Michigan Crazy Laws, Fun Facts and Trivia
Crazy Michigan Laws
- It is illegal to sleep in a bathtub in Detroit, Michigan.
- Smoking in bed is illegal in the state of Michigan.
- A woman living in Michigan cannot cut her hair without her husbands permission.
- It is legal for a robber to file a law suit if he or she got hurt in your house.
- In Detroit it is illegal to make love in a car unless it is parked on you property.
- In Rochester, Michigan, anyone wearing a bathing suit must have that bathing suit inspected by an officer of the law.
- The use of the names of dead presidents to sell alcohol is prohibited in Michigan.
- The last Sunday in June was named log cabin day on June 16, 1989.
- Any person over the age of 12 may have a license for a handgun as long as he or she has not been convicted of a felony.
- No man may seduce and corrupt an unmarried girl, or he risks five years in prison.
- You may not swear in front of women or children in the state of Michigan.
- In Detroit it is illegal to loiter in the city morgue.
Michigan Fun Facts and Trivia
- Michigan was the first state to guarantee every child the right to tax-paid high school education.
- Michigan has around 150 lighthouses, the most of any U. S. State.
- Michigan produces about 75 percent of the tart cherries grown in the United States.
- Ottawa Indians were Grand Rapids' first inhabitants.
- Michigan had the longest freshwater shoreline in the world.
- The painted turtle is Michigan's state reptile.
- Michigan is home to more public golf courses that any other state.
- Four flags have flown over Michigan - French, English, Spanish, and United States.
- Michigan is the only place in the world with a floating post office. The J. W. Westcott II is the only boat in the world that delivers mail to ships while they are still underway. They have been operating for 125 years.
- In 1879 Detroit telephone customers were the first in the nation to be assigned phone numbers to facilitate handling calls.
- Michigan has more than 4,000 miles of snowmobile trails..
- Vernors ginger ale was created in Detroit and became the first soda pop made in the United States. In 1862, pharmacist James Vernor was trying to create a new beverage when he was called away to serve our country in the Civil War. When he returned, 4 years later, the drink he had stored in an oak case had acquired a delicious gingery flavor.
- Colon, Michigan is home to the world's largest manufacturer of magic supplies.
- In 1945 Grand Rapids was the first city in the U. S. to add floride to its drinking water.
- Standing anywhere in the state of Michigan a person is within 85 miles of one of the Great Lakes.
- The Michigan Accent and Michiganders' Slang Words
The guide to the Michigan accent, pronunciation, and commonly used slang words. In Michigan: We go tuh the store, not
- Exploring Pure Michigan: The Top 10 Places You Must ...
Forget anything negative you may have heard about Michigan; the so-called
- Best Places to Visit on Lake Michigan
There is so much to see along the Lake Michigan shoreline. Take a week and drive around the fifth largest lake in the world.
- Why Many Love Marquette, a Lake Superior port in the...
Marquette is a small city, but the largest in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It is a university town, a Great Lakes port, and a regional hub of commerce, culture, and recreation.
- Unions killed Michigan
Labor Unions Killed Michigan; Henry Ford, auto industry, closed shops, monopoly on labor, strikes, sinecures, Rust Belt, Japanese car makers, Right to Work,
More by this Author
Montana is one of the most beautiful states I've seen. The mountains, streams, and lakes make it a nature lovers dream.
Everyone knows about Las Vegas, Nevada. We all know it's the favorite place to visit. Did you know that 80% of all visitors to Las Vegas return for another visit?
Every color has it's own special meaning. Have you ever wondered what makes a hospital paint their walls a cool green? Read and find out.