Doing the Same Thing and Expecting Different Results
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
- So the economy isn't stimulated with Quantitative Easing Version I, so let's do Version II. So the economy still isn't stimulated with Quantitative Easing Version II, how about a little Project Twist?
- So you can't get a job with a High School Degree, so you need a Bachelor's Degree. So you still can't get a job with a Bachelor's Degree, how about a Master's Degree?
- So you can't afford a house with a 20 year, 20% down mortgage. Let's try a 30 year, 10% down mortgage. So you can't afford 30 years and 10% down, let's try 30 years and 5% down. Finally, you can't afford 30 years and 5% down, so we're offering 40 years and 0% down. Don't worry; 500k for a little junky bungalow is perfectly acceptable.
- So the poor can't get into college when tuitions are 5k a year, let's offer a loan of 5k. The poor can't get into college with our 5k loan, tuitions are now 10k, so let's offer a loan for 10k. The poor still can't go to school, college tuitions are now 20K. We just need to offer a loan for 20k; that will fix it.
- So the poor can't afford rent on six dollars an hour minimum wage. Landlords are charging $400 a month for a small one bedroom apartment. Let's raise minimum wage to eight dollars an hour; landlords now charge $500 a month the next day for the same apartment. We'll try raising it to 10 dollars an hour; landlords now charge $600 a month the next day for the same apartment. Tic-toc, tic-toc, tic-toc!
- The CEO ran the corporation into the ground at one million a year; don't worry, we'll pay the next guy 2 million a year as incentive than everything will be just fine. We paid the next guy 2 million a year, he still screwed up. I know, let's offer the next guy 10 million a year. 10 million didn't do the trick? We need to offer the next guy a 100 million dollar sign up bonus. Wait a second, why is the guy we just offered the 100 million dollar signing bonus leaving the company before his first day of work?
- So we're going to stop terrorism by bombing Afghanistan; didn't work. So we're going to stop terrorism by bombing Iraq; didn't work. So we're going to stop terrorism by bombing Libya; didn't work. So we're going to stop terrorism by randomly sending in predator drones to Yemen, Pakistan, Sudan, U.A.E, Somalia, Algeria, Palestine, Egypt, Tunisia, etc. and it's still not working; terrorism is still here. You know what? We're going to start bombing Iran. Now this might work, upon declaration the whole world will turn into a nuclear wasteland; therefore no terrorists.
- So we're going to attract corporations to town by lowering taxes from 30% to 25%; they still left us for cheaper labour. So now we're going to lower taxes from 25% to 20%. Once again, they left us for cheaper labour overseas. Let's try lowering corporate taxes to 10%. Still no bites, outsourcing to India and China continues. Finally, let's try corporate taxes at 0% with welfare subsidies. Now they're coming back home; too bad they leave for China once the welfare dole runs out.
- So you can't get a job being unemployed; therefore you must volunteer. So you can't get a job volunteering; therefore you must intern. So you can't get a job interning; therefore you must be a career intern. For your information, intern is a euphemism for the word slavery in the 21st century.
- So you don't make enough money doing one job; therefore you take another job. Each job subsequently means paying more taxes, more gas bills, more food bills, and more health bills. You're still not making enough money working two jobs, so you take a third. That third job leads to paying yet more in taxes, gas bills, food bills, and health bills. You're wondering where the money went because you're working all the time. . .
- So its election time and you have three candidates. The first candidate has a stupid idea. The second candidate has the same stupid idea; but claims he can do the stupid idea better. Finally, the third candidate has the exact same stupid idea, but claims he can do the stupid idea even better.
This article began with a thoughtful quote; now this article will end with a thoughtful quote that perhaps explains where this madness is coming from:
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." - American educator Thomas H. Palmer (inventor of the American Prussian style education system)
-Donovan D. Westhaver
Other Articles by DonDWest
More by this Author
It's difficult to imagine laziness could possibly be a virtue. Since we were a small child, we've been programmed that hard work is the method of choice. What if I told you there was another way?
The growing popularity of the law of attraction is unquestionable; however it's philosophies and results it has brought to the world leave much to be desired, and should be questioned.
Insomnia is a condition that prevents people from falling asleep or staying asleep throughout the night. It's a condition I have struggled with throughout my late teens until today.