Doctoral level degrees - titles and meanings
There is a multitude of fields for doctoral study in the United States. Would you believe that this was actually a topic on the game show Jeopardy recently?
The doctorate is a terminal degree and a credential indicating an individual's expertise in a particular field.
In many other countries, a particular doctoral title might not even be known or recognized and the Ph.D. specifically attains the most widespread recognition and respect. For example, the D.P.A. (Doctor of Public Administration) degree is most readily heard of in the United States and the Philippines. Elsewhere, many may not have heard of it.
Each doctoral degree carries its own title far beyond just the M.D. or the Ph.D. most popularly referred to when someone says "doctor". All of these degrees should be recognized for their merit. This article is to offer you the information to let you know a little more about the many doctoral titles that exist.
With the exception of the J.D. where degree recipients are likely to continue using the titles "Mr." or "Ms.", recipients of all forms of doctoral degrees use the salutation "Dr."
It could be difficult for us to keep all the various doctoral titles straight sometimes hence the idea that a Jeopardy category on the topic can indeed be challenging.
Here are some of the doctoral classifications and their meanings.:
1. M.D. - Doctor of Medicine
2. D.O. - Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
3. N.D. - Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine
4. D.D.S./D.D.M. - Doctor of Dental Surgery / Doctor of Dental Medicine
5. D.V.M. - Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
6. J.D. - Juris Doctorate (law)
7. Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy (various and not limited to English, Linguistics, Psychology)
8. D.Phil.- Doctor of Philosophy (some Universities grant the D.Phil not the Ph.D.)
9. Dr.Ph. - Doctor of Public Health
10. D.P.T - Doctor of Physical Therapy
11. D.P.M. - Doctor of Podiatric Medicine
12. D.S.W. - Doctor of Social Work
13. D.B.A. - Doctor of Business Administration
14. D.P.A. - Doctor of Public Administration
15. D.Div. - Doctor of Divinity
16. Ed.D. - Doctor of Education
17. Ed.L.D. - Doctor of Education Leadership (one program granting this degree was recently implemented at Harvard University)
18. Psy.D.- Doctor of Clinical Psychology
19. Sc.D. - Doctor of Science
20. Au.D. - Doctor of Audiology
21. O.D. - Doctor of Optometry
22. Pharm.D. - Doctor of Pharmacy
23. D.M.A.- Doctor of Musical Arts
24. D.F.A. - Doctor of Fine Arts
More by this Author
A discussion of the Zong Massacre...
About Sarah Baartman / Sara Baartman / Saartjie Baartman
Delicious meatballs are possible without breadcrumbs! Whether you don't eat breadcrumbs or none are readily available, try this recipe plus a savory tomato sauce garnished with parsley and spices.