How to find the Vertex of a Parabola
A parabola is a curve which is given by a quadratic equation: y = ax2 + bx + c
Every parabola contains a vertex. A vertex is the maximum or minimum point on the curve, at which the gradient of the curve is zero. This article is a tutorial in how to find the coordinates of this vertex
How to Find the Vertex Coordinates
1. Write the parabola equation in the form: y = ax2 + bx + c (where a, b and c are constants)
2. Find the gradient of the parabola by differentiating the parabola equation:
y = ax2 + bx + c differentiates to give dy/dx = 2ax + b
3. Find the value of x which gives a gradient of zero:
dy/dx = 2ax +b = 0 when x = -b / 2a
4. Find the value of y which corresponds to this x, by putting x = -b / 2a back into the parabola equation:
y = a (-b / 2a)2 + b (-b / 2a) + c
= b2 / 4a - b2 / 2a + c
= -b2 / 4a +c
5. The co-ordinates of the vertex are therefore (-b / 2a, -b2 / 4a + c)
An example parabola is shown in the diagram.
1. The equation of this parabola is y = -2x2 - 4x + 6
2. The gradient is dy/dx = -4x - 4
3. The gradient is zero when x = -1
4. When x = -1, y = -2(-1)2 - 4(-1) + 6 = -2 + 4 + 6 = 8
5. The vertex coordinates are therefore (-1, 8)
This is the book I used throughout my degree. It provides a great grounding in college-level mathematics for anyone studying math or a physical science.
Maximum or Minimum?
One last question remains to be answered. How do we know whether the vertex we have found from the equation is a maximum or a minimum point?
There is a simple test, which can be performed as follows:
1. Take the equation for the gradient, dy/dx, and differentiate it again by x, to get d2y/dx2.
2. This quantity d2y/dx2 is the rate of change of the gradient.
If d2y/dx2 <0, then the gradient is decreasing as x increases. This means that the gradient of the parabola is positive on the left of the vertex and negative on the right. The vertex is a maximum.
If d2y/dx2 >0, then the gradient is increasing as x increases. This means that the gradient of the parabola is negative on the left of the vertex and positive on the right. The vertex is a minimum.
More by this Author
What is simple harmonic motion (SHM)? This article introduces the simple harmonic oscillator (SHO) and the equations governing its motion, as well as the applications of simple harmonic motion.
Knowing how to integrate y with respect to x using calculus will help you to solve math problems and physics problems. Geometrical problems and problems about moving objects can be solved by integrating y with respect...