Life 101 - Why we believe in luck
Good Luck, Good Health, God Bless You
Whether verbal felicitations before competing in a game or fight or closing a message in a letter of encouragement, "Good Luck!" will always be heard or read.
Those two words give boost or hope to a person who's in dire need of positive consolation.
My wild guesses why saying 'good luck' is apparent centuries ago
- Adam and Eve Days - When they were lured by the serpent to eat the fruit of tree of knowledge of good and bad, maybe they uttered the words, "Good luck to us!" Or had they known that phrase so early?
- Cave Man Days - The period was of great struggle to stay alive amid the arid forces of nature and the beasts. During hunting expedition, most of them will always bring 'lucky charm' in order to bring home their catch.
- Gladiator Days - Ancients prize fighters compete with ferocious animals, such as lions and tigers in the arena of Rome empire. Prisoners and outlaws who were forced to act as gladiators exchanged words of hope to stay strong in order not to be eaten alive by those animals. "May the gods and goddesses give you luck."
- Invention Years - Those are the period that modernism was being pursued by almost all people in the world, let's say from 15th century up to the present. Luck is always associated with the successes and losses of the alchemists, now scientists. "EUREKA!" Is it Archimedes who shouted that word when he accidentally discovered 'something'?
The Chinese 'Lucky Charms'
The most prominent people who believe in LUCK are the Chinese.Selling lucky charms is a booming business, even here in the Philippines.Those charms can be a chain of precious stones and other paraphernalia that believers are eager to buy.
Every year, as they celebrate their New Year they've been giving out 'lucky charms' for free.
With the readings predicted by Zodiac astrologers, lucky days or lucky years are given as basis by persons in their day-to-day activities.
Is it Luck or Miracle? Or Karma?
Scenes of everyday life, in the countryside or city affect the meaning of 'luck'.
- In the countryside, lucky for you if you got a good harvest of wheat, barley, potatoes, rice and other farm produce.
- In the city, you're lucky if you aren't delayed by the traffic. The hustle and bustle of main thoroughfares will always wish you for a karmic act of luck. You're lucky if you will not become a victim of thieves and other notorious people who are lurking the city, especially at night.
More often than not, many believe that luck is also a factor that brings one's business in a successful level.
Most of us also follow the 'Golden Rule' that if you do good things daily, it will bring you luck and prosperity in life.
All faith denominations advocate luck in many ways.
Do you believe in karma?
In Buddhism, it's basically an act of a person to literally execute good deeds, so that if he/she is given a change to be reincarnated, he/she will be in higher form, such as human again.
It reaches the shore of my country and once you commit mistakes, one of your friends will say, "Hala ka! Baka ma-karma ka niyan." (Hey! I'm afraid you'll get bad karma."
Do animals bring bad luck?
Since I was a child, I was told by my mother to evade 'black cat' whenever walking on the road from school to our house.
When one of our cats sired a black cat, mom told my elder sister to get rid of it.
The superstition that black cats bring bad lack is overrated in time. Do we have to blame the innocent animals when we lose in the game or met an accident. It's the other way around; our carelessness results bad things in us.
Or it is just coincidence.
There's this night bird which is associated with bad luck. We call it 'tiktik' due to its queer sound.It is believed to be accompanying an 'aswang' a flesh-eating humanoid who is responsible for pregnant women's miscarriages, in the far flung barangays.
Horror movies often depict such animals of bringer of bad luck.
It is already embedded in human culture around the world, or maybe during the early civilization of known cultures, like Egyptians, superstitious belief will never disappear amid the advancement in science and technology.
Knowing your luck by Feng-shui
It is a Chinese astrology that makes Filipinos and other people embrace the effectiveness of Feng-shui (fung-soy) when it comes to bringing luck at home.
Starting from the placement of bagwa (that octagonal lucky charm with mirror at the center), at the door, arrangement of furniture in the living, dining and bed rooms, any bad luck will be controlled by the proper directions of those materials things.
Even the construction of the house or any commercial buildings, Chinese people believe that humans and nature can live harmoniously by properly designing the residential or public edifices.
There's one Chinese architect who received much ridicule in his homeland China due to the wrong design and placing of the building.
From what I have observed during my recent visit in Zhejiang, as part of ship's conduction team last October 25, 2012, the strictly observe Feng-shui in most of their activities.
One can admire the design of the building, the park and arrangement of commune-residences done in accordance with Feng-shui.
Do I believe in luck?
Perhaps, when I was young then, the words, "good luck" from my teachers and parents triggered me to win many academic contests.
But the bottom-line is, I owe to myself, since I studied and reviewed meticulously whenever I am competing in a Quiz Show, Poster Making Contest, Extemporaneous Speech, Mathematical Olympiad and even Songwriting and Amateur Singing Contest.
Those were all part of my lucky days. Hmnnn?
But as I get older, I have less trust in luck. Why?
I came to realize that I have to sweat it out if I want to succeed in life. I have to work for it.
God has given us many gifts in order to enhance and use in good ways. Even the handicapped have their own special talents.
We just have to strive in order to attain and reach the pinnacle of our goals in lives.
And it's not just by believing that we are lucky.
It's the reality of life.
What other hubbers say about Luck
- Do You Believe in Luck?
Is luck science or fate? An article looking at superstitions.
- How To Be Successful And Truly Wealthy - Believe In ...
Throughout the years, there were too many times to count where I was so negative and down in the dumps, I didn’t allow myself to work at improving my situation. I would just sit there and feel sorry for myself instead of taking action to...
More by this Author
Buying fruits in the market can be all-year round. This is because we always need fruits for regulation of wastes in our body, aside from the nutrients and minerals we get from eating fruits. However, pulps of some...
Have you heard about the popularity of Coco Juice os Buko Juice in the USA today? Americans are craving for this health juice drink instead of soda in order to combat obesity and other health deficiencies. Read more...
Aside from raising your own children, or just starting a family, why not indulge yourself into another interesting hobby: raising herds of ducks in your own home at your backyard? This will be suitable for you while...