Crazy Laws from Virginia and West Virginia
Since I had so much fun reading about crazy laws in Pa and Md I figured why not branch out and see who else has some crazy laws for us all to enjoy.
· It is illegal to ride on the handlebars of a bicycle
· It is illegal to skate down a sidewalk
· A man can beat his wife on the courthouse steps but only before 8 p.m. (From Stafford County)
· In Waynesboro, Va it is illegal for a woman to drive a car down Main st unless her husband is in front of the car waving a red flag (retribution for the previous one?)
· It is against the law to tickle a woman
· No washing your mule on the sidewalks
· It is illegal to kick your wife out of bed (ha-ha, guess it is legal to kick your hubby out of bed though)
· A man can get up to 60 days in jail for patting a woman’s behind
· You must honk your horn when passing another car
· Children are not allowed to trick-or-treat on Halloween (But how will I get any candy then?)
· Flipping a coin in a restaurant to see who pays is a violation
· Parking your car on the railroad tracks can get you jailed (Now where am I going to park?)
· Cussing about other people is prohibited
· It is illegal to own a skunk as a pet
· A woman is to be in the company of men after sundown and must also wear a corset
· There will be no spitting on sea gulls
· There is a statute that prohibits corrupt practices or bribery being done by anyone other than political candidates ( I think this one may still be in use)
Now onto a few more from West Virginia-
· It’s illegal to take a nap on the train
· If you swear in public you are to be fined one dollar per incident
· An unmarried couple that lives together may not “lewdly associate” with one another of they face up to a year in jail ( no wonder there is prison overcrowding)
· It is a misdemeanor to commit adultery and you can be fined up to twenty dollars
· You may not hold a public office is you have ever participated in a duel ( well there goes my big dreams)
· You are allowed to take home road kill for dinner
· Whistling while underwater is an illegal act
· You may not walk a lion, tiger or a leopard even if it is on a leash (well how am I supposed to walk them then?)
· It is illegal for a fireman to whistle at a woman who walks passed the fire station
· No clergy may not tell a joke from the pulpit (now that’s just ridiculous)
· It is illegal for anyone other than a baby to ride in a baby carriage
· Bestiality is allowed as long as the animal is under 40 pounds ( just ewwww)
· Children are not allowed to go to school with breath smelling of onion
Boy I wish we had that law where I grew up I could have gotten out of a lot of school then! I hope you enjoyed reading these I know I enjoyed finding them.
Reading inspires dreams....
More by this Author
Bamberg was a prison specifically built to house and torture people accused of witchcraft in the 1600's.
Have you ever seen something out of the corner of your eye and wondered if it was something other worldly?
A tragic tale of beauty and obsession.
No comments yet.