Six Things That Make Me Happy
Being happy is something we all have to actively work on every single day. No one is happy all the time – I know I’m not. I have good days and bad days. Correction, I have days filled with good moments and bad moments. On some days, the good moments far outweigh the bad moments and on other days, the opposite is true. My good moments usually occur when I’m doing the things I love or hanging with the people I care about. This realization has led me to the conclusion that I hit my happiness peak whenever these six things happen.
1. Hearing my son call me “mommy” – It’s been seven years since I walked out of the hospital, clueless as most first time mothers are with a kid in my arms and absolutely no clue what to do with him. I recall looking at him and thinking “it’s just you and me kiddo, let’s do this”. It actually still hasn’t sunk in yet that I am someone’s mother. Seriously, me – a rebellious, carefree spirit brought life into this world. I am someone’s mother and no matter how tired or stressed I am or what is happening in my life, every time I hear the word “mommy” coming from his lips, my world suddenly gets a little brighter. Ofcourse it helps that at least 60% of the time the word mommy is uttered, a big old hug is not too far behind.
2. Hanging with my little dude playing Wii boxing - I am a very competitive person. So is my son. That apple didn’t fall too far from the tree. We both absolutely love Wii boxing and are constantly challenging each other to a match or two, maybe even three or four. We fight it out until one of us or both of us can barely move. It’s fun and very exhausting but it’s our bonding time and definitely one of the things that make me happy.
3. Writing a really good article – Only writers can relate to this but sometimes I write an article that makes me feel like a million bucks inside. If you’ve ever done a really good job on a project and stepped away from it thinking to yourself “oh man, I really am the s^%t for that right there”, then you know what I’m talking about here.
4. Providing for my parents – I am totally one of those kids who absolutely loves taking care of her parents. My parent, especially my mother sacrificed a lot to make sure my sibling and I had a fabulous childhood. We went to the best schools, got new outfits for Christmas and traveled extensively thanks to my mom’s job. Because of all that travel, I’m a very cultured person who can fit in pretty much anywhere. My parents molded me into the woman I am today. My mother was and continues to be a fabulous and darn good mother and I am happy when she calls me needing assistance and I can help out. Ofcourse I can’t always help out but when I can, oh boy, it feels really good.
5. Laying on the beach reading trashy novels. I have a confession to make. I love trashy novels. I especially love reading them while laying out on the beach getting some sun. I am not one of those people who go to the beach to swim, I go to lay in the sun and people watch whenever I am not lost in the pages of a really good book. Give me a whole day of laying in the sun with a good book and you’ll have a very happy camper.
6. Winning – Entering sweepstakes and contests is a hobby of mine and let me tell you, nothing beats the adrenaline rush I get from seeing a winning notification in my email box or getting a phone call informing me I have won something. I have won so much stuff, the latest being a trip to Super Bowl 46. I am so hooked on sweepstaking and winning that I even have a website dedicated to the hobby. It’s called Freebies City and if I may say so myself, it’s a nice little place to hang out and enter to win some really cool stuff.
As you can see, it really doesn’t take much to make me happy. These six things are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to things that make me happy. The list goes on and on but I believe at the end of the day we create our own happiness and the easiest way to do that is by surrounding ourselves with the people we love and doing the things we love. Do this without fail and you too will be able to achieve the level of happiness you crave.
I have shared the top six things that make me happy, what are some things that make you happy? Share them in the comments below.
More by this Author
I was listening to my XM radio (heavens how did I exist without satellite radio?) when the song Alone (often referred to as How Do I Get You Alone) by Heart came on and I was moved to tears,literally.I stopped dusting...
When I truly like a man, I pursue him. I shamelessly go after him with every bit of energy I have and if I may tut my own horn, I always get my man. I know that I’m not the typical woman. I know that what I...
No comments yet.