How to Get Rid of Crickets Inside Your House
How to Get Rid of Crickets
If you have a large number of crickets in your house, they can become a real pest and you want to get rid of them. For others they are a sign of good luck. In China and Japan, they are kept as pets, because of this.
I'll never forget the first time I killed a cricket in my sister's house. She believed a cricket brought good luck. Of course, I didn't know that. Her anger wasn't kept to herself. I never killed a cricket there again.
I enjoy the sound of crickets outdoors in the summer months. The sound brings me a sense of serenity. But crickets making noise all night inside the house is enough to drive anyone crazy if they keep you awake half the night.
Female crickets lay around 200 eggs at a time, but they take a year to hatch. It can be hard to get rid of them, if you don't know the secrets. I'll give you some tips here to help you obliterate the critters.
Will Crickets Cause any Damage?
Not only can their chirping be maddening, but crickets will eat wool, linen, silk, and cotton. Your clothing can be damaged and wool rugs and anything else in your house that is made of natural fibers. They will damage wall coverings and wood. Anything constructed of plant materials is in danger.
A Safe Product to Get Rid of Crickets
How to Get Rid of Crickets the Organic Way
My younger sister got paid a penny for each cricket she caught at my Grandpa's house. I'm sure she didn't get rich that way, but she made Grandpa happy.
Tips to Get Rid of Crickets
- Recruit a child to catch the crickets, like my Grandpa did. The kids think this is fun. Have them put them in a jar. If they want to have them for pets for awhile, let them. Just be sure they don't let the crickets loose.
- You can use boric acid. This is a good solution unless you have small children or pets.
- Get a cat. Cat's love to catch crickets.
- Pet frogs and toads will eat the crickets, but I'd think they would be more bother than the crickets themselves.
- There is a product called Orange Guard that is made from plant extract. It is approved by the EPA and has safe ingredients.
- Try vacuuming the crickets. The vacuum cleaner will probably kill the insects, but check after you've finished. If they are alive, you may want to kill them. If you are really humane, place them a long way away from the house. I wouldn't feel sorry for the crickets though, because they are cannibals and will eat each other if they are hungry enough. They will also eat other crickets that aren't as strong as they are.
- Set out a jar with molasses in it. The crickets jump in and can't get back out.
- Sticky paper will catch the crickets.
If you have pets or young children, you don't want to use this option. Being around poisons isn't a good option for adults either.
- Call an exterminator. They will know just what to do to remove the bugs.
- Use an insecticide like Raid. This is never as safe as natural methods, but will work. Remember that Raid works by affecting the nervous system of the insect. Don't get any on your skin and don't breath any in. After spraying,you should leave the house for several hours. When you get back, open all the windows.
Prevention - Keep the Crickets out of the House
Check to see that the outside of your house is completely sealed. Houses settle and contract, so where there wasn't an opening last year, there may be this year. Be sure you check door and window gaskets. You should make sure your door is completely sealed. That may be how the crickets are entering. They often come in through the basement too. Are there any cracks in your foundation? Repair window screens.
Keep plants away from the house. Get rid of grass and weeds growing close to your home. Crickets will hide under rocks or anything you've left near the house, so remove them.
More by this Author
Many of our perennial flowers and shrubs are poisonous to dogs. Because these plants are toxic, we need to remove some from areas where the dogs play. View a list of plants that are toxic to dogs.
Visit the Sleeping Bear Dunes in the upper part of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan. It was voted the most beautiful place in the US.
Most people get age spots as they get older. Here you will find some home remedies to get rid of the spots.