Crazy Colorada Laws
Colorado is a beautiful state. Just thinking about it's beautiful scenery is enough to relax you. The mountains, lakes, and fields of wheat cast a soothing aura over you. It is filled with state parks to enjoy, the camping there is out of this world. It is truly a state worth visiting. The snow and skiing in the winter is enough to make you a fan.
Colorado chose the Rocky Mountain Columbine as their state flower. This beautiful white and lavender flower has made it's way to the endangered species list. The state is now protecting this lovely wildflower by limiting the number of buds you can pick to 25 per day. It is now also considered against the law to pick this flower on public land.
Like all of our states here in the U.S. Colorado has its own unique collection of crazy loony laws to contend with. As with all the other states these silly laws leave you wondering - What were they thinking?
- One may not mutilate a rock in a state park.
- Persons may not urinate in public.
- Couches may not be placed on outside porches.
- It is illegal to bring your horse or pack mule above ground floor of any building.
- It is unlawful to lend your vacuum cleaner to your next door neighbor.
- It is illegal for a man to kiss a woman while she is asleep.
- Cats may not run loose without having been fit with a tailgate.
- You may not drive a black car on Sunday
- It is illegal to mistreat rats.
- It is illegal to let a dandelion grow within city limits.
Trivia and fun facts
- Colfax Avenue in Denver is the longest continuous street in America.
- Colorado is the only state ever to turn down the Olympics. In 1972 the voter's voted to turn down the opportunity by a 62% majority. They said they did not want to host the Olympics because of the cost, pollution, and population boom effect it would have on Colorado.
- Dove Creek is the "Pinto Bean" capital of the world.
- The Flatiron Mountainsgot their name from the pioneer women, they said the mountains looked like flat, metal irons used to iron their clothes.
- The world's largest flat-top mountain is in Grand Mesa, Colorado.
- Colorado is one of only two states in the US in which all of the water flows out of the state and none flows in. The other state is Hawaii.
- Colorado's youngest prisoner was 11-year-old Antone Woode, convicted in 1893 for murdering a neighbor. He served 12 years.
- Colorado means "colored red" and is known as the "Centennial State".
- A survey done in 1992 by the Centers for Disease Control shows that Colorado had fewer overweight people per capita than any other state. They also had more people who exercise than any other state.
- Colorado has one of the only working diamond mines in the use. It is located near the Colorado-Wyoming border.
- Mesa Verde features an elaborate four-story city carved in the cliffs by the Ancestral Pueblo people between 600 and 1300 A.D. The mystery surrounding this ancient cultural landmark is the sudden disappearance of the thousand of inhabitants who created the more than 4,000 identified structures.
- Katherine Lee Bates wrote "America the Beautiful" after being inspired by the view from Pike's Peak.
- In Fruita, the town folk celebrate 'Mike the Headless Chicken Day'. Seems that a farmer named L.A. Olsen cut off Mike's head on September 10, 1945 in anticipation of a chicken dinner - and Mike lived for another 4 years without a head.
Other Colorado Hubs
- Pictures in Loveland, Colorado Park ~ Bronze Sculptu...
An absolutely amazing number of bronze sculptures are displayed in public locations throughout Loveland, Colorado! Photos & videos.
- Garden of the Gods Park - Colorado Springs, Colorado
Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs has beautiful sandstone rocks with an incredible history of formation and erosion. I frequented this park often when I was young and its beauty enraptured me. Read more to find out why.
- On top of the Rockies: Climbing Colorado's Mt. Elber...
A trail report and guide to climbing the tallest peak in the Rocky Mountains.
- Hospitality and Good Will In Fruita Colorado
Traveling from one home town to another can become a major chore when the distance between the two is pushing the best part of 2,000 miles. The adventure can get even more discerning when you toss in an older...
- Top 15 Hot Jobs in Parker and Other Suburbs of the C...
The Pike's Peak Gold Rush, later called the Colorado Gold Rush, occurred from 1858 - 1861 give or take a year or two. It brought many 10s of thousands of...
More by this Author
Alaska is one of the most beautiful state in North America. It is a spot where you have the best fishing and hunting along with views that you won't believe.
Montana is one of the most beautiful states I've seen. The mountains, streams, and lakes make it a nature lovers dream.
Different styles look better on some than others. We all want to look good, that's a given. To look your best, you need to dress for your body type.
No comments yet.