Formula for Success for Young People
Ambitious Young People - 2015 National Youth Awards in Dominica
Set the Dial on Success
Get Your Road Map to Success
As young persons graduate from schools and colleges around the world and prepare to enter the world of work, many have grand ideas as to where they want to go and how quickly they want to achieve success. However, success is usually more achievable when people have a formula, plan, road map or some such thing to guide them and to keep them on the right track. Sometimes, young people grow up in homes or environments where there is not adequate guidance and no matter how ambitious and intelligent they are, they experience unnecessary roadblocks in their journey to success. It is therefore important that young people follow a formula for success. Here is a simple, useful formula.
Take the Route to Success
1. Dream, Set Goals and Follow the Steps
Every young person should have a dream and should try, through honest means, to make that dream come true. This is usually referred to as ambition. The realization of your dream or fulfilment of your ambition will, to a large extent, depend on the goals you set, the soundness of your goals and the measures which you take to achieve them. Your goals should, therefore, be realistic and attainable. It would be pointless to set goals which are clearly unattainable for this would only bring about frustration and disillusionment. Additionally, long term goals can be broken up into mini/short term goals which will make fulfillment appear a lot easier and within your grasp.
It is a fact that greater value is placed on things that are hard earned than things that have come easily. Let me say then, that long term or short term, no matter the goals; success and fulfillment will only come through effort and hard work.
Key to Success
2. Make Education, Training and Certification Your Priorities
The importance, in this day and age, of education, training and certification for successful attainment of ones goals cannot be over emphasized.
- Education - Without a doubt, education is the key to a better future. Education enables and empowers; it positions you at the front of the queue.The expression, ‘education is key’ is probably becoming tired and worn, but its veracity is unquestionable. One may counter that there are some great people whose success was attained with little or no formal education. The percentage of such people would be low in comparison with the converse.
- Training - This is organized activity geared at assisting persons in improving their competencies in a given area. The result of training should be enhanced capacity, productivity and performance. It is therefore a vital link between education and actual performance . Training can be pursued on the job or through workshops, seminars or other methods prior to or during one's employment. The important thing is that young people should embrace every opportunity for training for this will place them at an advantage for employment, promotions and other job related factors.
- Certification - This is required for all well-paying forms of employment. Almost every job requires at least college level certification. It says to prospective employers that you have undergone training up to a specific level in your area of expertise. That slip of paper will help open doors to opportunities which will improve your quality of life. In the past, it might have been enough just to learn a skill for this would equip you with the means to earn an income and raise a family. Today, skill without certification is grossly inadequate!
Get on Board with Computers!
3. Computer Skills are a Must!
Computer literacy is not an option in today’s world; it is essential! - to getting a job, to keeping the job, to beating your competitors. Think of it; if you are a bygone days mechanic who knows nothing about computerized engines you are out of the job race! If you are a contractor who can’t follow digitally designed plans you will soon be out of the job market and again, if you are tendering for a contract, you will find that inability to prepare and submit estimates electronically is a major setback. Undoubtedly, certification in computer skills will enhance your academic qualifications and make you more marketable/successful.
In a competitive, technologically advanced world there is no place for lack of ambition. Young people should therefore equip themselves with computer skills and the requisite certification to compete on the job market since the better opportunities go to those who possess these additional requirements.
4. Go for the Positive!
- Young people need to understand how important it is to stay away from negative influences; how not to be dazzled by the temporary glitter and glamour of easy money; of wealth acquired through dishonest or unscrupulous means such as drugs, immorality and crime. Rather, they should be prepared to work hard and to live with a conscience which is clean and free.
- Discipline and commitment are also key factors in the quest for success. These are what make you hang in there against all odds. Lack of self discipline and a low level of commitment will sooner or later cause a loss of focus and put you on the road to failure.
- The need for a positive attitude cannot be over emphasized for no matter how educated you are, an undesirable attitude will get you nowhere. Humility, team spirit and a desire for self improvement help make life a pleasant experience for you and those with whom you interact. On the other hand, selfishness and arrogance only help you to build a castle which will eventually crumble around you for “pride cometh before a fall”. Also, just as you look for example from your seniors, you should strive to be the type of example/role model that others would want to emulate.
Prayer Changes Things
Finally, young people are wont to ignore the importance of prayer in bringing about the fulfillment of dreams. Prayer is powerful and it is necessary . Constant connection with the Almighty Father sets you on track and keeps you on course. If you slip and fall it is easier to pick yourself up and start again when there is strong connection with the Lord.
Formula for Success
So here’s the formula for success in today's world:
- SOUND GOALS+
- TRAINING +
- COMPUTER SKILLS +
- CERTIFICATION +
- DISCIPLINE AND COMMITMENT +
- A POSITIVE ATTITUDE +
- A STRONG CONNECTION WITH THE ALMIGHTY GOD =
- SUCCESSFUL LIFE
Youth in Society
- Travelling the Journey of Life
Life is a journey. We must all try to make this journey count for something for we were not brought into this world to be just another statistic, but to impact the lives of others meaningfully.
- My Thoughts on Climbing the Ladder of Success
It is possible for everyone to achieve success in their given field of endeavor. However, for this to happen, they must first recognize their ambitions, then plan the path or ladder to their success.
- The Young Generation - Help Them Succeed
Today's youth are fully aware of the negativity which surrounds them in society, yet despite society's disapprobation , many continue to fight the good fight to change this negative perception.
- Youth - The Wonders of Being Young
Youth is the time to seize opportunities; to take risks; to fall down, pick yourself up and start again; to pursue your dreams and make them come true; to explore new horizons and shape your destiny.
- Leadership - Being a Youth Leader
It is not easy to be a youth leader in today's society as there are many societal pressures which exert strong influences on young people causing them to compromise their values and behave wrongly.
- Empowering the Youth for a Better Tomorrow
Preparing the youth for adult responsibilities and for taking their place as future leaders should not be taken for granted. It is the duty of the older generation to facilitate this preparation.
- Youth in Today's Society
We cannot continue to blame the youth for the problems in modern society. “Children learn what they live and they live what they learn” (Dorothy Law Neite), hence adults must model correct behaviors.
- Make the World a Better Place – Be Tolerant Toward...
When we are supportive of each other and sensitive to each other's needs, we contribute to a better and brighter world. “We shall pass this way but once...”
- Job Satisfaction: High Quality Work Pays Off in the ...
A good salary is the No.1 factor in job motivation for generally, people want to work where the pay is best. However, regardless of the circumstances, a good worker always aims to give his/her best
- Relationships - Understanding the Nature of Relation...
A relationship is meant to be a beautiful and fulfilling experience and no matter the outcome, we are usually richer or stronger for having gone through it. It is not always meant to be permanent.
- Changing Jobs: Determine the Right Time
Change is inevitable; it is an integral aspect of living and should be embraced if there is the possibility that it will provide opportunities which will enhance your quality of life.
- Facing Change
Change is an integral aspect of living; we all therefore, change over time. Changes in our life circumstances may trigger different changes in our attitudes which are then manifested in our behavior.
- Change - A Positive Perspective
Change is inevitable; it is an integral aspect of living and should not be resisted if there is the possibility that it can bring positive outcomes in one’s life.
- FACE YOUR FEARS
Fear is a negative force inside us which keeps us trapped within ourselves. It creates boundaries and limitations in our lives and prevents us from performing at our peak potential. It causes us to live within self imposed shackles from which we are
More by this Author
Streaming refers to the grouping of students by ability. The objective is to allow like students to move ahead at a pace which matches their abilities. I am a strong advocate for streaming.
There are many factors which influence student motivation; these include school as well as non school factors. Students bring to the classroom varying types of extrinsic motivation.
When describing it is important that you engage the reader fully by making him see, hear, feel, taste and/or smell that which you are describing; you should use language which appeals to the senses.