Life 101- Delays
Of Hang-ups, Laziness and Tardiness
Three factors affect one's plans of being on time, thereby causing delays of any kind of transactions, whether its business of personal.
- Hang-ups mean obstacles to smooth progress or development. It is more of inhibition.
- Laziness means couch potato, having the ability to do so but one doesn't mind or budge to quickly accomplish,let's say, a report or a task that should be done for a day.
- Tardiness means laziness, slow, sluggish or habitual mannerism which is annoying to others, especially in school or in the workplace.
When these negative attitudes mix, an explosive reaction called DELAYS can halt a nation's progress, a personal plan and even a family gathering, as to cite examples.
Why Talk about Delays?
DELAYS in public works (the thumping , grinding and noisy road interludes) cause so much TRAFFIC, which is also a kind of delay.
Delays can hamper business transactions that are important in nation-building and also for family's enterprise.
Irksome moments in personal dating are results of delays.
Negative effects hover over such situations that can influence bad results in every aspect of preparation and planning of one's activity or work.
Delays can be caused through:
- Person-to-person agreement. Well, most of us will blame traffic if we experience delay during dates or personal transactions.Whether you have a personal car or rent-a-cab, the bottom line of delay is always blame others for scapegoat. It's the same with business transactions. A last-minute change of plans will trigger the delay of the sealing of contract and the like.
- People versus Nature. If nature intervenes, as for rain showers, storms or even earthquake, we can do nothing about it. There will always be delays in our personal and business transactions.
Blessings in Disguise?
Since I am a person of many interests, I've been juggling my time working at the barangay local government unit and at the same time, moonlighting at local film productions, writing online, emceeing over at local activities and more.
My possibilities of gaining extra income are endless. I always plan my day-to-day activities but intermissions always delay my personal plans.
My mother will always say that it should be with God's blessings. If not, my plan will never work out well.
Just of late, I promised my two nieces (who are in their college years) that I will treat them for lunch since I'll be receiving my payout or talent fee as an actor at the recently concluded short film festival.
My director's promise to send the money was delayed due to his prior engagement. So, my plan went nowhere.
I went frantic or even berserk, since I got prior plans that I should accomplish for the day.
Then, brownout happened until five in the afternoon. So, I can't encode the day's transaction at the barangay's office.
Many factors delayed my plans for the day. I can't leave the office and go to the city for our lunch date.
I can't even contact the director as he closed his cellular phone due to his ongoing seminar.
The day went by unproductive.
I've eaten my lunch and had a nap inside the office, until a visitor came.
He's from nearby province and he's selling replicas of the Holy Family (Jesus , Mary & Joseph), Baby Jesus icons and Mother Mary.
As he told his story about his family and his occupation, an afternoon downpour of rain got us 'captive' inside the barangay hall.
I tend to go home but I became interested with his job as transient vendor. He's full of colorful experiences as a peddler of such merchandise going to many cities and far flung barangays , such as ours.
Well, to close my day's episode of delay, it's not unproductive as I thought it was.
Surely, God reminds me again of one of the virtues called PATIENCE.
Most of us are used to quick or fast results, not even thinking or considering the fate or situation of other people whom we deal with.
The lesson here is: I have to slow down and have a reflection on what I did for a week, for a month or even the my half-year performances as a public servant.
Effects of Delay
Story of Delay: My cat saved me from a venomous snake!
True accounts of delay always bring positive results in the end. As if, an Unseen Hands of God are preventing us to be involved in a rush action, thereby always leading us to safety.
When I was in elementary grades, I used to fetch water from our jetmatic pump.
I used to go back and forth about ten times before the clay jars for drinking and washing are full of water.
I noticed my cat purring and embracing my feet with her tail. I shooed her and ignore her act since I was running out of time as I want to play at the back yard after my morning chores.
My elder sisters were oblivious of my presence, since they're also busy with their individual chores.
So, the act of my cat made me irritated and shouted at her to go away and scram.
Whenever I went near the pump, I was hearing a hissing sound which I just ignored.
Then, my tenth round came.
My cat was meowing furiously as if she had an enemy there beside the gassy part of the jetmatic pump.
True enough, a very angry and deadly snake, a Philippine cobra, was fighting my pet!
The exchange of scratching , meowing, hissing and biting lasted for minutes as the snake coiled for defeat and crawled its last breath as my fierce cat defeated it with bites and scratches.
My cat looked at me triumphantly and bloodily until it slowly fell down.
I suddenly cried upon knowing that it saved my life from the fangs of death lurking beside our jetmatic pump.
Really, there are factors of delay that will always keep us on safe grounds.We can even considered them heroes of another kind.
Just like my cat.
The Positive Vibes of Delay
At first, you'll always have a negative reaction, but in the end you will exert a long sigh of positivity as you will always be saved in a tight situation you are in.
Strings of events always happen with both bad and good luck. Call it Yin-Yang in Chinese.
The good and bad sides of everything (whether its about person, event or things) are always intertwined with it.
We've heard stories of delay, in games, personal dates, business transactions, national or even worldwide events and it always end up with good results.
Frustrations, irritations and violent reactions will loom over our minds because we have delayed flights, failed marriage and bankrupt business.
But in the end, there will be positive results out of all the negativity that you've experienced for years.
We must keep ourselves sane and think out-of-the-box.
Words to Live By about Delays
- Some of our important choices have a time line. If we delay a decision, the opportunity is gone forever. Sometimes our doubts keep us from making a choice that involves change. Thus an opportunity may be missed. (James E. Faust)
- The greatest remedy for anger is delay. (Thomas Paine)
- Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker. Failure is delay, not defeat. It is a temporary detour, not a dead end. Failure is something we can avoid only by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing. (Denis Waitley)
- Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty. (Tacitus)
- Change your life today. Don't gamble on the future, act now, without delay.(Simone de Beauvoir)
What we don't want to think is to...
Related Literature on Delays feat. Child Development
As I broadened my topic here, I will also share with you about my nephew who's experiencing delays in speech development.
His parents got frustrated at first due to their family doctor's diagnosis that their first child is suffering from mild autism.
Yes, we're new to this problem, since my sister can't still accept the fact that her firstborn is having a delayed development especially in communication.
Eye-contact was cured through therapy. Most autistic children don't do eye contact with their parents whenever they talk or want something.
Their child, through speech therapy, can now express what he feels or what he wants.
Little by little, with patience and TLC (tender-loving-care), my nephew is now able to cope up with what is happening in his environment.
There is much pressure to be dealt with in this kind of delay.
Awhile ago, I am sharing with you my frustrations about delays in personal transactions and businesses, but at home, this kind of delay is too emotional to tackle with.
(Note: I am linking a video on Child Development Problem courtesy of rosaryfilms for further understanding about this case.)
Early Recognition Of Child Development Problems / Educational Video c/o rosaryfilms
Talking about Delays
Did you get angry whenever you experience delays?See results without voting
God delays an event for a purpose.
This hubber is indebted to...
- Sources of Delays, stories, pictures, videos and quotes that made this article possible.
- People whom I dealt with everyday that made every delay in my life worthy of remembering.
- Fellow hubbers who's ready to share their Stories of Delay on HubPages.
- Most of all to God, who always provide us something positive whenever there are events of delay in our lives.
More by this Author
Are we still living up to the example set by The Good Samaritan, one of the parables shared by the Son of God, Jesus Christ?Are we still willing to help others in dire need?Are we like the Samaritan?
Have you heard about the popularity of Coco Juice os Buko Juice in the USA today? Americans are craving for this health juice drink instead of soda in order to combat obesity and other health deficiencies. Read more...
High school students are always interested in friendship during this stage of education. Making friends and creating groups are but some of their most anticipated pastime. However, some students can be very cautious in...