Parenting : Helping With the Homework and School Assignments
Helping With the Homework
Homework is an important part of a child’s learning process.It also is a great way to get involved and well informed regarding what is beingtaught in the classroom. Homework time can help students to go through andmemorize the materials once introduced or taught in school. Beyond that, evenmore important skills of responsibility, attention, perseverance,follow-through, and habit formation can be developed with a homework routine.
When parents are there for the children to help them withtheir homework, children are more likely to complete assignments successfully.How much help they require depends upon the age of your child, independencelevel, and her school performance. Whatever the age of your child, ifassignments are not getting done satisfactorily, more supervision is needed. Italso helps parents to understand their strengths and weaknesses.
How to solve Homework and What Parents Can Do About It
- Design both time and place conducive to concentration. Thereshould be a flat surface, good lighting and resources such as pens, pencils,rulers, scissors, glue, dictionary and notebook to hand. The place should bewhere the adult can monitor regularly.
- Provide protein-rich but low sugar snacks, along withrelaxation time. These shouldn't be too long. Keep water easily reachable.
- Set up a daily routine. Scheduled study time for homeworkshould be present.
- Provide different study areas for each sibling, to avoidnegative interaction and distractions.
- The basic rule is, "Don't do the assignments yourself."It's not your homework-it's your child's.
- Do not sit beside the child the whole time, which avoidsco-dependency. Be available whenever required. Explain how to look upinformation or find a word in a dictionary rather than simply giving an answerin order to get the task finished.
- Parents who reinforceindependent functioning raise kids who have more success in the greater world.
- Reward children for homework time. Provide instant andtangible rewards (stickers, checks, etc.)
- Ask your child to explain the homework task and how it isrelated to what he was studying at school.
- Turn off the television while the child is doing his homeworkbut do let your child listen to music if he finds it helpful.
- Discourage your child from copying when he's asked to doresearch tasks.
- Teach your childthat studying is more than just doing homework assignments.
- On days when a child declares no homework, parents caninvolve them in oral reading, writing or provide extra drill on an area ofneed.
- Set a good example for the child by getting involved inreading, writing, and doing things that require thought and effort on yourpart.
- Encourage activities that support learning--for example,educational games, library visits, walks in the neighborhood, trips to the zooor museums etc.
- Use home/school books to note how yourchild tackles the task, what is done well and where he has difficulties. Readcarefully any comments that your child's teacher makes in return.
- If you feel your child needs more help than you are able togive, do contact the school. Many schools offer an after-school homework clubstaffed by teachers or learning support assistants.
Types of Homework Helps
Kids are looking for homework help in following subjects maths,science, algebra, history , biology , physical science ,english , geography , trigonometry , chemistry , environmental science, social studies statistics etc.....
Role of Homeworks
Homework can bring together children, parents, and teachers in a common effort to improve student learning. Helping your child with homework is an opportunity to improve your child's chances of doing well in school and life. By helping your child with homework, you can help him learn important lessons about discipline and responsibility. Whether you succeed in helping the child with his homework is not what’s most important. What's most important is that you are willing to take the time and make the effort to be involved in your child's education.
More by this Author
Even professionals have had difficulty determining if a diamond is real or not. You can use a diamond tester to test the purity of diamonds
It cover the evolution of mobile communications from 1st generation to 5th generation .Now almost all the service providers as well as the customers seek for availing these 3G and 4G services.
There are many advantages of using baby walker. One is to be proud of giving a valuable gift to the babies and the baby will be happy inside it. So if we put the baby in walker then parents can do all the works without...
No comments yet.