How We Survived Toxic Black Mold Exposure
Educating People about Household Mold Symptoms and Effects of Toxic Mold
It has taken me 10 years to be able to actually sit down and write about my families experience with Toxic Black Mold. It was an experience that literally turned our lives up side down. I am writing my story because I am hoping to help someone who may be having health problems and don't know that they could be experiencing mold exposure. Also, I don't want you to feel like your are alone in this.
The thing about mold detection, is that black mold knows how to hide. So people could be getting exposed and not know it. We lived in a moldy house for years and didn't even know it!
Before I go into my story, I want to explain to you what toxic black mold is.
Toxic Mold | Airborne Mold | Stachybotrys
First of all please know that most household molds are safe. Every home has mold. It is a natural part of our environment. But there are molds which produce very harmful toxins are known as toxic molds. One airborne mold is called Stachybotrys. Once a mold becomes dry it become airborne. And once it gets in the air, people can breath it in and it can make them very ill.
The problem with Toxic mold is that generally most people do not know the symptoms of exposure nor do they understand the health and financially effects that such an exposure can causes. Which is why I want to share my experience.
Toxic Mold PicturesClick thumbnail to view full-size
What is making us so ill? Toxic Mould!
We were you average family of five. My husband and I have 3 gorgeous kids. They were 2, 4, and 7 years old. My husband and I both worked full time and I children were with daycare during the days.
Between late 2001 and 2002 it seemed like one of us was always sick. We were all constantly having flu like symptoms. You know feeling weak and lethargic. I was having horrible head aches and often felt like I could fall asleep standing up. The funny thing was, I only felt this way when I was at home. Once I left for work, I would feel normal within an hour or so. I now know that these are all effects of toxic mold.
My husband who was a non-smoker started having a constant cough that wouldn't go away. And he would have a nose bleed a few times a month.
My kids would each (at different times) wake up crying because their chins would hurt. I thought it was growing pains. So my husband and I would rub their legs and give them Tylenol. They each also had frequent nose bleeds. It really got ridiculous. I mean they were constantly sick. So my pediatrician tested them for lead paint and test were normal. The doctor was puzzled. What could be wrong with these kids. We knew it was something in the environment, because they felt great at the sitters. (You see, mold isn't like lead paint. It doesn't show up in your blood stream).
While we were trying to figure out what could be the problem, our neighbors who lived in the attached building told us that they were both having heath issues and found black mold covering items in their bedroom closet. They said they had it tested and it was black mold. They were concerned that since our houses were attached we might want to have some testing done. So we decided to go ahead and have a mold inspection done.
It was there and it was bad. The mold testing showed that we had mold hiding behind the walls in under are parquet floors, which was hidden by carpet. Who would have ever thought. We contacted our condo association as well as home owners and that is when the battle began. Without going into details, this mold devastated us mentally, physically, and in the ultimately financially. While we had wonderful toxic mold lawyer, our lives were turned upside down for years.
Toxic Mold Treatment - GET OUT!
We had to leave our home and move into an apartment. We left all of our possessions behind. You see air borne mold can get into porous furniture, clothing, toys, pretty much everything except glass and plastic. But those all had to be properly cleaned in order to take.
So we basically moved into an apartment with nothing. We paid a mortgage for a home that we couldn't live in while paying rent for a place to stay. It was a very stressful time financially. Mold cleanup is extremely costly. It actually totally destroyed us financially.
But this was about our health and keeping our kids safe.
The good news, is that the physical symptoms went away almost within days. We all felt great and had wonderful energy. We felt healthy. However, it has taken me years to begin to regain my short term memory problems and my children has some slight neurological problems for the first 3 years.
I am hoping someone who is having toxic mold symptoms will come across this article and decide to have their home tested. If you or anyone you know has been exposed to toxic black mold there is lots of help out their for you. (Not like 10 years ago). There are attorneys who specialize in Toxic Mold. There are many toxic mold remediation companies who can test your home and help with black mold removal.
But most importantly there are lots of support groups for Toxic Mold Survivors.
More by this Author
Fear of dying is the biggest phobia that people have because when you have a fear of dying phobia you are really scared of the unknown. This article shares with you how I have been able to overcome my personal fear of...