Get Through Any Disaster – What You Need To Know: Short Term Kit II
First Aid Kit
Although this kit is designed to go into your short term disaster supply kit, it can certainly serve a purpose long after the first three hectic days are over. You can purchase a first aid kit that is approved by an organization such as the Red Cross, or you can put together your own. Ensure that you have these items in it at an absolute minimum:
- Activated Charcoal and Syrup of Ipecac (to assist in cases of accidental poisoning)
- Adhesive sterile bandages in several sizes
- Adhesive tape that is specifically hypoallergenic
- Alcohol based hand disinfectant
- Antacid tablets
- Anti-diarrhea liquid
- Antiseptic liquid (not spray)
- Bandages in a triangular shape
- Body Thermometer
- Either Aspirin or alternative pain reliever
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Isopropyl Alcohol
- Latex gloves
- Needles, both long and short
- Petroleum jelly or other type of personal lubricant
- Premoistened towelettes
- Roller sterile bandages in two and three inch widths
- Safety pins in all sizes
- Sharp utility knife
- SPF 30 minimum liquid sunscreen
- Sterile gauze pads in two inch and four inch sizes.
- Tongue depressors or popsicle sticks
Various Supplies & Tools
All of these must be a part of your short term disaster supply kit. Yes, it seems like you'll need a full size pickup truck just to carry all this stuff, but you should make arrangements to get these items as compact as possible and work out a way to transport them satisfactorily. Any one missing item that you leave out because "it's too much" will likely be the item that you'll need most desperately and won't be able to find.
- Alcohol-based Disinfectant
- Aluminum foil
- Battery operated radio with extra batteries
- Cash and change (don't rely on ATM or credit cards)
- Emergency preparedness manual
- Fire extinguisher
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Hammer and nails
- Household chlorine bleach
- Liquid detergent (to act as soap)
- Map of the area (preferably topological)
- Matches in waterproof container
- Medicine dropper
- Mess kits or paper cups, plates and plastic utensils
- Needles with thread
- Non-electric can opener
- Paper & pencil
- Personal and Feminine hygiene items
- Plastic bucket with tight lid
- Plastic garbage bags, ties (for personal sanitation)
- Plastic sheeting
- Plastic storage containers (for sanitation uses)
- Shut-off wrench, to turn off household gas and water
- Signal flare
- Swiss Army Knife
- Toilet paper
- Utility knife
Clothing & Bedding
You will have to have at least one full change of clothing in your three day kit. Expect to wear your evacuation clothing for the first two days and then fully change and completely wash up on the morning of the third day.
- Rain gear
- Sleeping bags or blankets and pillows for each person
- Solid trail shoes or workboots with metal toes
- Thermal underwear (it gets cold at night even in the Southern USA)
- Water Resistant Hat
- If you have a baby or toddler, you should have your infant supplies such as diapers, formula, bottles, powdered milk and any medications
- For ill or senior adults, consider taking along denture needs, contact lenses or supplies, and an extra pair of eyeglasses. Naturally all medications must be included.
- Make sure you take along all valuable and important documents such as passports; social security/insurance cards; family records; immunization records; credit card and bank account information; wills, deeds, stocks and bonds; insurance policies and important contracts; and a list of valuable goods and important contact information. Keep in mind that you may never see your house again, and if you do it might not be anywhere near the condition you left it in.
More by this Author
A reliable, fun, street legal brand new 100cc Honda that gets 100 mpg and costs under $1,000? If Honda was smart enough to bring it from India to North America, they'd sell by the thousands!
The one and only real Braciola: a slice of prime, lean mega-pounded beef, filled with the most delectable mixture on Earth; rolled, browned and then simmered in sauce all day long! Yum!
This is the definitive guide to the fuel economy of the 250 top-selling motor scooters from 50cc to 800cc expressed in mpg and km/l.
No comments yet.