Sherbet! I'm going to sleep.
- Skin and Blister = Sister. I'm going to see my Skin n Blister.
- Skyrocket = Pocket. Look in your Sky Rocket.
- Sweeny Todd = The Flying Squad.(Police) The Sweeny Todd are on my case.
- Syrup of Figs = Wig.Look at that guys, you can tell he's wearing a Syrup.
- Tit For Tat = Hat. It's freezing outside. Where's my Titfer.
- Tea Leaf = Thief. He's a right tea leaf.
- Toby Jugs = Lug holes/Ears. Don't forget to clean behind your lugs..
- Trouble and Strife = Wife. Ill be at my Trouble and Strife's.
- Tom Tit = Shi#. I'm dying for a tom tit. Shi#.
- Tom Foolery = Jewellery. You got some nice Tom on mate.
- Tommy Tank = Wan@. Go and have a Tommy Tank. Wan# is to masturbate.
- Two and Eight = State. Hes in a right 2 n 8 means he's in a really bad way-state.
- Whistle and Flute = Suit. Nice whistle mate.
Some words or phrases that are not listed here may not be true original cockney rhyming slang?. If you want any words or phrases deciphered that are not listed here, just ask below and ill answer it for you.
Why not invent your own slang!
You should know have a Scooby Do (clue) what the Apple is (Apple Core = Score) with all this Cockney rhyming slang. Now I'm off down the Frog and Toad (road). I have Bread n Honey (money) in my Sky Rocket (pocket) to pay my Duke of Kent (Rent), then I'm going down the Battle Cruiser (boozer) to get Brahms and Liszt before I give what's left to my Trouble and Strife, (wife)... Fun Huh!?
© 2008 compu-smart
More by this Author
Information about LBC radio and all its presenters and how to listen. LBC is thee best London Talk Radio Station not just in London but throughout the UK.
What does great Britain, the United kingdom and the UK mean? It can be very confusing for most. Why not find out all you need to know with this very handy UK geography tutorial. No need to get confused any longer.
Here are the most popular, best & funny happy birthday songs for everyone. How can you not listen to a happy birthday song when there's a birthday. From unknowns to Marilyn Monroe to Stevie Wonder.