Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Urine

Where does the name come from?

Urine. What a strange name for the liquid waste we dispel. Maybe it's called urine because it is dispelled from the urethra. Urine is secreted by the kidneys during filtration known as urination.

What process does urine go through?

The urinary system consists of kidneys, urinary bladder and the urethra. The kidneys extract the soluble waste from the bloodstream which contains excess water, sugar and other compounds. Glucose (sugar) is reabsorbed into the blood stream while the remaining fluid has high concentrations of toxins. Urine goes from the kidneys to the ureter, to the bladder and then to the urethra.

What colors of urine are there?

Urine is normally a pale yellow color but can range from a colorless sample to an amber color. It is approximately 95% water and the remaining 5% are other compounds. Urine is sterile and nearly odorless except in the case of either a kidney or urinary tract infection. Urine may have strong odors due to bacterial action. Odor is also caused by food consumption and coffee is one of the things that causes odor so limit the coffee all caffeine junkies! Urea is toxic, and is irritating to skin and eyes.

  • Colorless urine indicates over hydration which is healthier than dehydration.
  • Yellow or a light orange color may be as a result of removal of excess vitamin B.
  • Bloody urine indicates a bladder infection.
  • If you eat beet, the urine may have a pink color but is harmless and temporary.
  • If the urine is a dark orange or brown, it can be a symptom of jaundice or Gilbert's syndrome.
  • Black or dark colored urine could be caused by melanoma.
  • A green colored urine is the consequence of consuming asparagus so cut down on that veg!
  • Dark yellow indicates dehydration so keep on drinking fluids.

These are just some of the basics things about urine. There are of course many more items that could be mentioned and Wikipedia provides a great reference to such items.

More by this Author


Comments 2 comments

Cleanclover profile image

Cleanclover 6 years ago from Piece of land!

I had red urine once with excrutiating pain. I consulted my doc, i had Urinary tract infection. I was put on anti biotics and in 2 days i recovered.

Thank you very much for the information now i check everytime my urine is white which means it's healthy :-)


CiscoPixie profile image

CiscoPixie 6 years ago from I'm in a world of my own, but aren't we all? Author

Well, now you know which hub to view if you have another problem. Thanks for commenting

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.


    Click to Rate This Article
    working