How To Be Prepared For Natural Weather Disasters Part 6
- Stay away from all downed wires, including cable-TV connections. Assume they are live.
- If you can see damaged wires or you can smell hot, burning insulation, turn off the electricity at the source or main panel. If you would have to walk through water in order to reach the circuit-breaker box, stop and call an electrician.
- If you believe the sewage lines have been compromised, call a plumber and avoid using the toilet. If water pipes have been damaged, don't use the tap water. Call the water company. If flooding has occurred, watch out for reptiles, insects and other animals when you return home.
- The U.S. coastline is struck by about five damaging hurricanes every three years. Two of the five are typically major storms with winds greater than 111 miles per hour.
- Approximately 1,000 tornadoes are detected every year in the United States, causing an average of 42 deaths.
- The most destructive tornadoes have wind speeds of 250 miles per hour or more.
- Most tornadoes occur east of the Rockies in spring and summer. The states most at risk from tornadoes are Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Dakota and Texas.
- More than 80 percent of the time tornadoes form between noon and midnight.
- About 100,000 thunderstorms occur in the United States each year. A tornado develops from about one in 100 thunderstorms.
Personally I couldn't care less about what crazed scientist faked which little tiny bit of data in any UK email scandal, the bottom line is that climate change is here and only a fool would doubt it. I have travelled all over the world and continue to do so to this very day, and it is extremely clear to my own personal observation that places are changing before my eyes on each subsequent visit. Although it may not end up being a net and true "Global Warming" it is clear that the gyrations of the weather cycles have been fundamentally disturbed and every single place where I've been in the past couple of decades (and that includes the vast majority of the Earth's surface) is experiencing extremes in weather that have never been witnessed in human history.
With this climate change come far more frequent and far more vicious killer storms. They are not just limited to the USA Gulf Coast, but are literally presenting themselves everywhere around the world. I look around me at desert areas which are becoming rainforests; rainforests which are becoming deserts; hot areas that are cooling, cold areas that are warming. It is almost incredible to comprehend, but there is a semi desert valley in extreme southern central British Columbia, Canada, which in less than a decade from now is expected to be able to grow Mediterranean varieties of grapes! This level of absurd climatic metamorphosis is clearly a portent of severe changes to come!
The world is getting stormier and crazier by the day. We can expect greater and more damaging storms to become the norm rather than the exception to the rule. Take precautions and stay safe!
More by this Author
A quick guide to the galaxy of pasta shapes from Agnolotti (Baby Goats) to Ziti (Bridegrooms) and the more unusual ones like Strozzapreti (Stranglers Of The Priests)!
This is the definitive guide to the fuel economy of the 250 top-selling motor scooters from 50cc to 800cc expressed in mpg and km/l.
The one and only real Braciola: a slice of prime, lean mega-pounded beef, filled with the most delectable mixture on Earth; rolled, browned and then simmered in sauce all day long! Yum!
No comments yet.