Genetic Memory - Are You Dreaming Your Ancestors Memories?
Reincarnation or Genetic Memory?
There has been much talk about reincarnation. And how people believe that they have lived before because they had dreamed about something or someone in history.
But what if we are wrong? What if all your dreams, or at least some of them are just showing you snapshots of your ancestors lives?
There has never been a real study of dreams. We take for granted that dreaming is just a way for our brains to slow down, relax and go over the facts of the day. In other words sort out the wheat from the chaff as my mother used to say. The fact is:
Maybe sometimes we are dreaming about our ancestors lives!
Think about it. Why did you dream about being on one of those old sailing ships from the say, 18th century? That dream was so real wasn't it?
And how come you can ride a horse really well in a dream yet in real life you have never even got near one as you live in the city?
Is our brain so amazing that it can emulate feelings and learning without actually experiencing it?
As I said above, many people believe that this could be caused by reincarnation. And to be honest I do think that's the case sometimes. Why?
For example if you are say, British and you dream that you are living in India and even speaking the language then it can't be genetic memory. Unless of course you have an Indian ancestor. But its unlikely.
This actually happened to me. I dreamed I was in an Indian market talking to my 'husband' about buying some cloth or sewing material. As the dream progressed and we were talking to another man, I must have started to wake up because I no longer understood him. I ran in my dream, and remember seeing a sign on a wall. It was written in one of the Indian dialects but it then changed to English. Then I woke up.
I am still looking for a connection in my family tree about this one, but there are other dreams that definitely point to Genetic Memory.
Dreams and Genetics.
The first dream that I had which made me feel that something more was going on began back when I was a teenager.
It was the strangest thing. I felt myself floating down a corridor which emerged into a 17th Century bedroom. There was a truckle bed to the left, and a old lady with a small child standing in front of a window.
As I floated I felt myself go into that old lady and I became her in that instant. I felt what she felt, and saw what she saw. I even drew a picture at the time as it was so strange.
I remember looking out at a crossroads and from each direction I could see Parliamentarian men and the Kings men heading towards each other. I felt fear, real fear as I knew that there was going to be a fight.
That dream has stayed with me all these years. Why on earth would I dream that? I do believe its one of two things.
Reincarnation or Genetic Memory.
Why not just a dream? Because it was so real! Anybody who has had a 'real' dream will know just what I mean. You can feel, see, hear smell and touch in those dreams. Seems simple to me.
Its happened to us or someone in our family before!
Not convinced? Let me tell you something about Your ancestors. There are quite a few!
Genealogy and Your Family.
When we think of our ancestors we tend to chose the ones that we know about. Grandparents. Great great grandparents. Uncle Sid on your fathers side. Auntie May on your mothers, and so on.
Oh no! Far too easy!
For starters there is you. Then your mother and father. Then Dads mother and father. And Moms mother and father.
Then each of theirs too. Two by four by eight by sixteen.........! Get it?
To think about it easily just imagine a black line going back in history which is the father's bloodline. And then thousands, yes thousands of women who are marrying into the family. Okay? Got it so far?
I recently discovered just how many there are! So far I have discovered over 200 ancestors and their families.
I am amazed and humbled by my ancestors. Some were quite well off, others were so poor they were in the workhouse. And then we have a family of Knights! But that's another story.
Maybe You Dream Of The Wild Wild West?
My father always loved America even though he had never been anywhere near there. He was fascinated by Buffalo Bill and Anne Oakley and so on. I have looked to see if any of our relatives went to live there, and was surprised to find a few had headed out to Canada many years ago!
I believe they came back a few times to visit our family. Of course this was many years before my dad was born, but maybe there was a slight genetic memory there?
Any how, what about you? Do you dream of Cowboys and the Wild West? Maybe your ancestors have something to tell you!
While researching this I came across these amazing old films. One is of Buffalo Bill and the other, Annie Oakley shooting it up!
Real live footage!
Buffalo Bill - William F. Cody 1908 Film Footage.
So what's the science behind Genetic Memory?
A while ago I was pondering the issue. Then it suddenly dawned on me! Adrenaline!
That was it! Adrenaline had to be the glue that stuck certain memories into our minds over the years, and maybe pass down to our family through the ages.
And then I looked up the theory online, and guess what? Yep, same conclusion!
That is what makes sense and explains why we don't remember everything about our ancestors or more to the point, their memories. Here's what the experts say about it.
Memories maybe passed down through family generations in the DNA in a process that can in fact be the cause of present day phobias.
And Memories can be passed down to following
generations through something called genetic switches
that will allow their children to inherit the experience of the ancestor!
My, You Have His Eyes!
Yes you do! And maybe his or her nose, followed by the way you walk and, well you get the point!
We take this for granted. So why not memories? Scary to think of, lets be honest! What if we dream we are in prison, or being thrown from a horse?
And of course there is the the problem of birth. Surely if we remember something from our great great grandmother and its been passed down in the genes, then surely the only memories we would have would be of those before the baby was born. Because you can't pass down a memory after the child is born. Or can you?
Remembering doesn't have to be genetic, or not completely. For example if the mother has an accident before the baby is born then the baby or babies own children may remember it. But what if it was after the birth?
I thought long and hard about this and came to the conclusion that if a child sees a parent in pain, then that child will have a surge of Adrenalin caused by panic and hurt seeing their parent in pain. So that child will grow up with that as a memory and pass that on to her children. So memories do not have to be from before the birth of the child it can be from family members, neighbors or just about anything going on around them. Got it? .
The idea of Genetic Memory has been around for a while in films and TV programs but these days it is really being taken seriously, and many scientists are looking at ways of researching and testing their theories.
Its an exciting time! Can you imagine falling asleep and dreaming an ancestors memory? What if your great great grandmother had been attacked by a wolf/bear/cat and had physical scars?
Would you dream that? Pretty scary eh?
But what of my dreams and what did I discover?
Roundhead's or Cavaliers?
- I was a 17th century oldish woman with a small child. I was looking out of a mullioned window. The Roundhead's and Cavaliers are heading my way. And I am pretty scared.
- In reality? My great great etc grandmother worked in Long Crendon back in those days, and this is it. Long Crendon Manor. (below)
- To read more on this story please go to A Dream of Cavaliers.
Maybe the Ancient Mariner?
- I was on a 17th/18th century Ship. I was a man climbing up the Yard arm of the ship. I could see my arms which were very muscular. And I was wearing baggy trousers and an open neck shirt.
- The reality?
- My great great grandfather and all his family were born up in Norfolk and at least one of them was in the Navy at the time. I have also always loved going out on the sea whenever I visit the coast. I am still trying to find out which ships they were on but its pretty obvious that they must have been similar to the photo below.
"all men are knights where women are concerned.” - George R.R.Martin
- This has to be my favorite! I grew up loving Castles. In fact one of my oldest memories was drawing a castle for school and the teacher putting it on the wall next to the other children's pictures of pin men and dogs. Every time I go on vacation I have to check out the castle nearby and go in search of the famous Knights of the time.
- The reality?
- So I wasn't surprised to find a fabulous historical ancestor by the name or names of The De La Beche family. These were a family of Knights who came over just after William the conqueror from Flanders! So far I have found the family connection but I think its not so much a blood line but a brother of my great great grandfather married into the family. My connection is through the Langford family. Still hoping its a direct blood line though! I will update when I get more information.
I believe the study of Genetics and memory are going to show us something awesome!
So where am I in my search?
Well I could go on, but the other dreams that have had a real impact on me have to be checked out first by continuing to follow my family tree and see where my ancestors lived, worked and loved.
its a fascinating journey. Both the dreams and the ancestry are really interesting and trying to fit it all together is really rather mind blowing!
It will be an interesting subject to follow if and when scientists do manage to find the secrets of our Genetic Memory.
Have You Ever Had An Genetic Memory Dream?See results without voting
Why not give it a try and see for yourself?
- Take a notebook to bed and if you have a dream that you believe is from your ancestors write it down as quickly as you can on waking.
- Start to do your family tree. FindMyPast is a great site, its brought thousands of family members to my tree. But there are plenty of other sites too. One of the best is free! Its called Familysearch.org. I tend to use both together to confirm a match.
- Write down any places that you visit that look familiar but you know you have never been there before.
- And last but not least, if you can't find a family connection, don't worry you may just be missing something. Some family tree links are still missing from all of the search sites. If you find even a tenuous link you could always get in touch with that local parish church or council.
- Past Lives Reincarnation- The True Story of The Chil...
True tales of children who believe they have lived before. Documented proof of reincarnation. Read on and you will never doubt again.
- A Dream of Cavaliers Reincarnation or Genetic Memory...
Reincarnation or past lives, have we lived before? Why don't we remember it? Maybe we do, our dreams open our mind to the past, and sometimes take us back to when we lived before. This is my story.
Sources and further reading.
© 2016 Nell Rose
More by this Author
The recent attack by spiders in India have got scientists puzzled. Did they really swarm and attack the villagers? Is it really a new deadly species that can leap up at the victim then hold on tight? A fascinating look...
Microscopic world. Includes how to use an Optical and Electron Microscope. And we take a look at the strangest creatures that share our Planet.
Thyroid disease A personal guide that will help you recognise each symptom and side effect that the Doctor doesn't know. From harmful tablets to seeing the illness in your face and body.