Five Tips to Enjoying Life While Young, Unattached, and Unemployed
Making Lemonade Out of Lemons
You got the pink slip and the first thing that you are thinking about was how you were going to survive. Look on the bright side, you’re young, you’re not beholden to anyone, you don’t have dependents, let’s face it you have more options than most. Realize that there’s still a lot of life to enjoy and now is the time to do the things that you were too busy to do before.
1. Travel the world. If you are one of the lucky few who got a severance package from your employer, this options is viable for you and it will never be as easy as now. If you’re still living with your family, pack up, look for the cheapest fare that you can find to your favored destination and go. If you rent, sublet or talk to your landlord about releasing you from your lease. There are so many places where the dollar can buy so much. If you stick to the same hemisphere Latin America is extremely affordable. Our neighbor, Mexico, welcomes Americans and your dollars. Three-star hotels are cheap, good food Is affordable, and there are many places to explore, whether it be the beaches of Cancun, Acapulco, and Huatulco or the colonial cities of Merida, San Miguel d Allende, or Dolores Hidalgo. The same situation can be found in Buenos Aires, San Jose, Panama City and so forth.
2. Travel the USA. Take your car and go. Everyone’s been affected by this recession and you can talk to people about giving you the best rate for a night at their hotel, where the good cheap eats are and to explore the wonders of your country right here in the Good Ol’ USA. If you have initiative, you might be able to trade in your hotel stay for some odd jobs.
3. Volunteer overseas with an organization. Get some information from the Peace Corps, Worldteach, VIA/Volunteers in Asia, or Crosscultural Solutions or other organization. Determine which organization works best for you.
4. Find a cheap bartender course. You can parlay this skill into a lucrative part-time job (psssst, the money’s in the tips) and you will always be the popular guy or gal in the party.
5. Find out what you really want in life and make it happen. There are very few times when you will have the luxury to realize what you want to do with your life. Most people have things happen to them. Use this time when you’re unexpectedly unemployed to purposely live your life the way you want.
If you do it right, unemployment was probably the best thing that ever happened to you.
Some Shades While You're Cruisin'
More by this Author
Everybody knows about the English, the Scots, and the Irish contributions to America, but what about the Welsh people? The Welsh influence and contributions to America belie the number of Welsh immigrants.
Flightkeeper When you walk inside the National Air and Space Museum through the National Mall entrance, you can't help but look up. For anyone who loves flying on planes and find space exploration a source of wonder and...
It used to be that when women started getting gray hairs it meant that they were too old to be attractive. Women are refusing to think that way anymore and it's about time. There are so many accomplished older women...