GETTING READY FOR STUDENT TEACHING
Whatare some of the specific things you can do to get ready for it? In order to create favorable conditions for your success in student teaching, the following suggestions are offered:
1. Reduce your load other than student teaching to a minimum.
No one can estimate how many hours you will need to set aside each day or week for student teaching. You can expect that the number of hours will increase as your work in student teaching continues. You will take over some of the work of your supervising teacher.
2. Recognize that your success depends upon your ability to work effectively with others. To aid you in getting ready for this, the following suggestions are presented:
a. Be courteous, cooperative and tactful.
b. Be a pleasant, cheerful, willing and enthusiastic worker.
c. Seek the cooperating teacher's advice when you need it.
d. Respect the judgment of the supervising teacher.
e. Be objective. Accept constructive criticisms without feeling hurt.
f. Be professional. Avoid gossip or criticism.
g. Be tolerant of any limitations you find in the cooperating teacher. Do not expect him to be a perfect teacher for like other human beings, he may have some shortcomings. Above all, do not attempt to improve him.
h. Look for opportunities to assist the supervising teacher and to be of service to this school. Take advantage of the opportunities you find.
i. Be dependable. Do what you are expected to do and give the best of your ability at the time it needs to be done.
3. Recognize that the school to which you are assigned expects you to maintain high standards of personal conduct, appearance and efficiency.
4. Begin your work with a determination to conquer weaknesses and to profit from criticism.
5. Bear in mind that in every activity a teacher undertakes, he needs to plan it carefully.
6. Formulate for yourself a list of aims that you will strive to achieve as a student teacher.
The student teacher will profit from the following measures:
More by this Author
Biology is the study of living organisms and there are many subfields of study under that umbrella. From anatomy to zoology, there are more than 30 different areas of study under biology.
Before a student becomes a student teacher he needs to pass the general education program of the college. The courses in education are designed to give insights into the sociological, philosophical,...
Sandwiches A sandwich is made up of one or more slices of bread with nutritious filling between them. Any kind of bread,cream or loaf bread, rolls and buns will make a good sandwich. The filling may be slices of cold...