Does the hair you lose when you comb it come back? How to prevent hair loss
I combed my hair after a shower this morning and ended up dropping way too many hairs for comfort into the trash can. It happens all the time - after every combing - that you have to wonder how you can have any hair left.
The fact is that you lose about 50-100 hairs a day. Each hair has a sort of lifespan of 2 to 6 years, and grows about a centimeter a month. While 90 percent of your hair is growing at the moment, 10 percent is not, and after 2 to 3 months of resting, it will fall out, perhaps with a little help from a brush or comb. And once that hair is gone, a new one starts growing to take its place.
This basically shows that you shouldn't worry about losing your hair when you comb. However, there are many reasons why your hair may be losing excess hair, including hormonal issues, stress, illnesses, medications, a poor diet, and unhealthy hair treatments.
What can you do to solve this issue? If it's not a major problem, there are a few simple things you can do to help:
- Shampoo, because it's good for your scalp to be clean. Make sure it's mild so you don't harm it.
- Don't forget to use conditioner. It's best to comb hair during conditioning. Use a wide-toothed comb as well; this best distributes the conditioner.
- Try different oils, such as almond or castor.
- Have a good diet of high-protein, natural foods, such as fruits and vegetables and dairy.
- Also, make sure the foods you eat have the right vitamins and minerals. Get iron, zinc, vitamins B, C and E, and copper. Seafood is a great source of most of these minerals.
- Drink plenty of water!
- It is said that eggs will strengthen your hair. It might smell strangely, but give it a try!
- Causes of Hair Loss in Women: Medical Reasons and More
WebMD talks to experts about the possible causes of hair loss in women.s may be quite different that what causes balding in men.
- Hair loss, hair thinning and chemotherapy
More by this Author
City Year is an international non-profit organization comprised of young people from different backgrounds who are determined to make a difference in the lives of children as tutors and mentors. Read about how this...
Learn what causes goosebumps, how much hair grows, and other facts about human skin, hair, and nails.
Kiwanis is an international service organization that aims to build communities and make the world a better place. There are clubs in 80 countries around the world that perform 150,000 projects and raise more than $107...