Columbus, Ohio Proves It Is Most Intelligent City
Fast Growing City of Progress Becomes Number One
Ohio has progressed exponentially since the latter half of the 20th Century when the rest of the country continued to that State Capital a "Cow Town." By 2013, the city had been designated among the Top Seven Most Intelligent Cities among the 21 smartest chosen worldwide by Intelligent Communities. Even long-time residents were wide eyed at this headline. By 2015, Columbus, Ohio had become Number One!
Ohio became a US State in 1803 and celebrated the Bicentennial of the War of 1812 during 2012 - 2015 with many events, celebrations, and educational workshops. Reenactments of war battles on Lake Erie took front seat during the summer of 2012 and the largest was performed by Canadians taking the parts of the Canadians, British, and Americans who fought in one battle.
At the same tme, Columbus celebrated its 200th Foundation Anniversary in 2012. Leading up to that event, Columbus experienced numerous changes that enhanced sustainability, population growth, transportation, jobs, and business to result in designation as a Smarter City in sustainability by the Natural Resrouces Defense Council in 2010.In addition to all that, Columbus was named the Number One High Tech City in America in the late 2000s.
Mayor Michael C. Coleman has achieved massive refurbishment and upgrading in the city and continues to do so. The 200 years of progress that began to fly in the 1990s hit supersonic speed by the turn of the century. We are a new place.
We are no longer Cow Town, but we do have cows and horses at OSU farms within the city and county limits, very near upscale Upper Arlington neighborhoods.— The Hub Author
The Top 7 Smart Cities were chosen because of their achievements and effective plans for:
- Best Practices in Broadband, deployment and use
- Workforce Development (This is one of my own careeer fields and I can testify to the fast-growing quality of the workforce development in Columbus.)
- Digital Inclusion
- Human Development Advocacy that can be the examplke to regions, cities, towns and villages all over the world.
Of the Top 7, only one - Columbus OH - is in the USA.
Two other cities are in Canada, joining one in Finland, two in Taiwan, and one in Estonia.
- In the mid-to-late 1960s, the land just inside the I-270 outerbelt for about 2 miles into Columbus was all farmland and much of it in disrepair and unused. New Shopping Malls or renovations at Northland, Southland, Great Eastern, and Graceland and Worthtingon Malls (both also in the north) helped to end that vacancy, drawing new apartments, highways, and bus routes. We still had Great Western Shopping Center with its recreation of the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World in the parking lot to visit, but Westland Shopping Center did not exist. We had only Lazarus West (no Macy's) for about another decade. In October 2012, Columbus's first casino, the Hollywood, opened across the street from Westland on Georgesville Road/Broad Street. It's not farmland any more! City Center Mall downtown closed unfortunately, but we have a fantastic new green space and concert venue in that spot. Trendy new Food Trucks gather there every month as well. We are no longer Cow Town, but we do have cows and horses at OSU farms within the city and county limits, very near upscale Upper Arlington neighborhoods.
Central Ohio Locales On Top Cities Lists In the 2010s
The Best Of Columbus
- Best! Christmas at the Number One US Zoo - Columbus Zoo and Acquarium -- Our zoo is the Top Rated Zoo in America, thanks to Jungle Jack Hanna since 1978 (35 years in 2013). Before he took the job as Director, the zoo was separate from the city, lacked funding, and consisted of a few crumbling buildings, a couple dozen animals, and totally neglected landscaping on an average sized plot of land for a zoo. Today, it looks as big as DisneyLand when you drive up to the complex and it would take a week to see all its features. The Wild Lights Christmas and Holiday light shows expand every year, but so do the grounds and exhibits. As big as it already is, the zoo will nearly double in the 2010s with a safari-like expansion similar to a related site, The Wilds in Eastern Ohio. Jack Hanna is a hero in Ohio
- The Best Downtown Urban River Parks - Scioto On the Mile -- Mayor Michael B. Coleman has addressed the infratructure of Columbus in the same manner that Jack Hanna tackled thsat of the zoo. Coleman ordered crumbling buildings torn down and replaced with affordable, attrtactive houseing - and green spaces - and eliminated the abandoned houses, sector by sector. Mayor Coleman, first elected in 2000, brought over 4,700 new housing units to the downtown area 2002 - 2012. The expanded Scioto Mile River Parks Complex does not appear on StoodThere.com's 100 Greatest Places to Stand in America, because it was nonexistent in 2009 when the contest was held. It is sure to qualify as a Greatest Place now! In addition, high tech developments, new businesses in the Aerospace Industry, and other businesses have expanded, added jobs, and become a draw to the city.
- Columbus Ohio is the Principal Test Market for Many Products -- The city, named for Christopher Columbus, is still a harbor for immigrants in the 21st Century. It's also a harbor for new foods and services.
- Columbus, Ohio for Visitors and Locals - Travel, Business -- Downtown Columbus along the Scioto River. Columbus is the capital Ohio and its largest city. The city was founded in 1812 at the fork of the Scioto and Olentangy Rivers, becoming the state capital in 1816.
- The Irish In America: Top 15 Jobs in Dublin OH -- Dublin, Ohio was once a Wild West town in the Ohio Territory, full of saloons and muddy streets. Today it is an award-winning upscale suburb with access to many jobs.
- The Scioto Mile Riverfront Complex in Columbus OH -- A mile of attractions on a redeveloped Columbus Downtown Riverfront. Day and night festivities all year long.
- Columbus, Ohio - #1 High Tech City in America -- Columbus and Central Ohio offer careers and job opportunities in Insurance and Financial Products, the Healthcare Industry, Information Technology (IT), Management Analysis, and Skilled Occupations as well as Business Services, Manufacturing (Auto Parts and Aerospace) and Retail.
© 2013 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Divorce statistics are changing worldwide. The rate of divorce in America is decreasing rather quickly, but that of Japan has continued to increase gradually since 1988.
The poorest city in America is near some of the richest cities. Camden has plenty of potential and improvements are underway in a city that has over 49,000 jobs available, but crime is tough.
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!