Leonardo Da Vinci's Early Resume
Whenever you look into the background of many celebrities, before they were famous and renowned, sometimes you can see their talent in the rough, sometimes not. Take The Beatles, their 1962 Decca record auditions were their last ditch attempt to get a record deal. Their manager, Brian Epstein, was absolutely he had discovered a band that would be much bigger than Elvis. While that was the Beatles dream since teenagers, in reality, success was not a word they encountered much except when playing in the sex district of Hamburg, Germany. The recordings proved horrible. Paul, tried to emulate his idol, Elvis, with an original song, Like Dreamers Do. While John's raspy voice showed promise, his song, Hello Little Girl, was simply horrid in lyrics and execution. It is hard to believe that they would ever be famous. They left the sessions quite depressed, knowing their dreams of fame were gone. Decca turned them down. Yet, someone in the A&R department in Decca, saw the chemistry of the band as a group. Even then, they had appeal. They were referred to audition for EMI and a man that became the "5th Beatle", producer, George Martin.
Of course, many famous actors of film have their own stories about before fame. Brad Pitt got in his beat up car and pursued his dream of being an actor in the late 1980's. He only had a few hundred bucks when he arrived in LA. Worked shit jobs to make a living while going to audition after audition. It was his very brief role in "Thelma and Louise" movie that got him noticed a little, enough for more bit parts in movies and TV shows as a cute teen heart throb. Now, he makes $20,000,000 a movie.
Leonardo Da Vinci was not always famous. Like others, he had to sell himself to the rich of his day-namely kings, prince's and other renowned leaders. He did this like we do today with his resume. The translation reads as follows:
"Most Illustrious Lord, Having now sufficiently considered the specimens of all those who proclaim themselves skilled contrivers of instruments of war, and that the invention and operation of the said instruments are nothing different from those in common use: I shall endeavor, without prejudice to any one else, to explain myself to your Excellency, showing your Lordship my secret, and then offering them to your best pleasure and approbation to work with effect at opportune moments on all those things which, in part, shall be briefly noted below.
- I have created portable light bridges that can be deployed quickly and have made such bridges that cannot be burned easily.
- I have created a method to remove the water from moats or water barriers when conducting a siege.
- If the fort being attacked is strongly defended and made of stone, I have created weapons that will destroy and bombard the fortress with boulders and rocks.
- I have invented portable mortars that can fling small stones almost resembling a storm; the weapons can throw smoke that cause great terror to the enemy and confusion.
- If the battle is at sea, I have many machines for offense and defense with the largest guns and powder and fumes.
- I have designed armored chariots that are immune to enemy artillery fire from spears, rocks and projectiles. This allows for infantry to follow in an attack safely and speed. overwhelming the enemy.
- Should bombardment fails, I have built catapults, mangonels, trabocchi, and other machines. These are new weapons. I can design numerous offensive and defensive measures for military operations.
- In times of peace, I believe I can give perfect satisfaction to you in architecture and the composition of buildings public and private, and in irrigation projects for water projects.
- I am skilled in sculpture of marble, bronze, or clay, and also I can do in painting whatever may be done.
And if any of the above-named things seem to anyone to be impossible or not feasible, I am most ready to make the experiment in your park, or in whatever place may please your Excellency - to whom I comment myself with the utmost humility".
His resume sold himself and what he could offer and do for the gig he was applying for. Notice that he never mentions past accomplishments, which he had many. This is opposite of what most resume's do today- recite education, and past jobs and accomplishments.
So, as you fine tune your resume, think of Leonardo!
More by this Author
In the final days of the three year Greek-Turkish war, the death throes fell upon the Greek Army just as it did to the Germans at Falaise in 1944. What had started with the help of Britain, France and...
Drumbeat, at least in theory, had been planned as far back as 1897. Germany had always been fascinated with attacking America, a land insulated and buffered by two oceans. There was a desire to “break” this...
Join this long list of consumer problems and complaints about this car. Most o the problems are on models pre-2009. Many sad stories.
No comments yet.