Fun & Free SAT Words Starting with “A”
Learn SAT Words the Fun Way
How can you remember definitions for SAT vocabulary words? Sometimes a special sample sentence or image makes definitions unforgettable. With that in mind, here are sentences, pictures and videos to help you learn SAT vocabulary words that start with A.
You'll also get SAT practice questions. These are original questions written by me -- an actual contributor to "real" . Yay. Today's your lucky day. This whole SAT alphabet series is free. SAT practice guides
SAT "A" Words
The words explored in this hub include:
ACRIMONY Between Anchormen
ACRIMONY – noun – bitterness or discord
Sample Sentences Using Acrimony
- Star Magazine and other tabloids relish any hint of acrimony between Brad and Angelina.
- The acrimonious relationship became public knowledge when Martha Stewart allegedly mowed over her neighbor's garden.
Practice SAT Question with Acrimony
Fill in the blank to answer this question about angry anchormen. You can see related footage in the video of a heated exchange below.
Despite their apparent rapport during most newscasts, the anchormen expressed fierce ________ during last night's live report.
The answer is B, acrimony .
- Resolve is determination.
- Infallibility is the inability to fail.
- Eloquence is artfulness and usually refers to speech or writing.
SAT tip: "Despite" is a clue that you're looking for an antonym of "rapport."
Political ACUMEN or a High-Risk Gamble?
ACUMEN - noun - keen insight, deep perception
Sample Sentences Using Acumen
- Pundits will debate whether the President’s historic decision stemmed primarily from ethical considerations or from political acumen.
- A former hippie with business acumen sells upscale hemp clothing online.
Practice SAT Question Using Acumen
Fill in the blank.
On The Golden Girls, Sophia's lack of business ________ leads to her involvement in unsuccessful get-rich-quick schemes.
The answer is D, acumen.
- Anecdotes are stories.
- Intransigence is extreme stubbornness or an unwillingness to compromise.
- Alacrity is speed or eagerness.
ADUMBRATE – verb – to outline in a vague way
Sentences That Use Forms of Adumbrate
- The shady businessman has studied the art of adumbration for many years.
- Instead of telling an elaborate story, Kelso would have been better off adumbrating a reasonable excuse for borrowing Red's saw.
Practice SAT Question With Adumbrate
Fill in the blank.
I needed specific directions but Richard only ________ his shortcut to the hideout.
The answer is A, adumbrated.
- Refuted means "denied" or "challenged."
- Illuminated means "shed light upon" or "made clear."
- Reconciled relates to making agreements.
ALACRITY: Toontses Drives with Alacrity
Unfortunately, the cat's alacrity for driving is not matched by much skill.
ALACRITY -- noun -- eagerness, cheerful readiness
Sample Sentences Using Alacrity
- Toontses, a cat, drives cars with alacrity but ultimately drives off a cliff.
- The alacrity of Lesley Knope's loyal campaign staff paid off at the polls.
Practice SAT Question Using Alacrity
Fill in the blank.
Although she'd been excited to earn her driver's license, Ruby's ________ for driving disappeared whenever Mom requested she run errands.
The answer is B, alacrity.
- Aversion is dislike.
- Apathy is disinterest.
- Ambivalence refers to uncertainty or flip-flopping.
SAT tip: "Although" in the sentence above is a clue that you're looking for a synonym of "excited."
ANATHEMA: Phoebe and Ursula Are Enemies
ANATHEMA - noun - a person or thing that is detested
Samples Sentences Using Anathema
- Although most residents had happily accepted the oil company's offer, drilling suddenly became an anathema when it poisoned Fred's water.
- Betsy Ross joined the Washingtons' church after her own church anathemized her.
Practice SAT Question Using Anathema
Fill in the blank.
While other twins are best friends, Phoebe Buffay and her sister Ursula regard each other as ________.
The answer is A, anathemas.
- Confidantes are people who confide in one another.
- Ascetics are self-denying or antisocial people.
- Pragmatists are practical people.
Good work! Click here for B words. Follow my Hub to get an alphabet full of fun SAT word practice.
More Free SAT Vocabulary Lessons
- Fun & Free SAT Words Starting with “C”
SAT vocabulary practice is more fun when it features candid photos of President Obama, Madonna, Lindsay Lohan and other celebrities. Get free SAT word definitions with memorable photos and video. This article features common SAT words that start with
- Fun & Free SAT Words Starting with “F”
Learn SAT vocabulary with Frasier Crane, Carla Tortelli and other TV characters. This article focuses on
- Fun SAT Vocabulary Review: Crossword Puzzle #1
This free SAT vocabulary crossword puzzle uses words from my lessons A through E.
"Amatory" Defined on an SAT-Shirt
SAT Practice Tests
More by this Author
This helpful article teaches an easy way to make personalized spelling lessons, even for large groups of students. Samples of student work are included. Also see pictures of funny spelling mistakes by grown-ups.
SAT vocabulary practice is more fun when it features candid photos of President Obama, Madonna, Lindsay Lohan and other celebrities. Get free SAT word definitions with memorable photos and video. This article features...
See vintage ads for legal cocaine, pot, heroin and other substances that are now controlled. The old drug ads and labels are accompanied by a history of drug use and drug prohibition in the USA.
No comments yet.