How to be Successful, Quotations and Comments
Some quotations and comments concerning the topic of success.
Although I am not a big fan of Woody Allen I think he made one of the best comments about life and success when he said “Eighty percent of success is showing up.” I would add to that my own observation that the other twenty percent might be to “fit in.” My own experience in life is that if you go to work or join a social organization you do tend to be accepted as a member of the group if you just show up fairly regularly. However, it probably helps if you make some effort to be part of the group. This is especially true when you want to become a member as an outsider wanting to be let in. The most prevalent example of this is when one is looking for a job.
Over the years I have read about the subject of how to interview, how to write a resume etc. I have also participated in groups and counseling on the subject. I think I can fairly sum it up by saying the aim is to make yourself appear as if you already belong to the organization. The first question that comes up is how to dress for an interview. Often one is told to dress like you would on the job. However, this is not always exactly true. Sometimes you would wear a suit to an interview but dress more casual on the job. The truth is, there is no formula. The way I see it is you want to dress so as to fit in. Before you ever interview, you want to know how to look like you already belong. Some people have gone so far as to park outside the building and watch the people going in. See how they dress.
The same philosophy applies to education. In general an employer does not care too much what your college major is. They are interested in what your major says about you. If you have a degree in history, will you fit in where everyone else has an accounting degree? Did you go to an Ivy League school and the people in the firm went to state Universities? The whole idea is that the gatekeepers. The people who interview you to get access to being part of the organization look to see if you belong. It might not be conscious but that is pretty much the case.
Some other quotations
If A is success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.
· Many people talk a good game but don’t accomplish much. I’m not sure if that is what he meant, but it fits.
“I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.
· At one point in my own life a friend who was a career counselor told me “you can’t be all things to all people.” It is a hard habit to kick.
“There is only one success, to be able to spend your life in your own way.” Christopher Morley (1890-1957)
“What’s money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.” Bob Dylan
· Some years ago I heard a woman talking about how her relatives did not like the fact that her father-in-law would only take on jobs that he found to be interesting to work on. Another person responded that he sounded like “a truly successful man.” I agree. If he was in a financial position to pick and choose his assignment, I think he should do so
“Real success is finding your lifework in the work you love. “ David McCullough (1933- )
· I am of the opinion that we all have talents or abilities that we are born with. I also believe these are God given. As such I think a person should be seeking ways to use those talents in order to find fulfillment in life.
“Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life.” Dr. David M. Burns
· I think if a person becomes over concerned with being perfect or afraid to be wrong, it tends to become inhibiting and they become afraid to do anything in fear of being wrong.
“Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value.” Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
· Yes, to be a worthwhile person is a better goal than to be a person with the material things we associate with success.
“Nobody cleared a path for themselves by giving up.” Alicia Bessette Simply from Scratch, 2010
· No matter how you define success for yourself it is necessary to be persistent and not to give up easily.
“You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don’t try” Beverly Sills (1929- )
“It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all. In which case you’ve failed by default.” J.K. Rowling
· These two quotes both say that one should not fear failure so much that they don’t even try in fear of failing because they are admitting failure by not trying.
I hope you have found these quotations about success and the hope of success to be interesting no matter how you would define success for yourself. It is, after all, a personal choice.
© 2012 Don A. Hoglund
More by this Author
- 21MIKE FINK:Half Horse-Half Alligator was his brag in a song a folk legend and real person and a ring-tailed roarer
Apparent bully,reckless and disagreeable. The makeup of a folk hero are often illogical.He was bigger than life.
- 10Heroes and Outlaws: folk hero in Folksong and Folklore Dick Turpin, John Hardy,Davy Crocket, folk heroes, highwaymen
Dick Turpin was an 18th Century highwayman and seems representative of the hero worship the English of the period gave to outlaws. and seems to me to be a part of a continuing legend of the outlaw.
African Americans have been conspicuously absent from histories of the west. They are not much represented in fiction either. Many people think they ere not there, but they were.