Houston is USA's Top Job Creator
Johnson Space Center, Houston TX
Houston Solved the Problem of Jobs
Houston has been home to NASA's Johnson Space Center, the American Space Program, and International Space Exploration since the beginning of the Cold War Space Race to the Moon.
From 2010 - 2012, the end of the American Space Shuttle Program was on the horizon, with no replacement in sight. The US Space Shuttle Mission ended 30 years of work on July 8, 2011, with the next phase of Lunar Exploration, the Constellation Program, cancelled by the 2008 - 2012 White House. Privatized Space Flight was suggested by the Administration as a stop-gap, while NASA would partner with new organizations and the private sector for Mission to Mars.
At Cape Canaveral on 06/21/2010, John Glenn (92 years old in July 2013 and teaching at The Ohio State University) stated that he wanted the Space Shuttles to fly until a replacement was ready to take over, regardless of time needed. He and other veterans of the Space Program feel that America cannot be left without a space shuttle. Many former astronauts, including the Apollo 11 crew, have agreed.
At the same time, privatized space flight is beginning to offer new jobs. During May - June 2013, over 154,000 jobs were advertised in the Houston market, more than in 2010 and 2011. In July 2011, twice as many job listings were open when compared with July 2009, many in Engineering and Information Technology.
Aerospace Industry Ready for Citizen Scientists
- US Space History: Exploration Opens to Teachers, Students and the Public
Brent Spiner, Lt. Commander Data from the popular Star Trek saga, and others have joined a leading Space Mining company to guide the American public into participation in space exploration.
NASA in the 20th and 21st Centuries
US Space Program Continues
- Google and James Cameron Entered the Space Mining Bu...
We have lift off of privatized space flight. Partnerships between NASA and private designers, astronaut trainers, and manufactures overlapped the end of the US Space Shuttle Program by at least a year, with astonishing results.
- NASA's Partnerships with the Private Sector and the ...
NASA took a proactive stance toward partnerships with the private sector for future space exploration and commercial aerospace enterprises long before the final US Space Shuttle launch during Independence Week in July 2011. Almost before the...
Final Launch: STS 135
Houston Space Center, Apollo Era ExhibitClick thumbnail to view full-size
Houston Is Located Near Growing Latin Markets
Houston is rather close to Latin America - Mexico, Central America, and South America. The city remained strong in energy prodcution during the Great Recession as well. From 2008 through 2010, over 100 foreign-owned companies (including Latin) relocated to Houston, expanded in the city, or started new enterprises in Houston.
Fast Growing Jobs in Houston: Jobs Doubled 2012 - 2013
Healthcare and Governments are generally the largest employers and recruiters of employees in the Greater Houston Metro Area.
In fact, the Texas Workforce Commission reports that Houston is growing faster in new jobs that the rest of the state of Texas, along with San Antonio. With decreasing unemployment rates in the 21st century, Houston is also a provider of greater number of jobs to those workers that are unemployed.
Simply put, there are more jobs from which to choose and less competition. New commercial complexes in Houston offer an abundance of high-demand jobs and these center include projects such as the latest $75 million office complex in western Houston.
Healthcare services are recruiting Nurses (LPNs and RNs, including Travel Nurses; Health Aides, Medical and Physician's Assistants, and various Therapists and their assistants.
Professional occupations are in high demand in Houston as well, including attorneys and physicians.
Finally, service oriented jobs are on the rise and demanding increasingly more workers as the population and new jobs increase. These positions include food service employees, housekeepers, and janitorial staff.
NASA job and Life Links
Job Listings Increased 2010 - 2015
Top High Demand Aerospace Jobs 2015 - 2016
- Project Engineers
- Automotive Technical Product Specialists - Also includes trucks and other vehicles used in aerospace and defense.
- Field Engineers
- Manufacturing Engineers
- Quality Control Engineers
- Mechanical Design Engineers
- Reliability Engineers
- Robotics Engineers
- Engineers and Technicians
- Engineering Supervisors
NASA is Among 80 Aerospace Companies in Houston
Job Listings, All Internet Sources
Advertised employment listings for Houston:
- May 2015 -- 80,000 jobs. Advertised openings began to increase after a decline in early 2014.
- May 2013 -- 154,000 jobs
- May 2012 -- 73,000 jobs
- May 2011 -- 72,000 jobs
- May 2009 -- 36,000 jobs
IT jobs and Engineering are on the upswing.
- Project Managers - IT
- Physical and Occupational Therapists
- Automotive Technicians
- Software Engineers
- Checmical Analysts
- Mechanical Engineers
- Project Engineers - IT
- Process Engineers
- Business Analysts
- Electrical Engineers
- General Managers - several industries, incude retail and dining
- Truck Drivers
- Registered Nurses, including Travel Nurses
- Account Executives
- Healthcare Technicians
Top 20 Hot Job Predictions to 2018
The higest percentage of job growth in the Houston and Gulf Coast region of Texas are among an intesting list that is different from the rest of Texas and the US. One third of the fastest growing jobs are expected in occur in Education. Jobs increasing most rapidly through 2018 include:
1. Certified Nursing Assistants/Patient Care Technicians or Home Health Aides
2. Network Systems & Data Communications Analysts - IT
3. Petroleum Engineers
4. Special Education Teachers - Middle School
5. Special Education Teachers - Preschool, K-5
6. Electrical & Electronics Repairers
7. Mainstream Elementary School Teachers
8. Mainstream Middle School Teachers
9. Physician(‘s) Assistants
10.Mainstream Kindergarten Teachers
11.Special Education Teachers - Secondary School
12.Personal & Home Care Aides
15.Physical Therapist Aides
16.Skin Care Specialists – Non-medical; often work in medical practices
18.Mainstream Secondary School Teachers
19.Vocational Education Teachers - Secondary School
20.Cardiovascular Technologists & Technicians
The following list contains Houston companies that are 1) the employers of the largest labor pools, but also 2) the earners of the highest revenues for 2008.
This list and potential honorees were analyzed and compiled by the Hearst newspaper, The Houston Chronicle in its famous Chronicle 100, performed yearly.
- National Oilwell Varco – A conglomerate oil producer.
- Transocean – Offshore drilling.
- McDermott International – Energy.
- Anadarko Petroleum Co.
- Chicago Bridge & Iron, since 1885.
- Noble Corp. – Offshore drilling.
- Cameron – Oil and gas.
- FMC Technologies – Oil and Gas.
- Service Corporation International – Memorials and Crematoriums. Targeting the Hispanic and Asian markets more fully.
- Schlumberger – Oil field services. the largest such service globally in 2008.
Jobs in the Houston Area
Sustainability and Jobs
Sports in Houston
Marketing, sales, player, coach, medical-related, clerical, IT, and even concessions and management opportunities may be found in connection with Houston professional sports teams at the following links.
Additional jobs are often available in the high school systems in and around Houston as well. The popular sports teams of the Houston Area also offer a lot of exciting entertainment.
Native American Businesses
- The Bead Shop
- Budget Promotion Inc
- East West Food Store
- J Silver
- White Buffalo
- Zapotec Art-A Southwest Gallery
Places to Visit
- American Indian Genocide Museum - 3004 Bagby, Houston. 713-928-2440
- Houston Museum of Natural Science - One Hermann Circle Dr., Houston 77030. (713) 639-4601
- The Menil Collection - 1515 Sul Ross, Houston TX 77006
Sam Houston & Native America
- Sam Houston State University
The history of Sam Houston and his work with his adoptive father who coined the term "Native American", Chief Oo-loo-te-ka, is housed at this site. Sam Houston wrote: "...I will punish any man who does injustice to the Indians," he wrote in 1843.
Colleges and Universities in the Houston Area
- Rice University
- The University of Houston - University Park, Clear Lake, Downtown, Victoria.
- Texas Southern University
- Houston Baptist University
- The University of ST. Thomas
- Sam Houston State University
- Texas A & M University
- Texas Medical Center
- UT-Houston's Health Science Center
- Baylor College of Medicine
- The University of Texas-Houston Health Science Center, Dental Branch, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Medical School, School of Allied Health Sciences, School of Nursing, School of Public Health; The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
- Texas A & M University's Institute of Biosciences and Technology
- Prairie View A & M University College of Nursing
- Texas Woman's University
- Houston Community College System
- North Harris Montgomery Community Colleges: North Harris College, Kingwood College, Tomball College, Montgomery College
- The San Jacinto College District
History of Space Flight, HoustonClick thumbnail to view full-size
Apollo 11 Anniversary and History
© 2008 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
The US government, USAF staff & Ufologists paint Area 51 in several layers of truth. I've spoken to Project Blue Book in the past, but learned recently about "inactive" USAF bases at Area 51...
Space Taxi Pilots are gaining traction in demand and other pilots are active in Emergency Medicine. China needs many pilots and we are training them in USA!
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...