Create A Course in Sakai
Your campus will need to provide you with an instructor USER ID/LOGIN for your campus SAKAI LMS. If you are not loaded as an instructor in your campus's SAKAI, you will NOT be able to create a course.
Once you log in to SAKAI, you will see a two main navigation bars. The one on the top of the screen will list your courses starting with 'My Workspace" in a horizontal pattern across the top of your page. The courses may be named such things as "BIO 101" or ENG 203 or Introduction to Finance and they will be listed to the right of the 'My Workspace' Tab.
**If this is your first login, you may have only the 'My Workspace' button at the top.
On the left side of the screen will be the vertical 'Tools' Menu. It provides the ability to change your profile, add courses, add assessments, as well as giving you access to many other Sakai instructor features.
SAKAI 'My Workspace"
Step 1: Create a New Course Shell
From your home page, click WORKSITE SET UP from the left side menu. If the tool is missing from the LEFT vertical menu, then click "My Workspace" at the top and choose it from the drop down menu under 'My Workspace'.
Either spot is acceptable to create a course.
- Click WORKSITE SETUP.
- When the screen is open, click NEW at the top (slightly left) side of the screen.
Step 2 Course Site
You will be given 2 choices: Course Site and Project Site.
- For an instructor led course, you'll want to check mark 'Course Site'.
- Use the drop down arrow to pick your 'Class Term' such as Spring 15, Fall 16 and so on.
- Click Continue.
You MUST be listed as an instructor to create a 'Course Site' on Sakai.
Select Your Term
STEP 3: Department and Course
- From the drop down boxes, pick your Department, Courses and Section.
- You will need to load your name under 'Authorized User'. An authorized user is an instructor who has the authority to create 'new' courses. Some schools only allow their IT department to do this. If you are not sure, check with your campus SAKAI IT Department.
- Click Continue
NOTES: Depending on how your school set it up, you might see "Humanities or Business as the Department, you may see the Course as 'General Psychology' or ACC 101. The Section would be the section number you are teaching.
Many IT departments load in the basic SAKAI Departments for your school and course names. If yours is blank or missing, contact your SAKAI department on campus. They will need to load this content for you.
- On the next screen, choose your 'language' such as American English and put in a Course/Class Description. See the photo below for a visual.
Department, Course and Section
STEP 4: Choose Your Course Tools
Once you have chosen your language (English-American) and added your course description, next you'll be asked to pick what tools you'll add to your course. You use the tools to build quizzes, tests, announcements and chats.
There will be a list of tools such as assignments, chat room, gradebook lessons, email, Test & Quizzes and syllabus (most common).
Not sure what you need? You can add everything and delete items later or add the 'most common' list above.
- Check mark what you want from the Menu.
- Click Continue.
- *If you have created other courses on this campus, you can copy your selections from other courses.
- If you do not add anything, you will not be able to create quizzing later. If you are not sure, add everything or the 'most common' list above.
STEP 5 RENAMING External Tools
If you choose an option such as 'External' Tool, you will get a pop-up asking if you'd like to rename it. You do not have to change the title of anything if you do not wish.
- To leave the titles the same for the 'External Tool', just click Continue WITHOUT making changes.
If you didn't pick any options with this feature, you may NOT get this window.
STEP 6: Publish Site
- Checkmark 'Publish Site'
- Checkmark 'Limited to whom I add manually" or
'Allow' anyone' with valid ID.
If you do not publish it, students can't find it.
I prefer limited access personally and I manually load the academic roster but you may wish to open to anyone with a valid SAKAI campus ID (allow anyone).
Ask your campus IT or Department Chair which is preferred on your campus.
Public or Draft
STEP 7: Confirm your Selections
- Confirm your selections.
- Click Request Site.
- If something is incorrect, click 'Back' instead.
STEP 8 You Did It!
Next to the 'My WorkSpace' button at the top of the screen and under 'Worksite Setup', you'll now see the new course you just created.
- To access your new course, you can click the drop down on the COURSE title on the top horizontal tab OR you can click on the course name under the list in 'WorkSite Set-up'.
- For a visual reference, see the attached photo below.
You have created a SAKAI course!
Access Your Sakai Course
No comments yet.