HSP Huygens Program
Preparing your file:
After receiving the official HSP Huygens nomination letter 2010 from the Dutch host institution, you can start preparing your application file. If the Dutch institution does not agree with your candidacy for a HSP Huygens Scholarship, they will not provide you with a HSP Huygens nomination letter. This means that you cannot apply for an HSP Huygens scholarship. In that case, please visit www.grantfinder.nl to explore other ways to fund your studies or research activities in the Netherlands.
Nuffic has prepared a list of the HSP contact persons at Dutch institutions. Please only email the contact person of the institution you applied for.
The complete application, both digital and on paper, must be received by Nuffic no later than 1 February 2010. Applications that have not been submitted both digitally and on paper or that are incomplete will not be accepted.
Preparing your application step-by-step:
Your HSP Huygens application must include:
* a signed printout of the digital application form (required document);
* your personal HSP Huygens nomination letter 2010 (required document);
* your curriculum vitae;
* copies of relevant diplomas, certificates and transcripts;
* a reasoned account of your motivation for wanting to study or do research in the Netherlands (about one side of an A4-sized sheet);
* two letters of reference;
* a copy of your passport or identity card.
Explanation of the required documents:
Do not include original documents in your file, but make single-sided copies of relevant documents on plain A4-sized paper. All documents must be either in English or Dutch. Documents in any other language must be accompanied by an official translation.
* The HSP Huygens nomination letter
The nomination letter is a standardized form used by the institution to provide Nuffic with some details about your unique attributes and your proposed programme of study. The nomination letter from the Dutch institution is a required document for your application for an HSP Huygens Scholarship. Without this nomination letter it is not possible to apply for the HSP Huygens Programme.
* Your motivation must include the following points:
- why you have chosen this study programme at this institution or why you have chosen to do the proposed research in the Netherlands;
- what value the programme would add to your previous education;
- what the Dutch programme would mean for your future career.
* The letters of reference should be on the institution’s official notepaper (headed paper) and must be signed and dated (a scanned version of your letters of references is acceptable). They must also include:
- your name;
- the name, position, institution and department of the referee (and their relationship to you);
- a description of your excellent academic ability.
Please note that students wishing to follow a professional programme in the fine arts or performing arts should not include a portfolio or samples of their work (e.g. photos or a CD) as these will not be assessed.
Completing your application:
If you have collected all required documents for your application, complete the digital application form through the Scholarships Online button. Once you have submitted the digital application, you can send your documents by post or courier.
Applications that have not been submitted both digitally and on paper or that are incomplete will not be accepted.
Scholarships Online (SOL):
Scholarships Online (SOL) is available as of 1 November. Please use the link below to access SOL. Please make sure you have read the instructions below.
To create your account, profile and finally your digital application, follow the step-by-step guide carefully:
1. Create an account by entering your email address in the required field.
2. Log in with the username and password you received in the email confirming your registration and follow the instructions to create your profile (through “edit profile”) and complete your digital application (through “new application”). Please note that some instructions are only shown when you hover over the field name with the cursor.
3. Once the application form is complete (not only the mandatory fields), check all the data you’ve added.
4. Through the “Submit/print application” button you access the print preview of your application form. By pressing the “submit” button you digitally submit your application.
5. Print out the application form (through “print application form”).
6. Sign the application form.
7. Go through the checklist to make sure you put the documents in the right order.
8. Write ‘HP’ for Huygens students, ‘PhD’ for PhD students or ‘NL’ for Neerlandistiek students (as applicable) in one of the corners of the envelope.
9. Send your application to:
HSP Huygens Programme
PO Box 29777
2502 LT The Hague
If you use a courier please send the application to the following address:
HSP Huygens Programme
2518 AX The Hague
Important note: your file will be kept in accordance with our file retention policy and disposed of responsibly when the retention period expires.
The most important criterion is top quality in all senses of the word. The Minister of Education has appointed Nuffic and the Huygens committee to assess quality. The Huygens committee advises Nuffic.
The assessment of your application is solely based on your application file. There are no selection interviews. All aspects of your application file are considered when your application is assessed. The committee considers the following aspects:
* your study history and pace;
* your diplomas and grades;
* your nomination letter;
* your letters of reference;
* the strength of your written motivation setting out why you have chosen this study programme in the Netherlands and the value it can add to your prior education;
* the importance of the Dutch programme for your future career;
* how well the proposed studies match your previous education;
* extracurricular activities.
Publication of selection results:
You will be informed about the decision of the selection committee as soon as possible after 1 May 2010. The results will first be published on our website. We will send all applicants an email with instructions on how to access this information. You will also receive a snail mail letter with the results of your application.
In addition to those directly awarded a scholarship, thirty reserve candidates are placed on a rank list. When selected candidates withdraw or if originally submitted budgets can be adjusted downwards, the funds that become available will be offered to these reserve candidates, starting with the highest ranked candidate. From our experience, many reserve candidates can still be awared a scholarship.
If you are selected, your host institution will, in most cases, help you by making arrangements for practical matters, such as accommodation, healthcare insurance and a residence permit application.
Application assessment protocol:
If you want to know more about the selection procedure you can download the HSP Huygens application assessment protocol.
For Full Information on this programme pls go t: http://www.nuffic.nl/international-students/scholarships/scholarships-administered-by-nuffic/hsp-huygens-programme