Shaping your child to be good at study
How to put the right elements of studies in your child
When I look back to my days at school and the 21st century school going children, I really wonder at times as how the basics of studies or rather “How to Study” have been abandoned and students are running around with a host of tools in order to get a quick success or more precisely, getting “More for less”, the 21st century maxim.
I am no expert on the subject but had a sound performance in school and college. How to Study can be understood with the help of some concepts and examples and we can see that many a times wrong approaches becomes counter productive. Many of the parents including me are worried about their kids’ studies and despite enormous worries and efforts things remain same, year after year. Let us see some of the commonsense approaches towards " How to Study".
· Self driven is the key to study
Unfortunately the most important success factor for studies, creating desire for studies is the most neglected and least practiced part in majority of homes. Out of impatience and pressures to manage “Home Work” we end up creating a strong dislike for studies in children. It becomes more of a thing to managed rather than orienting the mind towards getting deeper and deeper in the world of knowledge. The hectic routines of schools which include class room teaching, evaluation and home works more often than not ends up drying up the soft desire for studies. It becomes a necessary ritual for children which they come to understand as something necessary for existence and survival and can be done without liking it also.
The key is to understand the true role of parents and guardians in the formative years of a child. One needs to act like a gardener, providing all the necessary conditions but we end up becoming a master, passing commands and instructions. It is like instructing flower plants to produce one flower daily, may be at 10 o'clock! Just because we can communicate with our children does not mean that we understand their inner feelings. Worse still we are very poor in making efforts to understand their true inside feelings and the vagaries of the child's mind.
Perhaps it needs the same kind of passion and perseverance one shows in getting her or his love. We can compare this with the child’s study to drive the point home.
- First meeting, chance or design: The education is initiated to the child on a planned date or time and one needs all care and attention for this occasion so that the first experience goes well with the child. Well begun is half done. Many of you who remember their first date cannot forget the amount of thinking and planning undertaken to decide the venue and associated services to charm the date. We need a fraction of that in the initial years of a child's education and it will go a long way in putting the child on the right track i.e. evolution of self desire for studies.
- Regular Dating: The care with which we choose and organize dating venue, the communication, the preparations, the excitement and an assortment of things are needed at least in the spirit. Similar levels of diligence is required when we ask the child to study. It does require a good amount of thinking and bringing the child from a high of computer games to study table. It has to be in the form of soft landing on stair case. He cannot switch the mode in an spontaneous manner. It has to be filled with fun and learning. Such small investments for a couple of years may free you up from driving the child towards studies on a daily basis. The returns are quite high.
· Thinking and imagination is the key to good study practice
The most important aspect of how to study or rather the outcome of good practices is the development of thinking part and imagination which is able to connect patterns, trends, understand a situation. The early years are the key where we can encourage the kids to be inquisitive though it requires a great deal of passion and commitment. We need to encourage kids to read the text books rather than memorize a few lines from note books to do well in the weekly tests.
· Learning happens best in a social context
It is seen that households where parents love reading the child also starts copying that like so many other things he has done in his life. It will be unfair to ask the child to study and you watch a popular TV show. It makes things messy unless you make your child understand the rationale.
· Focus on value part of the entire process
Lean principles of value adding and waste are applicable when it comes to studies also. Another of my hub Lean Manufacturing Principles applicable in personal life gives some tips for value addition and waste concept as applied to How to study.
· Plan – Do – Check – Act practice will ensure right track
As the child grows he should develop the habit of planning and reflecting. Drawing out a plan itself will give a fair amount of idea as what is happening on study front. My hub Peace in life! Try Plan-DO-Check -Act gives further details.
We need to take a pause and think about our approach towards How to Study by applying some principles and trying to get some insight into the phenomena of How to Study. Its simple if approached correctly otherwise it is one of the most difficult things to achieve for our children or ourselves.
More by this Author
PDCA is the most fundamental management process being practiced consciously or unconsciously. A deliberate PDCA practice where Planning, doing and reflecting on results obtained vis a vis plans to refine the Plans goes...
Valerian roots appears to be the best herbal solution to insomania, anxiety and depression. Significant amount of research has been carried out only to validate the age old practice of people in certain parts of the...
The concept of value adding and non value adding, the key philosophy of Lean Manufacturing developed and mastered by Toyota can change your perspective in work and personal life
No comments yet.