Funny Minnesota culture
If your pets food dish is a plastic Country Crock container......you might be a Minnesotan.
- It's not just the land of 10.000 lakes, we actually have over 13,000 bodies of water. More lakeshore property than almost half of the coastal states combined! You'll never go thirsty here!
- We have four amazing seasons throughout the year; cold winter, cool winter, warm winter, and August.
- When you hear a gunshot in the rural areas of Minnesota, your only concern is which direction it came from so you can stop by their place that weekend and chat about whatever it was they were shootin' and how many they got.
- Some schools in the state actually shut down for the entire week of shotgun/rifle deer hunting season,
- Minnesota is at a higher elevation than most mountains on the west coast.
- Yes, believe it or not, it can snow up to two feet in one day and we live through it. Yes, we get snowed in and sit at home and get drunk and listen to music. Or we play Monopoly and argue with our families after 24-48 hours of lack of fresh air. And we love it!!
- When it does snow here, we don't put chains on our tires and shut down the town like some places. In fact we get out there and plow through the snow, if it's not too deep, with our 4x4 trucks and ATV's and whoop it up! We look forward to this.
- When the temperature reaches -50 to -60 wind chills or actual temperature, the kids get a day off of school. This happens nearly once every year. We have many days between January and February that are -20 to -50 wind chills and that is normal. Also, if we get 10+ inches of snow, that's called a Snow Day and the kids look forward to at least one of those every year as well. This is when we go snowmobiling, sledding, ice skating, and skiing. Or we just sit at home and watch movies and enjoy each others company. It's a nice break in life sometimes.
- In January in Oregon the temperatures can be 40+, but the citizens there are in Parka's with chattering teeth. We pull out our shorts and t-shirts and no jacket. As soon as Spring in MN hits in March, our coats and boots and hats come off! After 5,6 months of being loaded up like a snowman every time we walk out the door, we're relieved for weather we can just breathe in.
- I do believe we invented the hotdish/casserole. When you may be snowed into your home for several days a winter and the temps are subzero for a couple months, you have to make do. You can't run to the grocery store every day, that's not how it works. You take what you have in your pantry and you throw it in a dish and you bake it. That is a casserole/hotdish.
- Minnesota is actually conducive to the illness SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), typically caused by being cooped up inside for so many days, weeks, months at a time, without sunlight. Doctors prescribe UV lamps that you lay under and get the Vitamin D that you're lacking, which also replaces some of the other vitamins and minerals the body needs. Some of these side effects of SAD are changes in appetite, sleep, diet and weight issues.
- The land of 10,000 lakes declares mosquitoes a public nuisance.
- Citizens may not enter Wisconsin with a chicken on their head.
- All bathtubs must have feet.
- All men driving motorcycles must wear shirts.
- Law that makes it legal for a farmer to sleep with his pigs, cows, horses, goats, and chickens.
- Every man in Brainerd, Minnesota is required by law to grow a beard.
- It shall be the duty of any policeman or any other officer to enforce the provisions of this Section, and if any cat is found running at large, or which is found in any street, alley or public place, it shall be the duty of any policeman or other officer of the city to kill such cat. (Hibbing)
- It is illegal to allow animals to sleep in a bakery (Duluth, Minnesota)
- It’s illegal to tease skunks.
- No person may be charged with or convicted of the offense of drunkenness or public drunkenness.
- Hamburgers may not be eaten on Sundays. (St. Cloud)
- It is illegal to drive a truck or other vehicle whose wheels or tires deposit mud, dirt, sticky substances, litter or other material on any street or highway. (Minnetonka, MN)
This one is still on the books in Minnetonka under section 845.010 – Public Nuisances
Have you ever been to Minnesota?See results without voting
More by this Author
What type of beard, mustache, goatee are you wearing? Here's what's sexy....
Ever had an experience with ghosts or other supernatural entities? I've had several interesting experiences with ghosts and I've written about some of them here. Please come and share your stories with me too!
Fashion from the 1980's has made its inevitable return to our closets. Fluorescent, big belts, big earrings, big hair, denim jackets, peace signs, leg warmers, ruffles, color coordination and crazy patterns are some of...