Fun & Free SAT Words Starting with “E”
Jackie Chiles Endorses SAT "E" Words
The Seinfeld lawyer Jackie Chiles embraces SAT words. In Jackie's vocabulary, a defendant's behavior isn't simply illegal: It's outrageous, egregious and preposterous and possibly lewd, lascivious and salacious too. Check in with Jackie Chiles and other Seinfeld characters to get extra SAT practice.
This article focuses on SAT-level words that start with "E" including egregious, enigma and ephemeral. Other potential SAT words are defined after the sample questions.
Jackie Describes a Cinema's Policy as EGREGIOUS
An EGREGIOUS Mistake: The Rat Fur Hat Incident
EGREGIOUS - adj. - extraordinary in a bad way
Sample Sentences Using Egregious
- Jackie Chiles describes a movie theater's "no outside beverages" policy as outrageous, egregious and preposterous.
- George Costanza, an egregious liar, knows how to defeat lie detector tests.
Sample SAT Question Using Egregious
Fill in the blank.
As managing editor of the J. Peterman catalog, Elaine Benes's most ___________ mistakes include purchasing an $8000 hat and marketing a sombrero to city dwellers.
The best answer is C, egregious, because these mistakes were extraordinarily bad. On the other hand:
- Something that's phlegmatic might actually involve phlegm, but usually phlegmatic is used metaphorically to describe a person who is calm, sluggish, or not easily excited into taking action or showing emotion.
- Synonyms for supercilious are "arrogant" and "scornful."
- Meritorious means "praiseworthy."
On to the next word: Enigma.
Newman Is an ENIGMA
ENIGMA - n. - a puzzle or mystery
Sentences Using Enigma
- Elaine described Newman as "an enigma, a mystery wrapped in a riddle."
- The enigmatic man in a cape slipped an envelope to Frank Costanza.
Sample SAT Question Using Enigma
Kramer's first name remained an _________ until Seinfeld's sixth season.
The best answer is C, enigma, because Kramer's first name was a mystery. As for the other choices, an anomaly is an exception or a deviation. An anachronism is something that's in the wrong time. For example, telephone wires would be anachronistic in a film set in the Old West. Finally, an imbroglio is a complicated situation. It may involve a misunderstanding or a disagreement and be accompanied by bitter feelings between people or nations.
Kramer's EPHEMERAL Appearance in Times Square
Jerry and George: "We're Not Men"
EPHEMERAL - adj. - lasting for a short time
Sentences with Ephemeral
- Jackie Chiles was dismayed when Kramer settled for an ephemeral appearance in Times Square in lieu of a major cash payment.
- Jerry Seinfeld's romantic relationships are ephemeral, rarely lasting for more than an episode or two.
Sample SAT Question with Ephemeral
Fill in the blanks.
Like ________ adolescents, George and Jerry rarely seem to realize that life is ____________.
(A) ephemeral, perpetual
(B) perpetual, ephemeral
(C) wizened, euphemistic
(D) sagacious, immutable
The best answer is (B). "Like perpetual adolescents, George and Jerry rarely seem to realize that life is ephemeral." They are neither wizened (shriveled like old men) nor sagacious (shrewd or especially mentally discerning).
As for the other word choices, something that's euphemistic avoids being blunt. If something is immutable, it's unchangeable or changeless.
That concludes this SAT "E" words lesson. Feel free to add your own sample sentences in the comments section below.
Like this? Please share. It will show your benevolence :-).
SAT Practice Tests
- Fun & Free SAT Words Starting with “A”
SAT word practice is most fun when it's free and features famous folks: Brangelina, President Obama, Michael Kelso, Sophia Petrillo and more. Get free SAT word lists, definitions and memorable examples via photos and video.
- Fun English Word Definitions A-Z: Part One
Enjoy these funny English words from an SAT tutor. Each funny word is defined and used in context.
- Free SAT Practice Test - The College Board
Taking the SAT Practice Test is a stress-free (and free) way to find your strengths and weaknesses on the SAT. You can test online, or you can print it out.
More by this Author
Read this article to learn about "human hybrids" who express two sets of DNA. They can fail paternity tests and criminal DNA tests! They can also run into lots of medical-related hassles.
SAT vocabulary practice is more fun when it features candid photos of President Obama, Madonna, Lindsay Lohan and other celebrities. Get free SAT word definitions with memorable photos and video. This article features...
See vintage ads for legal cocaine, pot, heroin and other substances that are now controlled. The old drug ads and labels are accompanied by a history of drug use and drug prohibition in the USA.
No comments yet.