How to Make a Comfortable Workspace for Your Homework
Importance Of Creating A Homework Nook
Most people work best when distractions are kept to a minimum.
- Distractions are one of the main reasons high school and post secondary students have trouble getting their homework done well and finished on time.
- Having a space that presents few distractions, contains enough space and light to work comfortably and provides the tools for the task are all important when choosing a space for homework completion.
Follow the tips below when choosing and designing a homework nook that will increase your academic success by making homework completion a more pleasant and efficient experience.
Creating A Space For Homework
1. Choose a Location with Minimal Distractions:
- A den or bedroom away from television and major human traffic is the best spot for a homework nook.
- A quiet area away from room mates or siblings presents fewer distractions.
- For younger children, a spot where mom or dad can easily check up on progress is also beneficial.
- Even a dining room table can be utilized if the work area is consistent. Supplies on a rolling cart which can be tucked away during dinner would be beneficial in this case.
- For younger children, this may be the ideal situation as mom and dad are often within ear shot to field questions and ensure their children remain on task.
2. Make sure it is Large Enough:
- The designated homework nook should be large enough for a desk holding a computer or laptop and supplies.
- Supplies on the desk might include pencils and pens in a holder as well as a file holder to organize homework assignments currently in progress.
- The space should also be large enough for shelving or a book case for reference material such as dictionaries and a thesaurus as well as texts for current subjects of study.
3. Have a Comfortable Chair:
- Ensure your chair is comfortable for long periods of sitting.
- A padded chair with wheels is handy for quickly reaching items on bookshelves or carts apart from your desk.
4. Keep Important Supplies Close:
- Writing utensils, erasers, rulers, markers, highlighters, staplers should be in an organizer on your desk.
- Filing baskets or file holders should be on your desk or bookshelf within easy reach.
- Current assignments like essays and projects should have their own file folders and be clearly labelled.
- A write and wipe calendar board is handy near your desk for a quick visual of your current work schedule and upcoming assignment due dates.
5. Keep Reference Texts Handy:
- A dictionary and thesaurus should be within easy reach in your bookshelf.
- School texts for current courses should also have a place within your bookshelf.
6. Make Sure to have Adequate Lighting:
- Adequate lighting is key to reducing eye strain and thus reducing fatigue.
- Natural lighting through a window is ideal but lamps, especially for evening work, are a necessary part of your homework nook.
7. Keep a Consistent Routine:
- Working at the same time each evening is ideal for getting the homework done well and consistently.
- Some prefer to complete their work immediately after school whereas others require a break to expend energy in order to refocus. Whichever personality type you are, develop a consistency to your work habits and try to complete homework at the same time every day.
8. Personalize Your Space:
- Add your own personal touch to your homework nook.
- Adding pictures, special utensil holders, walls painted your favorite color and other personal touches creates a comfortable work space that you feel happy working in.
- When you are happy and comfortable in a space, you are much more productive.
- Homework will get completed faster and more efficiently.
Shelving For Your Homework Nook
Location of Homework Space
Where is your homework space located?See results without voting
More by this Author
Helping a friend through the struggle of regaining self-esteem after failing an exam can be a daunting task. Success can be difficult and regaining the strength to persevere after failure can be hard. A number of...
Are you or a child suffering academically because of a poorly organized notebook. This guide will help to organize school materials in an efficient manner to help you or your child achieve maximum academic potential.
Biological perspective links the studies of biology and psychology. Physiological changes and genetics are believed to play a large role in the behaviors of humans and other animals. Biological perspective is the...