Facts About The Human Body.
Your brilliant body.
The human body is an amazing natural machine, made up of millions of cells and hundreds of parts, working thousands of functions all in harmonious reliance. For us to be in existence at all a multitude of intricate and delicate processes have to be functioning. The ability to breath, think, feel, sleep and do all the other other amazing activities within our ability, mean that certain mechanisms are needed for our bodies to work adequately.
The concept that I find the most extraordinary, are the functions and possesses that largely go unnoticed because they are involuntary, my heart beats, my ears hear, my eyes see, my lungs inhale and exhale, without any conscious effort on my part, I don't have to think about doing it, I take it so much for granted in fact that I don't even realize I'm doing things, when I am.
The human body is fascinating, just have a look at some of these facts.....
Did you Know?
- You have nine muscles in your ear.
- 90% of your brain is the part called the cerebrum.
- Every single minute your body transports 56,000 million, million, million atoms of oxygen.
- At birth you are colour blind.
- Your brain weighs 1.3kg/3 pounds.
- Every part of your body, except for your teeth has the ability to repair itself.
- At a normal rate we take on average ten intakes of breath a minute however, if we are anxious or have participated in a particularly heavy exercise session, it can increase to almost eight times as much.
- There are as many as one hundred million smell receptors in your nose.
- Your brain uses one fifth of your bodies energy resources.
- Your eyes are so sensitive that they can distinguish the subtle differences between more then ten million different colours.
- The cardiac muscle is unique to the heart and never gets tired.
- Your big toe has two bones which is less then your other toes, which have three.
- You are more prone to illness if you experience sleep disruption or deprivation.
- To stop blood flowing the wrong way around your body, veins have valves.
- The body is made up of nearly seventy per cent water.
- Your tongue can taste one part in two million of bitterness in a solution.
- The heart is one organ, made up of two pumps and four chambers.
- On average the brain is only 2% of your bodies weight.
- A sneeze travels at over one hundred miles an hour.
- one in three people have twenty, twenty vision.
- Our eyes are protected by eyelashes, eyelids and our eyebrows.
- One fifth of the bodies blood supply goes to the brain.
- Men have between five to six litres of blood in there body, while women have between four and five.
- DNA stands for deoxyribonucleic acid.
- Over 300 muscles are working in your body, when you are standing still.
- Elephants and dolphins have larger brains then humans.
- You can only taste things that your saliva can dissolve.
- Your eyes are so delicate that tears have antibacterial properties to protect them against infections.
- In an average lifetime, the heart will beat three billion times, that's forty million times a year.
- Adults have less bones (two hundred and six) then babies (three hundred and fifty) this is because certain bones 'fuse' together as we grow.
- You lose more water from your body each day through breathing then you do sweating.
- If you sneezed with your eyes open, the force is so great that they would fall out.
- Your Urine contains about 95% water.
- Your left lung is a little smaller then your right, to compensate for the room that's needed for your heart.
- We actually see images upside down because the cornea is curved, it's the visual cortex in our brain that allows us to view the world the world the right way up.
- Your largest internal organ is the liver and it performs over 100 different functions for the body.
- There is bone in your gums.
- Your thigh bone is stronger then concrete.
- The small intestine is larger then the large intestine.
- In every red blood cell there are as many as two hundred and eighty million molecules of hemoglobin.
- Although bones are rigid and have compact bone on the outside, they are hollow in the middle with the marrow cavity, has spongy bone near the joints and some have a blood vessel running through it.
I hope you found these facts as fascinating and interesting as I did when I was researching this hub. Thank-you for reading and I hope you keep your own body a healthy and happy one.
- list of unusual facts about animals.
The animal kingdom is a truly fascinating group of living entities that inhabit this planet we call earth. The diversity of the species and the environments of which they inhabit all over the world, bring with them a plethora of what can be viewed...
- Facts about the world cup.
As we prepare for another world cup and another bout of football fever hitting not only the nation but the world, it's always handy to do a bit of swatting up and adding to your world cup knowledge. The...
- Interesting Facts About the Moon, Sun and the Earth.
The earth is our home, the planet we reside on and the earths moon is it's nearest celestial body. Our ancestors have been questioning our place in space and answering what seems like impossible questions for many, many years. Since the birth of...
More by this Author
It's a life long marathon and because of all the many different ways in which we interpret success, there is no one formula or short cut in which to achieve it. More often then not we don't think of success as one...
Every so often we find ourselves at a time in our life when we feel a change of self or direction is required and desired. You contemplate your current situation and the way you feel about yourself at these pivotal or...
Acting is by far one of the hardest professions to obtain regular work in and harder still to achieve any success, fame or wealth in. The glamour and opulence of celebrity is extremely alluring and the prestige of being...