Colorful Ketchikan, Alaska: The Salmon Capital of the World and Alaska's First City
Very Colorful, Indeed!
A VERY Nice Place to Visit!!
Up until a few days ago, I had never even heard of Ketchikan, Alaska, but now I can't get enough of it. I have put this hub together with some of the most interesting facts about this quaint town, along with some great photographs.
- If you get to vacation in Alaska, (more specifically Ketchikan) don't miss the Totem Heritage Center where you will see Totem Poles on display that have been retrieved from uninhabited Tlingit and Haida village sites near Ketchikan, according to the information provided by the center. I have included a photo within this article of some of the Totem Poles you will see there. They are very impressive indeed.
- The Deer Mountain Tribal Hatchery and Eagle Center is another place you won't want to miss. This is a center whose main purpose is to look at Alaska’s salmon hatchery program, along with the showcase of raptors and other birds that have been rescued and are currently being rehabilitated.
- The Saxman Native Village, which is located just South of Ketchikan, will introduce you to traditions of the Tlingit culture, and there are two parks for visitors to see who want to know more about the culture of the native people - Potlatch Park and the Totem Bight State Park.
- You will learn a great deal about the timber operations in Ketchikan at the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary as you walk through the shoreline and rainforest area.
- And, don't miss the George Inlet Cannery tour where you will learn about the fishing industry of the area and see displays of equipment used in the industry over 70 years ago.
Totem Bight State Park
Ketchikan Totem Poles
Oh, And the Scenery Is Pretty Nice Too!
Check out these scenic beauties:
- Misty Fiords National Monument - This monument is accessible only by float plane or boat from Ketchikan, but if you are thrilled at the prospect of seeing sea lions, killer whales, porpoises, brown and black bear and mountain goats, all of which are often sighted in this area, the trip will be worth it.
- Prince of Wales Island - You can probably count on seeing some black bears and grizzlies on this island, and you most certainly will see some majestic bald eagles perched on various places. I don't think you could find a better place for a hunting and fishing vacation than Prince of Wales Island.
The Misty Fjords National Monument and Park
Prince of Wales Island
Unbelievable Totem Poles on Display at the Totem Heritage Center
Wildlife Is Not the Only Beautiful Thing in Ketchikan!
Planning to Vacation in Ketchikan?
More by this Author
- 0Chemical Symbols on the Periodic Table of the Elements: A Multiple-Choice Quiz for Students and Homeschoolers
This is a Hubpages free multiple-choice quiz on the chemical symbols on the Periodic Table of the Elements. Homeschoolers, high school students and trivia buffs should find this quiz helpful.
- 0Psychology of Stress and Health: A Multiple-Choice Quiz for Students and Homeschoolers Preparing for College
This is a multiple-choice quiz on psychology as it relates to stress and health. It is designed as a study guide for high school students who are planning to continue their education in college.
This is a how-to article on growing camellia flowers from cuttings. If you have a beautiful camellia plant, you can actually "clone" it!