How To Motivate Kids To Do Their Homework
School Daze Craze
- Whether you home-school or not, getting kids to buckle down and do their work at home can be very frustrating to parents. Realize it or not there is psychology for every child's reason for being unmotivated. If you can tap into the secret code lying within the child's personality you just may be able to create the environment that will enhance their ability to embrace the dreaded reality of homework and get it done without all the ruckus.
Identify your child's homework personality.
Procrastinator: Are they always coming up with excuses and distractions when doing their homework?
How to motivate:
- Work right beside them.Whether you are paying bills, writing in your journal, reading a magazine or sorting laundry, stay beside them and you will find there will be much less excuses.
- Give an incentive. If you schedule homework before fun-time they have something to anticipate so they are more apt to work much harder. Occasionally link a special award if you see your child is really trying and struggling, this will build more momentum.
Speed Demon : Does your child rush through their work often making careless mistakes?
How to slow them down?
- Mom and Dad can play student. Your child can teach you the lesson as if they were the teacher. Memory retention if boosted 90% if you teach someone else what you are learning. Cool huh?
- Allow multitasking. Speed demons are usually good at doing two things at once so if you let them listen to music or something they might enjoy themselves better won't feel so rushed to get it done. I guess it just takes a little of the boredom out of what already feels like an after school cloud over the sunshine.
Wanderer: Does your child sit down to do their work and then gets up real often ( bathroom, get a drink, snack awhile, watch video, go to the computer ect.)?
- How to make your child stay put and get it over with. Establish a designated study area that has everything they need where they don't have to get up. A quiet place with a drink, snack, plenty lighting, sharpened pencils and all that good stuff. Sometimes children just get frustrated when they don't have everything they need to get it done so they just find what they think is better things to do with their time.
- Set a timer. If your child still has trouble keeping their undivided attention on their work then set a timer and give them so long to do every few problems. Make a game out of it to keep it interesting.
Perfectionist : Some people have children that actually want everything too perfect. They spend way to much time picking their work and making sure everything is correct that they get frustrated that their homework is not getting done.
- How to calm their nerves and lesson their expectations. Give a time limit! Perfectionists need to know when to quit and let go. " Can you finish in an hour?" A little pressure might make them see they need to get it done. Don't discourage their desire to get the answers right, but try to build their confidence to where if it's not all perfect that they won't fall apart.
- Be a cheerleader parent. A perfectionist may need some bragging and encouraging. " You did awesome on your test." This will make them feel accepted, and when they fail teach them to bluff it off and try again.
I am a homeschooling mom so I have been studying my daughters personality ( I think she has more than one). As parents we sometimes just get so disgusted we lash out , belittle or compare them to other children. We are literally part of what shapes them to what they become in the great big world. We MUST get to know our child and accommodate their feelings, temperaments and needs with compassion, love, understanding and a strong, firm, sweet attitude that shows your the teacher,yet respects the fact that they are an aspiring intelligent pupil that works every day to reach for the stars.
Don't be discouraged these school days are like a flower in the spring, they are a season of life that builds what their tomorrow will become.
adventures in odyssey
More by this Author
The six mini meal a day diet plan has been a proven successful fast and healthy way to lose weight. As a matter of fact it is a great change of lifestyle plan as well. Dieting doesn't mean you have to die while you at...
A sister can be one of the closest friends you will ever have in a lifetime. Love her while you have her:.)
Dehydration occurs when the adequate floods the body requires are eliminated by a variety of causes. Dehydration Can Be Dangerous! Some people have no idea they are suffering dehydration.