What Is Human Rights Day On December 10?
What Is a Human Right? --
A right that is believed justifiably to belong to every human being. Rights are what we are allowed to be, to do, or to have because we are human.
Human Rights and Israeli Statehood 1948
Israel became a nation on May 14, 1948, post-World War II. This statehood gave the wandering Jews scattered across the face of the Earth a place to call home. Seven months later, the United Nations proclaimed the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on December 10, 1948.
Since WWI was the War to End All Wars, this declaration seemed a long time in development - and is still broken every day on Earth, in the Middle East and everywhere. Statehood of a nation and a Declaration did not eradicate the global abuse of human rights.
I hope that both events have honored the memories of the Jews, Blacks, and LGBTQ persons that were abused, mutilated, and killed in the Holocaust (and afterward persecuted during the Cold War in America). They were all humans.
Whereas recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world...
Minorities In the Holocaust
Jews, Blacks, and LGBTQ persons -- All three groups suffered, although it is the Jewish people that made the largest and most highlighted group in classrooms later; and Blacks make up the least highlighted in classrooms until the 1970s. Blacks have not been as systematically eliminated as were the Jews, but they have been eliminated from some communities in the recent past as well as during WWII.
All three groups were declared non-human on some level by the Third Reich.
Today, Aboriginals on all continents are considered, by some portion of the "majority" populations, as non-human. In my view, all maltreatment is part of one large continuing Holocaust.
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Human Rights Explained In 2 Minutes
Today, humanity is abused somewhere on nearly every continent.
- In North Korea, the general populace is forced to limit food intake to just one meager meal of almost inedible refuse per day. They make a gruel from ground up corn cobs, for example, often mixed with roots that are actually poisonous and cause blindness. Some residents run away to Northern China. Other citizens join the military of this nation that many feel is terrorist, solely in order to be able to eat. What must they do to others in order to remain in the military? Atrocities are listed in The Ginseng Hunter.
- In Somalia, men, women, and children that declare themselves Christians are answered with the cutting off of their arms and enslavement.
- South Sudan broke away from Sudan to form its own nation and escape abuses.
- In Abu Graib, a microscopic minority of the assigned US military personnel orchestrated illegal and inhuman abuse and foolishness against Middle Easterners [Documentary].
- In China, persons that are discovered to be Christians are forced into unpaid slavery to make our tiny twinkling Christmas light strings by hand without tools for 14 hours per day.
- In USA,bullying in some schools goes unaddressed and children and youth die because of it, either by murder or by suicide. My friend Sean H. Robertson (Detroit 187) donates proceeds from his books to the Suicide Prevention Hot Line so that it may continue help youth that run to thoughts of suicide because of bullying, eating disorders, harassment over LGBTQ identity, and many other issues.
- Improving its law enforcement activities since the data emerged earlier in 2010, Toledo Ohio has been in the number one slot for human trafficking worldwide, because criminals in the city gathered and provided the largest numbers of human fodder to other global cities [Toledo information].
- Ethnic and Faith-difference issues still abound in some countries, leading to violence, and erupt in civil wars..
- Hostile Work Environment - How to Handle the Office Bully and Financial, Verbal, Emotional, and Phy
Al types of bullying can occur in the workplace. Be aware of what may happen to you or your children at work, and help to spread the word. Some US States are considering Anti-Workplace Bullying laws.
- North Korea Attacks and Relations with South Korea, America and China
After 2010, no individual country or UN sanctions seemed to have any impact on the North Korean government's mission to develop a nuclear missile capable of striking the USA.
- Standard Operating Procedure (2008) - Abu Graib Documentary
Directed by Errol Morris. With Christopher Bradley, Sarah Denning, Robin Dill, Joshua Feinman.
Resources for Celebrating Human Rights Day
Rights For All
- H.O.W. to Recognize and Prevent Child Abuse
In order to prevent or stop child abuse, first one must know what it looks like. Here are lists of symptoms of some of the most insidious types of child abuse.
- The Bully, Emotions and Abuse: Are Humans Naturally Violent?
The concept of "fight-or-flight" offers some interesting and effective alternatives to running and fisticuffs. We can stand up to bullying without fighting.
- The Holocaust Continues - Former and Current Abuses of Human Rights
On May Day 2011, shortly before 11:00pm EDT, NBC television network broadcast news that Osama bin Laden was dead. I had been listening to the testimonies of Holocaust Survivors and switched to NBC during a commercial. Regardless of whether bin...
Apply Your Voice
Please list in the Comments section below, any programs and projects you know that improve Human Rights anywhere in the world and any situations of infraction that need to be addressed. Tell us how you celebrate Human Rights Day.
Please remember Human Rights not only on December 10, but every day.
© 2010 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
In the latest evaluation of top nursing schools in the country, the complex provided at the University of California - San Francisco (UCSF) appears on several Top 10 Lists in nursing specialties.
When does the curiosity about our surroundings in childhood cross the line into a medical disorder? Some adults may be craving non-food items as well.
Since 2010, news from BLOOMBERG BUSINESSWEEK has been that Canada and Australia were little touched by The Great Recession. New jobs continue to increase.