Maine Crazy Laws, Trivia, and Fun Facts
Maine trivia and fun facts
- The first naval battle of the Revolutionsry War was fought off Machias in 1775.
- York, established in 1641 is Americas first chartered city.
- Maine's earliest inhabitants were descendents of Ice Age hunters.
- Joshua L. Chamberlain born is Brewer, Maine received the only battlefield promotion to General during the Civil War. He was also the last Civil War soldier to die of wounds incurred in war.
- Maine produces 90% of the countries toothpicks.
- The nation's first sawmill was established near York in 1623.
- Togus, founded in 1866, was the first Veteran's Hospital in the US.
- Maine's blueberry crop is the largest in the nation. It produces 99% of all blueberries in the country.
- There is a cannery in Wilton that cans and imports only dandelion greens.
- Eastport is the only US owned principality that has been under rule by a foreign government. It was held from 1814 to 1818 by British troops under King George following the conclusion of the was of 1812.
- Maine has over 5,000 miles of Coastline, more than California.
- Maine is the only state in the US whose name has one syllable.
Crazy Maine Laws
- Shoelaces must be tied when walking down the street in Portland, Maine.
- It is illegal to blow one's nose in public in Waterville, Maine.
- It is illegal to catch lobsters with your bare hands.
- Advertisements may not be placed in cemeteries in Wells, Maine.
- It is illegal to stroll down a street while playing a violin in Augusta, Maine.
- In Portland it is illegal to tickle a woman's chin with a feather duster.
- Murcury thermometers may not be sold in the city of Freeport.
- You may not step out of an airplane while in flight.
- Dog leashese may not be over eight feet in length is Waterboro.
- After January 14th you will be charged a fine for having you Christmas decorations still up.
Other Crazy Law Hubs by KoffeeKlatch Gals
- Crazy Indiana Laws
1. Baths may not be taken between the months of October and March. Stinky, stinky 2. It is illegal to sell laughing gas with the intent to cause laughter. 3. It is against the law to attend a...
- Mississippi Crazy Laws, Fun Facts and Trivia
Mississippi River from veranda of Nottoway Plantation. Image from freelargehhotos.com Promising to marry a woman to seduce her is illegal in Mississippi. It is illegal to teach others what pologmy is. ...
- Nebraska Crazy Laws, Fun Facts, and Trivia
Lincoln, Nebraska at Sunset Image from bing.com/images Donut holes may not be sold in Lehigh, Nebraska. It is illegal to fly a plane when drunk. In Waterloo, Barbers are forbidden to eat onions between 7...
- Kentucky Crazy Laws and Trivia
All bees entering Kentucky shall be accompanied by sertificates of health, stating the apiary from which the bees came from was free from contagious or infectious disease. In Bellevue, Kentucky it is...
- Nevada Crazy Laws, Fun Facts, and Trivia
In Reno benches may not be placed in the middle of the street. It is illegal to have a "house of ill fame" within 400 yards of a church or school. It is illegal to drive a camel down the highway. In Las...
More by this Author
Montana is one of the most beautiful states I've seen. The mountains, streams, and lakes make it a nature lovers dream.
Alaska is one of the most beautiful state in North America. It is a spot where you have the best fishing and hunting along with views that you won't believe.
It's never too early to start making your homemade gifts for the Holidays. You will find dozens of free crossstitch patterns to suit your every need. There's nothing more personal than a homemade gift.