Interesting Food Facts And Trivia
Lemon Powered Light Bulb
Fun Food Facts
Finding humor in our daily tasks can make the difference between a boring day and a day full of fun and vigor. Since I am from America, it only makes sense to find funny facts about food, right? The USA is the greatest consumer of food stuffs in the world, and some of that stuff is pretty darn weird! Let's get started.
25 Fun, Weird, And Interesting Food Facts
1. If you can't find batteries for your flashlight, it's good to know that lemons can power light bulbs.
2. A less famous character for sure, but a mushroom has been named after Sponge Bob Squarepants.
3. Searching for just the right art-centric career? Well, maybe a move to Mexico would help. Some artists there bake tortillas and use them as canvas for paintings.
4. Weighing in just under that of about 300 apples—up to 110 pounds, or 50 kg— the Jackfruit is the largest fruit to grow on a tree.
5. Craving green tea ice cream flavored Oreo cookies? You can actually buy a bag if you find yourself in China!
Hen Egg vs Ostrich Egg
Food Trivia Quiz
6. One ostrich egg amounts to about two dozen chicken eggs. That would make one amazing omelet!
7. Oh, and while we are thinking about eggs, chickens that sport white earlobes lay only white eggs; those with red earlobes will lay brown eggs.
8. At a county fair in California, USA, you can purchase deep-fried Kool-Aid.
9. After enjoying that fried Kool-Aid, be sure to stop by a California—or New York—cupcake ATM. You can buy the tiny auto-teller cakes 24/7 in these American states.
10. If you wish to conserve water these days, you may consider avoiding hamburgers in doing your part. You see, it takes more than 450 gallons of water—around 1,741 L—to make a single hamburger.
11. Some fruit drinks achieve their vibrant red tone by extracting elements from the cochineal bug.
12. In the United States there is a "ski-up" Starbucks located at a well known ski resort.
13. In the good-old days, folks would break off a chunk of Willow Bark to chew as a pain reliever. These days, you have to buy your Willow Bark in the form of a pill or liquid. You know it today as "aspirin".
14. Another product derived from the good-old days is peanut butter. It was originally developed as a great source of protein for those people who had lost their teeth.
15. As long as we are discussing peanuts, you may find it interesting to learn that it requires about 550 peanuts to make a single 12-ounce jar of peanut butter. They are not kidding when they say it is packed full of flavor! Now I want a PB&J, and maybe a deep fried kool-aid side!
16. This is for the pizza lovers around the world. Some pizza crusts are made using the extracts from human hair. Makes finding that long blond tuft in your pepperoni pie a little easier to deal with doesn't it...or does it? (Yuck, either way!)
17. Technically we should be referring to this healthy tropical edible as a seed, rather than a nut. The coconut is in fact a tree seed and not a nut at all.
18. You can buy sweet candy suckers that contain real 24-karat gold flecks inside. Would this count as a rich treat?
19. Most cherry trees grow enough fruit each year to fill almost 30 delicious cherry pies.
20. The disorder of acid reflux is a very serious condition, especially when you consider that the acid made in the human stomach is strong enough to dissolve metal.
What You Think Really Does Matter!
Would you eat caterpillars for their protein?See results without voting
21. It is a very strange thing, but many astronauts will crave Tabasco sauce when in space.
22. In a pinch, a block of cheese serves well to feed a hungry family. Maybe this is why cheese remains the number one stolen food in the world.
23. Pull out the old 1960s gear to check out this fact! Bananas glow a very cool shade of blue under a black light.
24. Kind of gross but worth knowing; some species of caterpillar meat has more protein—ounce per ounce—than lean red beef.
25. When that Blueberry Slurpy drives a spike through the top of your skull, quickly press your tongue to the roof of your mouth to relieve the pain of that brain freeze!
Food Facts Wrapped Up
Now that we are done playing with all manner of food, I hope you will commit a few of these weird food facts to memory. You never know when you will get talked into playing a trivia game all about the edible side of life. Cheers!
More by this Author
Real women pirates from history, facts not fiction! Find out who they were and how they kept their secret aboard the pirate ships they served.
You will find a ton of facts about the black widow spider. Is the male spider poisonous? How come a bite can kill you? How to handle first aid after a bite, and of course how to kill this eight-legged freak! Tips for...
The most common people foods are the most deadly to your dog. This list surprises even the most knowledgeable of dog people.