How to make electricity
Tired of the electricity bill every month showing up in your mailbox? How would you like cheap electricity? Cheap electricity can be achieved if you learn how to make your own electricity because you won't be using the home electricity. Therefore, you will end up with cheap electricity.
There are actually many ways to generate electricity, ultimately achieving that cheap electricity bill that you have been hoping for. Just take a look at the information provided in this hub, and you could have cheap electricity. It may be exactly what you needed in these hard times.
Making cheap electricity easier to achieve comes the salt water and oxygen technique. As we all know, chemical energy stored in different substances can be converted into electricity. This ability is the foundation of all batteries. Each battery has two poles usually made of two different metals. Obviously, one pole is positive and the other pole is negative. Electrons travel from negative to positive with the assistance of a conductor such as a wire. Make sure the wire is covered in rubber outlining because injury could occur.
The flow of electrons through the conductor is called electricity and can potentially power light bulbs or electric motors if used properly. Getting enough power is the goal here. If you get enough power to operate the things that you use on a daily basis such as television or able to charge your phone, then you will be accomplishing what I like to call "cheap electricity".
Make cheap electricity from salt water and oxygen
Making electricity from water or any form of liquid for that matter could be potentially dangerous so take caution when applying these skills.
In this experiment, you will make a salt water battery, and see how good of an electrical charge it will offer you. The charge won't be enough to power a house of course, but it's a good way to waste time and learn something new. With it, you may be able to power small things such as magnets or small light bulbs (particularly flashlight bulbs).
Steps on building saltwater battery
Here are the steps to creating a saltwater battery. Follow these steps as it is listed.
- Fill your cup about 75 percent (or 3/4) with water and then add a teaspoon of salt to it.
- After that, add a teaspoon of vinegar, and a few drops of bleach.
- When you are finish adding the previous ingredients, put strips of two different types of metals. It could be copper and aluminum, unless you already have another idea of what to use. (Make sure the metals don't touch each other)
- Clip the metals to the alligator clips, but don't let the clips touch the liquid.
Material Needed to build saltwater battery
- Nonmetallic cup (Styrofoam, paper, or plastic)
- Salt, water, vinegar, and bleach
- A variety of metal strips or pieces:
Aluminum (aluminum foil)
Copper (Household electric wire or water pipe
Brass (brads or keys)
Iron (uncoated nails)
Zinc (galvanized nails)
Graphite (large mechanical pencil filter, artists graphite)
- Alligator clip leads (available at Radio Shack)
- DC Mini Buzzer (also available at Radio Shack)
- LCD clock (like the cheap stick-on clock or cheap child's watch)
- Homemade ammeter or commercial ammeter and voltmeter
Experiment 2: Make Cheap electricity with two candles
Was the first experiment so hard? Okay, well this one is going to be a lot easier, I promise. There isn't much that you need to make electricity from candles. I'm pretty sure everyone has purchased some form of candle before, so that's something that everyone knows about.
Something you should know though; the bigger the candles, the more electricity you will be able to generate.
The concept of electricity from candles is simple. The heat from a lit candle goes through the wires and ultimately creates electricity. Its that simple.
How to generate electricity from two candles
- First, you must take a nail and stick one into each candle. (make sure it doesn't go through the other side of the candle)
- Rub the surface of the magnet against the nail to magnetize it.
- Attach each lead to the nails in the candles
- Now connect the bulb the the free ends of the leads
- Light the candles and the heat will convert into electricity, lighting up your lightbulb
Material needed for this project
- 2 nails
- 2 candles
- small light bulb
- 2 leads with alligator clips and a magnet
How to make a Battery out of Fruit (Lime)
Get the 3 limes. Place copper strips and a zinc strip on the opposite side. Connect a copper wire to the copper strip of the first lime to the zinc strip of the second lime; then, connect a second copper wire to the copper strip of the second lime to the zinc strip of the third lime. Connect another wire to the copper strip of the third lime to the red lead of the tester of the third lime, and connect a wire to the zinc strip of the first lime to the black lead of the tester. Watch the needle move in the tester battery tester. Repeat the same procedure with apples, bananas, and one of each fruit.
- Copper Electrode
- Zinc Electrode
- Multi-meter capable of measuring low voltages
- Flashlight light bulb 1.2 Volts
- Screw Base or socket for light bulb
- Alligator clips
- Board for mounting the base and the bulb (not required, completely optional)
More by this Author
Serial killers come in all shapes and sizes. These two individuals—Mary Bell and Jesse Pomeroy happen to be children, murdering their victims without remorse or fear of consequences.
Sex is a beautiful thing. It allows people to join together and show their love for each other. Its a great thing. Its also a bad thing because some people use sex to supply their lustful needs and think its cool or...
Craig Price, the Warwick slasher, is one of America's youngest serial killers in history. He began killing people in his neighborhood in Warwick, Rhode Island at the age of 13. He was charged and convicted of 4 murders...