How to Make A Cat Figurine from Used Plastic Bottles.
All kinds of used bottles potentially pollute the environment if they are not treated appropriately through reduce, reuse, or recycle.
Here I have an idea how to give those bottles added value so that they can be used as ornaments, crafts, or maybe something saleable.
Why cat ?
Cat is one of my favorite animals and many other people also see it as a cute, cuddly creature. You know what, cats are also "respectable" animals in my place because some stories (or myths) they have. One of the myths widely known for long time says that a driver who happens to run over a cat and causes it die, is obliged to bury the cat's body otherwise something may endanger his journey in the street.
The story may be merely a myth but many take it into account to avoid the consequence I have mentioned above.
Let's Make A Cat from Plastic Bottles.
We need two plastic bottles of any size and of course the size of the bottle you use will determine the size of the cat you make too.
Here I use two bottles of 600 ml volume. One for the body and head, the other one for legs and tail.
Materials and tools.
1. Two plastic bottle of 600 ml in volume.
3. PVC glue
4. White tissue or thin paper
5. Small brush.
6. Paints if necessary.
8. Color paper.
9. Marbles or seeds.
Here are step-by-step of the project :
1. Wash two plastic bottles cleanly. From the first bottle cut the upper and bottom parts. We'll use the middle part (the bottle's body) as the cat's body.
2. Cut another plastic bottle and cut its upper and bottom parts too. We're going to make 4 legs and a tail from this second bottle while the bottom and the upper parts are going to be used as head and rump.
3. Cut the body of this bottle longitudinally into 5 parts: 4 parts for legs, 1 for tail. For the legs, roll each of them like a cone, and for the tail roll it like as slim as a cigarette. Use some sellotape to keep the rolls in their shapes.
4. Since legs are not as long as the tail, make the four shorter by cutting them to certain length of proportionally a cat legs and make sure that back legs have bigger thigh than front legs do, while for the tail let the length be as it is.
5. Place each leg on the body and the tail, and again secure them using sellotape to keep them in firm positions.
6. You can use the lower and upper parts of the bottle as the cat's rump and head. Place them (rump and head parts) a little bit upward so that they give the cat more natural looks. Again use sellotape to tighten them.
7. Create the facial parts, like cheeks, mouth and nose using some paper crumplings and glue them on the face parts.
Don't forget to give ears too. Ears consists of a pair of two small triangles made of carton and stick them on top of the head.
8. After all body parts set on their places, now you can cover (layer) the whole of the body with thin paper or tissue paper. I like to use tissue paper better since it's much more flexible than thin paper so that it can used to cover every crevice and dent. To prepare the glue for the pasting, just dilute some PVC glue with water then use the diluted glue to stick layering thin paper or tissue paper on the whole body.
9. Don't forget to give feet. You can do this in the middle of pasting process too.
After all the layering done, let it dry. It takes 1-2 days (at room temperature around 35º ) to be completely dried.
10. After the cat's dried then we can give some mustaches around its nose. You can use some fibers as the mustaches. Dip the tip of the fibers one by one and stick them in slanted position on each cheek of the cat. Let it dry.
11. Give it eyes. You can use marbles or some kinds like seeds. You just glue them on the right place on its face and paste the eyes' back with some layers of thin or tissue paper to give them eye lids.
12. The last step is coloring. You can use any colors you like or using papier mâché technique.
Try it yourself !.
More by this Author
I'd like to share another way to recycle PET plastic bottle : Make it into a flamingo figurine. Just follow the easy step-by-step instructions and you can make a pretty flamingo of your own !.
Everyone has a role and responsibility in protecting environment. Let's show our concern by making actions although the action is only a simple one like avoiding or minimizing the use of plastic bags .
Nice smell laundry will boost our confidence and makes the wearer more spirited. Here are some tips how to make laundry clean, smells great in practical, economical, and environmentally friendly ways.